Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2008, 13:33   #46
Senior - BHPian

Dad used to work in an STU, and he said that Leylands were usually usually sent on hilly routes, because they pulled better, while tatas were used on more level ground , because they were more FE oriented
Old 10th February 2008, 00:26   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Bus body is made by a coach builder from mumbai called anthony hence the similarity.

u may be right in saying that anthony made it for PMT but as far as i know, the MUTP BEST BS3 buses, which are here in mumbai are not made by anthony. there are sevral other coach bulders now. some old ones like bharat and in-coach and new ones like starline, binwa, rekhi, trimurti nilima etc.and many others.. but i havent see any MUTP bus made by anthony yet.
Old 10th February 2008, 01:36   #48
Team-BHP Support

ARCO is a major coach builder for local transport buses in cities.
Old 11th February 2008, 20:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

As greenhorn pointed out, Leyland buses pull much better with heavy loads on hilly terrain and is a favorite with the STU's. Leyland's had air brake, hydraulic clutch etc much much before than TATA put it on their buses. I prefer Leyland to TATA.

But the buying in STU's is entirely on the whim of the ruling donkeys, huge underhand dealings go on in the buying of buses as the STU's buy in lots. In fact, some of the parties in Kerala push for the Transport portfolio to make gains from these. Some ministers even call the company representative directly to his chamber and negotiate deals, whereas it should actually be the KSRTC MD(this is Kerala I am talking abt) who should be taking a decision.

Tata has sometimes pushed buses of questionable quality in some of the deals too, I hear. KSRTC used to have a Leyland bias, but TATA's have pushed so hard to put it on even keel nowadays. Easy money for the politicians.

Last edited by kuttapan : 11th February 2008 at 20:28.
Old 15th February 2008, 01:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Dad used to work in an STU, and he said that Leylands were usually usually sent on hilly routes, because they pulled better, while tatas were used on more level ground , because they were more FE oriented

I have been to many places in the hilly areas of Northern/North Eastern India (Himachal, Uttaranchal, J&K, UP, Assam, Manipur, Arunachal, even Rajasthan and UP). The number of Leylands we have seen there has been very limited.

In Calcutta, its very rare to find a Leyland that does not belong to STU. There's no prize for guessing why the Leylands end up at the STU's.

As per me, I like the Tata refined sound more than the "kharrum kharrum" nasal snout of the Leyland engines and their Simple Harmonic motion offtake from rest is really annoying.

Last edited by 1100D : 15th February 2008 at 01:44.
Old 15th February 2008, 03:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I have been to many places in the hilly areas of Northern/North Eastern India (Himachal, Uttaranchal, J&K, UP, Assam, Manipur, Arunachal, even Rajasthan and UP). The number of Leylands we have seen there has been very limited.
Currently, almost all of the buses owned by the UP STU are Leyland. No Tata's at all.
Old 15th February 2008, 04:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Currently, almost all of the buses owned by the UP STU are Leyland. No Tata's at all.
What about the private ones?
Old 15th February 2008, 05:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about the private ones?
Completely TATA, no Leyland's at all.
Old 15th February 2008, 19:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

A few years back, I was talking to one Mr. Balwan Singh, who happened to be a bus driver. I asked him why there were so many TATA's and so few Leyland's in Delhi.He said that the AL's were good buses, but service and parts were hard to come by as the market was dominated by TATA.

More TATA buses in HP does not necessarily mean that they are better suited for that terrain, just that AL has been unable to penetrate that market yet. Both Tata and AL has special chasis with with a higher final reduction ratio to suit hills better. Reduces top speed, but climbs better.
Old 15th February 2008, 19:40   #55
Senior - BHPian

Does any one know what are the engine specs of the buses & trucks available in India?
Old 15th February 2008, 20:27   #56
Senior - BHPian

About 5 to 6 litres displacement, 120 bhp or thereabouts of power.

The new turbo engines probably make more.
Old 15th February 2008, 21:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
A few years back, I was talking to one Mr. Balwan Singh, who happened to be a bus driver. I asked him why there were so many TATA's and so few Leyland's in Delhi.He said that the AL's were good buses, but service and parts were hard to come by as the market was dominated by TATA.

More TATA buses in HP does not necessarily mean that they are better suited for that terrain, just that AL has been unable to penetrate that market yet. Both Tata and AL has special chasis with with a higher final reduction ratio to suit hills better. Reduces top speed, but climbs better.
I have heard exactly the opposite from a Darjeeling Gorkha Hill council driver. The case could be comparison of dissimilar models, but thats upto marketing department of the respective companies to sell the right product.

If AL has not been able to penetrate the private market in non-south areas, what could be the reason that the other company is being able to do so. And as iraghava pointed out total STU of UP is now AL, when the private operators use Tata. Its similar in Kolkata as well although its still easy to spot a Tata in the STU as well.

The night bus services between Kolkata and Siliguri used to be called as "rocket" service, as the Busses mostly State operated used to be driven fast between these two cities. Very soon the private operators joined, most of their vehicles were Tata's, then newly launched 1510. On one such trip our new AL "rocket" was being constantly beaten by the private ones. The driver was annoyed, he was resorting to blocking and all, but we could see the tata monsters just dip-dim in all its glory. Same case on the way back but this time, I had dumped the rocket ticket to take the real one, the sound, refinement was a plus. Some of us dont even want to get on a "kharrum kharrum" AL.
Old 15th February 2008, 23:25   #58
srh
BHPian

Quote:
On one such trip our new AL "rocket" was being constantly beaten by the private ones. The driver was annoyed, he was resorting to blocking and all, but we could see the tata monsters just dip-dim in all its glory. Same case on the way back but this time, I had dumped the rocket ticket to take the real one, the sound, refinement was a plus.
Could be that one vehicle had a speed governor and the other didn't
Old 16th February 2008, 02:21   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Could be that one vehicle had a speed governor and the other didn't
Yes the AL STU bus had it. Before starting from the stand the driver and the helper disengaged it. That was what they used to do then, drive out of the depot, then disengage the governor then engage it, while taking it from stand to the depot. I am talking about early to mid 90's here.

Last edited by 1100D : 16th February 2008 at 02:23.
Old 18th February 2008, 19:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

If seeing is believing, then I have seen KSRTC buses overtake private TATA's on Wynad Ghats. Different buses, different drivers, different results. I guess we cannot reach a conclusion until someone actually does a comprehensive roadtest against each other.

Most Viewed