Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2020, 13:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Covid-19: School bus operators on the verge of collapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
Don’t you think you are being a bit unfair in making such generalised statements? Have you ever taken a deeper look into what it takes to run a school? I am from the education field and have worked with some of the topmost educationists in the country for 16 years. So I can speak with some authority on this subject..
I am entirely glad for them to ask for fees. However, there are schools that charge anywhere between 2 to 4 lakh a year, as you are aware, with a detailed breakup of charges some of which must be paid while some others become entirely redundant during a wfh and pandemic.

Even if they used the school bus fee to pay for a corporate license for Zoom / Webex / Google Classroom, that'd be great, but many schools, even the over charging variety, are managing with the free version that cuts off at 40 minutes (which is the specific length of a period so they seem entirely fine with it).

Add all the management fee, building fee etc that keeps getting collected - yes they have to build infrastructure, but when the costs of paying for construction or contracting for a school bus remain much the same, it is a wonder just how so many schools charge widely different rates for their students. And yet they all get the tin box on 4 wheels non AC Tata and AL buses painted yellow, if they aren't organising anything from Tempo Travelers to those antique Mahindra Jeep vans. it isn't like a school charging 4 lakh a year gets a Volvo or Scania coach for their students.

There are many similar instances where, while I am entirely in favor of a school being run as a commercial enterprise, I begin to smell price gouging rather than an understandable urge to stay solvent and afloat in such trying times.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 18:26   #17
BHPian

As far as my children's school is concerned they have asked us to pay 2/3 of the bus fees. I'm happy to pay that because I do not want to see a new bus driver when schools reopen. The current drivers know the kids well and take very good care of them.
DPS also has been proactive and kept the parents updated that they have been able to pay full salaries of the drivers. They have not spent on fuel and other consumables and have passed on the benefit to the parents.
Bad times show people's true colours. A lot of people have not paid, but another lot have been supportive. It takes all kinds I guess.
hkborah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 20:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
In these testing times, should schools stop paying the teachers? Should teachers with more than 10 to 15 years experience be asked to leave as the schools are unable to pay their salaries. What happens when schools finally open up and physical classes start? Where are the teachers when schools had to let them go due non payment of salaries?
Schools are one of the worst hit due to the Pandemic. Teachers and all the allied workforce in a school are someone whom the students and parents develop trust over a long period of time.

In these trying times, it is very difficult for the schools to loose or let go of their trustworthy and valuable employees. Parents seem to complain teachers are not doing much / work load shifted home from school etc. But trusted people are the important. and the online classes etc are new for the teachers as well. Quite a few of them are parents themselves too.

Those of use who can afford, we need to be considerate and pay the school fees. Again there will be instances where some of the kids parents may have lost their source of livelihood. Schools need to take care of such students as well. It is a delicate balance.
Old 9th August 2020, 22:45   #19
BHPian

While their and a lot of other similar service industry staff's predicament is understood - I see the need to have get them some wages. But should that be full wages - Knowing they are also incurring reduced expenses? Schools/bus agencies are not incurring fuel costs or maintenance costs. Some rationalization has to be done around this.
A little off topic but relevant: Back in my apartment complex in Pune, residents are paying 75% to household help (who are not working) and the expectation is that when things come back to normalcy, not to bicker on smaller things. Some enterprising people have started home meal service so income stream is on + getting paid from regular employers. Justified?
Old 9th August 2020, 23:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

There was no increase in school fee for my kids and they have increased number of installments to four from earlier three. School bus fee is collected separately and school did not ask for the same. Hope the school is paying salaries to staffs.
Old 10th August 2020, 01:01   #21
BHPian

While I understand that these are daily wage workers, these are some of the points I strongly disagree with:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

[1]Increase the age limit of school buses from 8 years to 20 years in Mumbai and other areas of Maharashtra from 15 years to 20 years

[2]Experience of 5years to drive school bus to be abolished if driver has bus badge or heavy passenger vehicle driving licence.

[3]Subsidized fuel rates for school buses like BEST & MSRTC

[4]Harassment by traffic cops to school buses during drop and pickup of students

[5]Banning of illegal private vans plying as school buses
Here are my reasons why:

1) I've seen many school buses which are within eight years of use that are in a pathetic condition. We know how prompt these guys are when it comes to maintaining their busses. I remember a story of my friend's school back in the day where kids we're going to a picnic in their school bus which included a 5 hours long school bus journey. The bus ended up breaking down in some remote location, leaving all the kids stranded. While this was not only a big red flag showcasing neglect of bus maintenance but also a big safety hazard for the kids on board since it became dark as early hours of evening approached. Prove that you can maintain your busses in the short run only after which older busses will be allowed to operate.

2) Clearly, this rule was made considering the safety of the young population that rides the school bus. The number of accidents would have been much higher with more school children casualties had more inexperienced drivers been allowed to drive a school bus. Besides, we know how rash these guys drive anyway.

3) What's next? Subsidised fuel rates for public cabs and rickshaws as well? Why not? After all, even they are daily wage workers. If this goes through, expect more public transport unions to start protesting for the same privilege.

4) Correction! Drop and pick up should strictly be drop and pick up. Not those 10 minutes wasted blocking the road every morning, waiting below the house of every single child to pick them up. Staying close to a school I approve of this. A hoard of yellow busses block the road causing a traffic jam, increasing other commuters time in the morning by a good 15 minutes! BTW, Their double parking skills are amazing . Cops don't just harass them, they harass everyone, but sometimes they also prevent us from being harassed by them.

5) Excuse me? That's like one poor guy cutting the stomach of another poor guy. All private vans that are not painted yellow are illegal for them. Look, I know school bus providers are going into a financial crisis, so are the private school tempo providers, yes they use their vehicles for school use and the other times as uber. Why not? As long as they get a tourist license and plate, they are allowed by all means to be used as public transport. IMO, years ago, I remember my parents always choose to send me by private school tempo as a kid. Why? They were more convenient, more comfortable, gave special attention to occupants, provided faster travel thanks to being smaller allowing to pass through traffic easily and were more lax when it came to pick up timings giving a little longer buffer in case a child became late. If the parents think they provide a better deal by providing more safety and convenience to their child, then who are they to stop them. I'll send my child by whatever vehicle I feel comfortable with. After all, no one is giving gratis service, and I am paying money either way for both. Besides, what if I plan to send my car with my kid, who carpools it with his school friends. Is that illegal for them?

All in all, the Govt should provide some support to them by all means, everyone works to feed their family and times like these bring a lot of hardship, we have to help each other especially the poverty struck, but not to an extent where they sit on everyone's head. And I'm not even going to touch on the exorbitant inflation of fees being charged by them to parents in the recent days, and the fact that they are still taking money even when schools are closed and children are at home.

Last edited by Starfire : 10th August 2020 at 01:14.
Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 06:57   #22
BHPian

I find it shocking to read about bus drivers not being paid, teachers being given 4 to 5 k a month instead of the 30+k that they are entitled to, despite working harder on digital classes and assessments. Many are saying that parents are not paying the fees- this was true earlier, but not now. Most good schools have recovered the dues, but the money has not reached the staff. Many teachers are on the verge of bankruptcy.

If you visit a private school in my city, you will find the owner driving a brand new 1 crore Mercedes bought recently. His son drives a similar priced SUV.

Irony is that the school buses are old Tempo travellers spewing black smoke which were repainted. God knows about the brakes.

Most of the money paid to private schools ends up being pocketed for luxuries of the owner. That's fine in normal times, but it is toxic to see a new luxury car being bought while the institution claims to not have the money to pay salaries.
Cessna182 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed