Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2020, 18:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

BEST to buy 100 new upgraded double-decker buses for Mumbai

Some GOOD NEWS to Cheer up Double Decker Bus lovers.

BEST to buy 100 new upgraded double-decker buses for Mumbai.

Quote:
The city is likely to get new double-decker buses by next year. In a major upgrade in its fleet, the BEST has decided to procure 100 upgraded double-decker buses equipped with advanced features that will make commute smoother and safer for passengers. BEST has floated tenders for procurement of these buses on November 11 which will open on December 7.

The new double decker buses will have capacity of around 70 passengers. They will be operated on automated manual transmission and will be BS-VI compliant that aims at reducing pollution. The new fleet will have two-door entrances, rear door and front door, with pneumatic door closers and two staircases provided for smooth movement of passengers as against to one staircase in the double-decker buses at present.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/79239210.cms
RM Motorsports is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 21:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Mumbai's iconic double decker buses to be phased out by 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Some GOOD NEWS to Cheer up Double Decker Bus lovers.

BEST to buy 100 new upgraded double-decker buses for Mumbai.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/79239210.cms
If they want 2 staircases (one as presently existing and an additional one towards the front), then the wheelbase should be increased I feel, and a longer bus should be built. The front staircase should land about 3 feet before the front end of the bus so as to avoid jeopardizing visibility for the driver.

Worthwhile to give it as a design contest for automobile design engrs.
vharihar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:17   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: BEST to buy 100 new upgraded double-decker buses for Mumbai

BEST to buy 100 new upgraded double-decker buses for Mumbai - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
If they want 2 staircases (one as presently existing and an additional one towards the front), then the wheelbase should be increased I feel, and a longer bus should be built.
Extremely happy to hear this. Double decker buses like Kaali Peeli are identity of Mumbai.

Volvo, Scania already has them running in most cities, eg : Singapore.
These are multi axle AC buses. Remains to be seen which model BEST prefers.

My guess is the one shown in below link.
https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...buses/1284629/

Double decker buses are mostly set for smaller routes these days.Gone are days of Route number 66 or No 1 which were longer routes.
I hope some traditional Double decker buses are preserved( In Musuem maybe ) , so that next-gen can see and experience those legacy buses.

Last edited by silverado : 17th November 2020 at 13:13.
silverado is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 14:50   #5
BHPian

BEST is just replacing the 100 odd double deckers they are scrapping from the existing lot. Do not expect any more routes to be added apart from the existing ones. Personally I want them to be reintroduced on the WEH on routes 440 and 40
Old 18th November 2020, 17:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Extremely happy to hear this. Double decker buses like Kaali Peeli are identity of Mumbai.

Volvo, Scania already has them running in most cities, eg : Singapore.
These are multi axle AC buses. Remains to be seen which model BEST prefers.
Since BEST comes under the infamous BMC, I hope they give preferences who bring capabilities on the table and not under
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 17:51   #7
BHPian

Great news. Double decker buses will save lot of traffic, can carry almost double the number of passengers instead of a regular bus. An electric double decker bus will make practical sense in today's day and age.

I really wish if the same happens in Hyderabad too. Recently KTR, Minister of Telangana (IT, Urban development and Industries) and Son of Telangana C.M KCR) asked transport minister Mr.Puvvada Ajay about the probability of bringing double decker buses back on Hyderabad roads.

https://twitter.com/KTRTRS/status/13...689510913?s=19

BEST to buy 100 new upgraded double-decker buses for Mumbai-screenshot_20201118173739267_com.twitter.android.jpg

BEST to buy 100 new upgraded double-decker buses for Mumbai-images-5.jpeg

BEST to buy 100 new upgraded double-decker buses for Mumbai-img_20201118_173750.jpg

BEST to buy 100 new upgraded double-decker buses for Mumbai-hyderabad_doubledeckerbus_13112020.jpg

It was a beautiful sight during my childhood to see these double decker buses especially near Zoo park, Tankbund, Nampally, Abids and Basheerbagh areas.
WhiteSierra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 20:13   #8
BHPian

This brings back my childhood memories of Kolkata. I had a fascination for these double decker buses, used to force my parents to take those routes only and wait for an hour if needed!! I preferred upper deck or the space just behind the driver's seat. And the lower deck used to have different floor levels. So if the bus was found empty I would go up and down!!
I experienced double decker in Mumbai also, mesmerizing view from the upper deck.
Hope we get the chance to enjoy double decker buses once again.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 20:26   #9
BHPian

Double decker buses can carry about 75 seated and 50 standing passengers under peak load. This is much higher than the normal buses. Information sourced from this website.

Of course, it depends on the buses the government buys. I hope they are AC, Euro 6 and from global brands that have proven successful in other countries. The current double deckers in Mumbai are obsolete, and don't do justice to either the driver or the passengers. Here is a driving experience for one of them in 2013. https://www.livemint.com/Leisure/1pg...milestone.html

Locally built buses won't ever live upto the standards of durability shown by buses from Volvo etc. The initial investment will be higher but that can be recovered in the long term.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 18th November 2020 at 20:27.
Cessna182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 23:50   #10
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Bringing back Double Decker buses is really good news. I fondly remember travelling with my grandfather from Andheri to Borivili in a doubledecker bus (210 Ltd). we used to take the bus from the first stop and rush on top to sit right in the front.

The reason Why BEST stopped Double Decker was because there buses were not very feasible and profitable to operate. or peak hours ( 8-9 Am) and ( 7- 9 Pm), they used to run at full capacity. During non peak hours they were almost empty. With so many Metro projects coming up, I wonder how successful Double Deckers will be. Due to height restrictions, then cannot operate on the Metro route.

what I feel BEST should do is introduce Period looking British Leyland buses (London buses) and use them on some scenic routes ...Eg. Marine Drive, Worli Seaface, Bandra Carter Road / probably ever the Bandra worki sealink. like atour bus following a scenic coastal route through Mumbai.
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 09:33   #11
BHPian

Double decker buses were phased out due their running on diesel. The existing lot of double deckers couldn't be converted to cng and we're running at great losses to best. The new double deckers will be cng buses from the start I feel.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 10:19   #12
BHPian

What great news to begin the day! Really happy. The BEST double decker are very distinctive.

As a Dilli-walla who lived in Mumbai for a few years and extensively used public transport, I really admire the Mumbai buses. I continue to wonder why some of their best practices have not been adopted by bus corporations elsewhere. Two examples:

- Windows with metal frame, that would slide up to open: See this image (not able to download due to IPR) for what I mean. To open the window, you would just push it up till it mated with the hook. Very convenient and stable. The metal frame also made sure that they were less prone to breakage.
Compare this with the older DTC buses that slid horizontally and used rubber (that would decay in Delhi weather).

- Before the new set of bus and bus systems introduced under the urban improvement program (I think around 2008-9), the conductors used mechanical punchers to punch the tickets. I used to love their speed and style. In addition, they used a rope and bell system to tell the driver for stops etc. This was replaced by western-style push button system for individual seats - totally useless and not fit for purpose in India.

- Rain protection: my first month in Bombay was July. God, I did not know it could rain that much. I seem to remember that there was space in the buses for water to drain out. Regardless, I believe (without any facts at hand ) that the buses were less prone to breakdown in the rain compared to Delhi buses. I exclude the new set of buses that came after 2008-9 from this comparison.

- Finally, the BEST Bus canteen: what a remarkable innovation in India. Made out of a bus itself and if memory serves me correct, stationed somewhere near the JN Petit library.

This post has triggered my nostalgia for one of India's most interesting cities.
Spaced Out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 12:22   #13

Forgive the segue - but does anyone know we can push back against the recent introduction of the notorious ST [state transport] buses into the BEST fleet?

I know there have been issues with parts, maintenance and funds for the current Mumbai fleet -- which itself is teetering on the verge of decrepitude -- but the STs are an abomination, especially when we are trying to fight pollution in the context of Covid...
Attached Thumbnails
BEST to buy 100 new upgraded double-decker buses for Mumbai-st.jpg  

amitabhnanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 14:42   #14
BHPian

I was so happy to read this. I just hope they get some good vehicles and not make the same blunder like they did with the first batch of AC buses introduced. Luckily the next lot were proper premium upgraded AC models.
Old 19th November 2020, 22:20   #15
BHPian

The memory of boarding 90 Ltd and sitting at top front is un-matchable. In addition, 66 and 85 bring old memories to front. I only wish the new buses are AC to bring a premium aspect and help sustain the service. The ones doing service in London (experienced last year) are quite good.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks