Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 15:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai: Tata delivers 26 electric buses to BEST

Tata Motors has delivered 26 Ultra Urban e-buses to Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST). The buses are part of a larger order of 340 electric buses from BEST under the government’s FAME II initiative.

Mumbai: Tata delivers 26 electric buses to BEST-tata-ebus1.jpg

The 25-seater Tata Ultra Urban AC electric buses are equipped with a ‘Lift Mechanism’ that extends an automated ramp for easy ingress and egress of specially abled passengers. The buses come with ergonomic seats, roomy interiors, utility provisions like charging ports, WiFi hotspot and wide entry and exit passages.

Mumbai: Tata delivers 26 electric buses to BEST-tata-ebus2.jpg

The electric buses are equipped with Intelligent Transport System (ITS), telematics system, regenerative braking system and other features.

Mumbai: Tata delivers 26 electric buses to BEST-tata-ebus3.jpg

The buses have been tested in Himachal Pradesh, Chandigarh, Assam and Maharashtra in diverse terrains. Tata has supplied 215 electric buses in 5 cities across India. In total, the buses have clocked 4 million km.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 4th December 2020 at 15:57.
TusharK is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 20:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Mumbai: Tata delivers 26 electric buses to BEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Tata Motors has delivered 26 Ultra Urban e-buses to Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST).

The buses have been tested in Himachal Pradesh, Chandigarh, Assam and Maharashtra in diverse terrains. Tata has supplied 215 electric buses in 5 cities across India. In total, the buses have clocked 4 million km.

Link to Team-BHP News
I was wondering when we would see these! The 'BYD' are frequently ferrying passengers on major routes. Then there's the new 'Force' tempo travellers converted to a wide body bus. There's also a NEW set of Tata CNG buses.
Very happy to know that these buses are doing well in other cities without niggles. Home grown manufacturers being able to supply for urban needs is a refreshing news!
(P.S. Equally happy to see the ramp for the differently abled, wonder if it will remain operational and well maintained.)
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 01:22   #3
BHPian

Really liked that special door for accessibility. I have never seen anything like this before. I think international bus manufacturer can use this idea. Though I belive a side railing/protection to the lift would have been better addition.
Gurgaon_lyon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 04:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

An interesting design for the wheelchair ramp - I hope it is well maintained and easily accessible. Electric buses are a reality even before I thought they'd be mainstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurgaon_lyon View Post
Really liked that special door for accessibility. I have never seen anything like this before. I think international bus manufacturer can use this idea.
Most buses in the US are low-floor. Hence, they have a simpler ramp that folds out every time a wheelchair has to enter.
Here is the photos of a bus in Chicago:
Mumbai: Tata delivers 26 electric buses to BEST-tata-ebus1.jpg
Quote:
Though I belive a side railing/protection to the lift would have been better addition.
If you observe closely, I think there is a railing to hold on to. Mumbai: Tata delivers 26 electric buses to BEST-inkedtata-ebus1sd.jpg

Photo credits to google images / Team BHP respectively.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 5th December 2020 at 04:36.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 05:07   #5
BHPian

Wow, they come with a lift function! That's nice. Too bad it would never be used in a country like ours and would end up getting spoilt. These BEST Bus drivers don't even spend proper time picking up normal non-disabled passengers. I often find myself and others commuters in a hurry to board and have even missed the bus a couple of times due to the sheer reluctance of the driver to halt at the bus stop for any more than 10 seconds! Its a common sight to see the bus starting to move even before the last or second last passenger has boarded!
Starfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 07:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what's the power train is, what's the battery capacity - I'm assuming it's a BEV (like the Tata Nexon EV which gets its electric motor and battery from China) - I hope we see enough volumes to motivate manufacturers to make these crucial components in India.

Also for large vehicles, we should start investing in Hydrogen Cell EV, as the day is not far more where green Hydrogen will be mass produced, thanks to recent innovations.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 07:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Wow, they come with a lift function! That's nice. Too bad it would never be used in a country like ours and would end up getting spoilt. These BEST Bus drivers don't even spend proper time picking up normal non-disabled passengers. I often find myself and others commuters in a hurry to board and have even missed the bus a couple of times due to the sheer reluctance of the driver to halt at the bus stop for any more than 10 seconds! Its a common sight to see the bus starting to move even before the last or second last passenger has boarded!
While I do not disagree with what you are saying, at least the newer initiatives of the government take into account the structural hurdles for a person with disabilities. Of course, the institutional hurdles and sensitisation is an important part too; regardless, this itself is a good step in the right direction.
N.A.GTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 17:13   #8
BHPian

This is such a positive development! Hope to see more of these everywhere in India.

Anyone know whats the range on these?
adhd92 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed