Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2021, 16:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Trams might be back in Mumbai

Quote:
BKC could soon get a triple transport bonanza if all goes according to plan. Not only would it become the city’s first locality to have a light rail transit (LRT) system, which is a form of passenger urban rail transit characterized by a combination of tram and Metro features ,but also get smart buses (automated rapid transit system) and point-to-point podcars. The LRT would mean a return of trams to Mumbai, where they werep hased out in 1964 after decades of service.

The plan has been initiated by the MMRDA, which is looking at energy-efficient transport services that operate on electric-powered guideway systems. MMRDA had experimented with dedicated bus lanes at BKC, but the experiment was short-lived. Also, an effective temporary narrowing of roads because of Metro work at BKC meant that general traffic had to be allowed on the ‘dedicated lanes'
https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/....cms?prtpage=1
RM Motorsports is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 21:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Trams might be back in Mumbai

Typical Khayali pulao
Dieseltuned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 22:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post

Don't understand why they will not go with trolleybuses.
Old 24th January 2021, 23:08   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Don't understand why they will not go with trolleybuses.
Agreed. Tracks will need a lot of road destruction. Hope they consider the trolleybus idea in detail.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 10:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Agreed. Tracks will need a lot of road destruction. Hope they consider the trolleybus idea in detail.
+1 on the road destruction. Not to mention the untold misery to millions of commuters while the work is ongoing.

I really don't understand the premise for even considering trams or trolleybuses for that matter. We do have electric/CNG buses already deployed. Then why bring back the past? Just for some perceived glory at the tax payer's experience? Or are there some benefits I am not aware of?
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 11:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
+1 on the road destruction. Not to mention the untold misery to millions of commuters while the work is ongoing.

I really don't understand the premise for even considering trams or trolleybuses for that matter. We do have electric/CNG buses already deployed. Then why bring back the past? Just for some perceived glory at the tax payer's experience? Or are there some benefits I am not aware of?

Trolleybuses are a tried and tested technology, and we have the manufacturing capability. Plus they are cheap compared to battery operated buses. The current EV technology is a luxury for a country like India, and this is the reason everyone involved in procuring and operating EVs in the government has their fingers in the pie. I don't see any advantages to using battery operated buses on fixed routes - overhead cables would work out cheaper. I'm sure some expert in this field can give us the relevant details.
Old 28th January 2021, 06:58   #7
BANNED

Firstly the trams came into being around turn of century as diesel engine tech was crude and its technology was at its infancy. Small diesel engines were very cumbersome, noisy and rare to power a bus size vehicle.
Just ask your parents or grand parents about bus journeys in 60s and 70s and there will be stories of diesel smell and all. Diesel engine in cars started appearing in India in 90s around the time INDICA was launched. Just trying to prove my point that small compact and refined diesel engines are a modern phenomenon.

Fast forward to now, we have good battery operated buses produced by our very own home grown makers, TATA and A.Leyland.
So if ""ENVIRONMENTAL"" issue is on the mind, buy 40 to 50 of these electric buses and run it over the small area of BKC or Nariman Point.
I stated this number as all will not be in operation at one time as some will be in depo for charging.

I believe it will be same or may be cheaper than digging up roads, laying tracks, then the overhead wires etc etc.

Also now the BS6 diesel engines with AD BLUE or SCR tech and ultra low Sulphur in our BS6 diesel being commercially sold, is quite clean and can be used for such buses, this will drastically reduce costs.

In my opinion, anything but a tram.
If at all a quick transport system is planned in a localized area like BKC or Nariman Point, it must have its dedicated passage, underground at places, overground or separate lane when at grade. Running diesel engine buses (BS6 or better compliant) or CNG powered buses be sufficient and provide the required flexibility.
norhog is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed