Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:54   #1
Team-BHP Support

Tata Signa 3118.T 3-axle 6x2 truck with 31-tonne GVW launched

Tata Motors has launched the Signa 3118.T - India’s first 3-axle 6x2 (10 wheeler) rigid truck with 31 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW). The truck will be lintroduced in phases across different states and markets.

The Tata Signa 3118.T has a 3,500 kg higher certified payload than the corresponding 28-tonne GVW rigid truck. Tata Motors claims that it has equivalent cost of operations with similar fuel, tyre and maintenance costs as a 28-tonne truck. Tata Motors claims that this will enhance the net operating profit for its customers by ~45% over a 28-tonne truck. The incremental investment on the Signa 3118.T, over the corresponding 28-tonne truck, can be recovered in less than one year of operations.

Tata Signa 3118.T 3-axle 6x2 truck with 31-tonne GVW launched-tata-signa-3118.t.jpg

The Tata 3118.T comes in 24-feet and 32-feet load spans in Signa avatar with Lx, Cx versions, and a cowl variant. The truck is powered by the Cummins BS6 engine, developing 184 BHP and 850 Nm mated to the G950 6-speed transmission.

The Signa 3118.T comes with features like fuel economy switch, gear shift advisor, ICGT brakes, Fleet Edge telematics system with inbuilt anti-fuel theft and reverse parking assistance. The Lx version also comes with air conditioning and unitised wheel bearings.

The Tata Signa 3118.T has a 12.5-tonne dual tyre lift axle configuration. It can operate at 31-tonne GVW with the lift axle down and at 18.5-tonne GVW with the lift axle up, offering a large band of operating payload for various application needs. Operating with lift axle up is suitable for all types of tanker applications – petroleum, oil and lubricants (POL), chemicals, bitumen, edible oil, milk and water, as well industrial good such as packed LPG cylinders, lubricants, agricultural products etc. The Signa 3118.T is certified by Petroleum & Explosives Safety Organization (PESO) for 25KL POL tanker, which is 2KL higher than the highest allowed capacity on a 10-wheeler, 28-tonne GVW truck.

The Signa 3118.T comes with value added services under the Sampoorna Seva 2.0 and a standard driveline warranty of 6 Years / 6 lakh km.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd March 2021 at 13:56.
Aditya is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Signa 3118.T 3-axle 6x2 truck with 31-tonne GVW launched

I find these commercial trucks strangely attractive. That's a handsome lad there, IMO. If there was a beauty contest for them, Tata will beat BharatBenz and Mahindra. Volvo would be a tough competition though.

Also, I have never seen a front ORVM strutting out like that from above the windshield.
amol4184 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I find these commercial trucks strangely attractive. That's a handsome lad there, IMO. If there was a beauty contest for them, Tata will beat BharatBenz and Mahindra. Volvo would be a tough competition though.

Also, I have never seen a front ORVM strutting out like that from above the windshield.
True. I find BharatBenz, especially the new ones really good looking. There are some nicely built ones from Kerala with matching color schemes. Almost looks like an Euro truck.
The Signa range actually still retains the overall look of the old TELCO cabin which used to come built from the factory on the first model of the 6x4 trucks which essentially was a Mercedes Benz design.

The front OVRM is to check the distance from the the front bumper to the object in front of it, from the cabin, which otherwise is not possible. I think it is a safety regulation.

Last edited by tharian : 3rd March 2021 at 17:18.
tharian is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:

You should have seen the Tata Prima truck racing (in past) ones with all the sporty stickers and mods!

The mirror can't be called as ORVM as it is for checking the front section (surrounding).
saikarthik is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I find these commercial trucks strangely attractive.
To be honest, you're not alone - a lot of modern trucks, particularly the blunt nosed ones are handsome vehicles. I don't even mind the boxy lines of trucks clearly designed in the 80s, there's a certain utilitarian charm to them.

I will say this is the first time I've seen an 'eyebrow' mirror mount like that - but I can see how it would be handy for the driver. Low cost way to use eyeball Mk1 instead of a front parking sensor for driving in close proximity to other smaller vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
You should have seen the Tata Prima truck racing (in past) ones with all the sporty stickers and mods!
You know, a pet dream of mine was to always see an Indian entry in a 4 wheel category in the Dakar Rally (I know Hero and TVS take part which is great!). And as a fan of the truck class there in particular, I won't deny having imagined what a Tata Prima entry would look like or even a Mahindra truck. Big old MRF decals and other big name Indian sponsors. Oh boy, that would be mega. Even back in my school days when the Sumo Grande was launched, I remember imagining it as a Dakar entry - say a stock chassis but with a Sumo Grande body shell. But Tata's CV business seems to be run by sensible folks and racing trucks doesn't fit with that straight laced image. Shame really.
ads11 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 03:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with you, since childhood i have been obsessed with trucks, whenever a truck used to bring in construction material in our society i used to run out look at them.

One of my dream is to sit in a truck and go on a long journey, talking throughout, hear the various stories, helping with some repair work(as i am pretty good at it) eat at the dhaabas and maybe the driver would let me drive a bit on an empty stretch as well.
yesyeswe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 08:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post

One of my dream is to sit in a truck and go on a long journey, talking throughout, hear the various stories, helping with some repair work(as i am pretty good at it) eat at the dhaabas and maybe the driver would let me drive a bit on an empty stretch as well.
Add to that : sleeping behind the driver compartment on the narrow berth! I remember seeing super congested berths stacked on each other in an old truck that had come to our house for drilling a bore-well.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 11:59   #8
BHPian

This is a game changer. I remember there was some regulation on the tonnage and the number of axles. Say, you have 3 axles, the max load could be 25 tonnes. This was the reason for adding lift axles or steering axles to increase load carrying capacity (31 tonne had 4 axles, 37 tonne had 5 axles).
Glad that the wear and tear of the tyre will reduce and also increase efficiency for 3 axle 31 tonner vehicle.

Edit: just realised one of the axles is a lift axle as well! I am truly amazed by Tata seeing the lift axle is not at the end of the vehicle.
This means as this is x2, the propeller shaft is driving the rearmost axle! Would really like to understand why this config

Last edited by turbospooler : 4th March 2021 at 12:06.
turbospooler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 13:56   #9
BHPian

How's this configuration possible? Doesn't this exceed the per axle load limit?
Old 4th March 2021, 17:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
This means as this is x2, the propeller shaft is driving the rearmost axle! Would really like to understand why this config
Having the first rear axle as lift axle will make the vehicle have longer WB, so better load distribution, and less overhang at the rear. Also, saving fuel by reducing rolling resistance while carrying no load.
Old 4th March 2021, 18:28   #11
BHPian

That's quite a nice truck. Puts me in mind of the IVECO trucks, bar the logo and the area around it.
Old 4th March 2021, 19:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_max View Post
How's this configuration possible? Doesn't this exceed the per axle load limit?
How So.
Front axle with leaf spring suspension is allowed 7 tons, and with air suspension is allowed 8 tons.
Rear double tire axle with leaf spring suspension is allowed 11.5 tons, and with air suspension is allowed 12.5 tons.
Tandem axle with leaf spring suspension is allowed 21.5 tons, and with air suspension is allowed 23.5 tons.

This truck seems to have two leaf spring axles front and rear which permits it 18.5 Tr with the additional axle lifted, and 18.5 +12.5 =31 tons with the lift axle down, as it has seperate suspension the pair of axles will not be considered as tandem axles.

I'm wondering when they realise that a 55 Tr trailer with 5 air suspension axles will have 4 tires less than the current 10 tire tractor and 12 tire trailer.

Rahul.
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 19:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
How So.
Front axle with leaf spring suspension is allowed 7 tons, and with air suspension is allowed 8 tons.
Rear double tire axle with leaf spring suspension is allowed 11.5 tons, and with air suspension is allowed 12.5 tons.
Tandem axle with leaf spring suspension is allowed 21.5 tons, and with air suspension is allowed 23.5 tons.

This truck seems to have two leaf spring axles front and rear which permits it 18.5 Tr with the additional axle lifted, and 18.5 +12.5 =31 tons with the lift axle down, as it has seperate suspension the pair of axles will not be considered as tandem axles.

I'm wondering when they realise that a 55 Tr trailer with 5 air suspension axles will have 4 tires less than the current 10 tire tractor and 12 tire trailer.

Rahul.
Thanks. Is the additional weight allowed for air suspension only for lift axles? If not, this model can have air suspension at front and at the driving axle, giving it two more tons!
Old 4th March 2021, 19:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_max View Post
Thanks. Is the additional weight allowed for air suspension only for lift axles? If not, this model can have air suspension at front and at the driving axle, giving it two more tons!
Air suspension on any axle will allow a higher GVW, but two rear axles with same type of suspension will be considered as tandem axles and will have a combined capacity of 21.5+2=23.5 Tons instead of current 11.5+12.5=24 tons. It is a game of interpreting the wording in the RTO language without logic. Otherwise all 3 axles with air suspension will be softer on both the road as well as the chassis itself.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 08:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The mirror is called as proximity mirror. Legally needs to have on commercial vehicles.
If a child below 1 meter of height, unattended by an adult, stands or tries to cross in front of the truck, then the driver should be able to see him in the proximity mirror. It does produce lot of wind noise, hence first thing any driver will do after taking the delivery is to remove it
speedguy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks