Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2006, 00:54   #1
BHPian

tata 207 DI

we got hold of Gurjan, who owns this PB registered 207 in Punjab during the Leg 1 of the GIR (great indian road trip)
he has been with us since.
the truck was a pickup version and we made the rear ourselves in mayapuri in delhi. in went a cabinet, spare parts, clothes, 70L cans for speed 97 for the fireblade, spare tyres, 300cans of red bull, cams, laptops, refreshments etc.
we are now in blore and the truck went thru a routine service today. i rode it from jaipur to del n back and it did quite refined with the windows up. its a non-turbo one and with the bigger rear part creating lot of resistance, it now maxes out at an indicated 105. its been returning 10-10.5kmpl regularly and the driver keeps following us and keep its between 90-95kmh
it has no power steering and the amount of play in the steering wheel did bother me a lot when i rode it to del n back but then i believe such things r part n parcel of a truck!
we have had no major issues with the machine and although it is bigger than the Mahindra pick-ups, it is still a lot drivable in city traffic. gear shifts are very decent for a machine like this and so are the brakes (tested from 90km/h when a call centre qualis came from nowhere when me and sunny entered delhi at 3am from Jaipur to pick up the fireblade)

we still have more than 10,000kms to go and hope she survives everything that comes her way!

Old 25th April 2007, 15:33   #2
BHPian

The good old Tata 207. PICS from around India

This 207, with the 3.0 L DI engine survived without even a slight problem on the approx 18000 km trip it had all over india while it was serving as a back up vehicle for our road trip.

Here are some pictures taken of the vehicle around India.

It served as a big room for all our stuff including jerry cans, clothings,electronics, parts, tyres, red bull cans, water etc as well has a back up two-wheeler

It had a private number plate, which helped matters a lot at borders and toll tax booths

Somewhere on the NH-8

In Kaza, spiti valley

Even the longish Blaze (and sometimes the jupiter) felt at home at the back of the 207

In leh

In kumarakom, kerala

Filling the CBR with 97 octane fuel. Thats me holding the pipe above tank of the cbr

Somewhere high up in the hills

In Sikkim

Drove this a lot between vijaywada and bhubaneshwar.. Gets to around 110km/h max, due to the high rise rear. Returned 10-10.5kmpl regularly.

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 25th April 2007 at 15:39.
Old 25th April 2007, 15:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. What's it like to drive though?
Old 25th April 2007, 15:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

very nice.....I think this 207 is nice vehicle....and I have seen quite good use of this vehicle........
Old 25th April 2007, 15:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful pics. whats with the O.K tata bye bye in this pic.

Old 25th April 2007, 15:51   #6
BHPian

well, its a mini truck afterall!
This version didnt even have power steering and the play in the steering was enough for me to enact the driving scenes of old hindi movies!
That said, a tacho was a luxury The vehicle has lot of grunt, the 'box felt nice for a vehicle of this type. In the whole trip, it never had a prob no matter how harsh we used it, over any type of terrain, flat out thru highways and what not!
Suspension became better with more load at the rear, upfront 3 could sit with ease. With the windows rolled up, even the NVH levels were amazing!

But i remember being harassed by a Rajasthan state transport bus on my way to Jaipur. The 207 didnt go above 100 due to winds and the bus guy kept bothering me, staying right at my tail!

oktatabyebye.com was one of our sponsors for the ride. the site was launched by makemytrip.com guys and is about travelling around India.

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 25th April 2007 at 15:54.
Old 25th April 2007, 16:04   #7
BHPian

nice picture.. ya have seen these on xbhp.com
Old 25th April 2007, 16:07   #8
BHPian

By the way, isn't there a rule that pick-ups have to be registered as commercial vehicles in India?

AFAIK, this was exactly the reason why Ford didn't launch its much hyped Ranger Splash pick-up and also the reason why Tata TLis officially registered as an 11 seater MUV in order to be a private vehicle.......
Old 25th April 2007, 16:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
By the way, isn't there a rule that pick-ups have to be registered as commercial vehicles in India?

AFAIK, this was exactly the reason why Ford didn't launch its much hyped Ranger Splash pick-up and also the reason why Tata TLis officially registered as an 11 seater MUV in order to be a private vehicle.......
Tata TL.. 11 seater? Are you talking about the 207 lookalike with the 2.0 Safari engine? How can it be a 11 seater.

coming to the pick ups, up north we have seen many privately registered tata 207s and even in himachal i have come across many privately registered Mahindra Bolero pickups
Old 25th April 2007, 16:13   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is there really such a rule? I've never come across it and know of quite a few people who own privately registered pickups (Tatamobiles, Old Nissan crewcabs). I think this is hearsay.
Old 25th April 2007, 16:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

I think the rule says soemthing about the Loading weight(max cargo weight) to passenger ratio. Not too sure though.
With so many weird rules in Indian MVA, I will not be surprised.
Old 25th April 2007, 16:31   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Regn rules for pick-up's

Earlier rules allowed a non-commercial pick-up truck, irrespective of it being a single-cab or a dual/crew-cab. A few years back, this rule was modified, and now only crew-cabs [dual-cabs] can be non-commercial. Single cab pick-ups are supposed to only be commercial vehicles. Even for the non-commercial pick-ups, they are registered as non-commercial by quoting them as 11 seater soft-tops. This means, at registration time, they need to show 11 seats total - 5 in the cab, and a 3+3 [2 benches], length-wise, in the cargo-bay.

But, this particular 207 raises the question if registration rules for pick-ups are different in different states. I have not seen a single non-commercial single-cab pick-up in Karnataka. [Else, even I would have had one]

Bunny, any idea how did this 207 one end up as white-board ?
Old 25th April 2007, 16:36   #13
BHPian

no idea condor, but as i said in post no 8, we have seen many a picks in north india with private no plates
Old 25th April 2007, 16:44   #14
Team-BHP Support

The number plate is of Amritsar. In Punjab RTOs you can do a lot of things, provided you know what strings to pull, and what strings to loosen.
Old 25th April 2007, 21:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

nice pix........................

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks