Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What should have been the right path?
Railways was the right choice 181 74.18%
Should have chosen highways 63 25.82%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2021, 11:57   #46
BHPian

Re: Highways vs Railways | Did we make the right decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth indian View Post
Countries have built railways without the need for a colonizer. India would have had railways either way; just that the way railways developed would have been different without the british. And this is coming from a admirer of british trains.

Your point about neglect is partly valid. However, India inherited a network fragmented in terms of gauge and primarily single line non electrified railway lines (95%). We have had to regauge close to 2/3rd of the railway network over the decade and now have electrified around half the network. So a lot of money was really spend in just bringing the network into the 20th century. India should have done more to expand its railway network which is still at around 65000-70000 route km. Suburban and Interurban railways have also not been upgraded or expanded enough to meet the needs of as rapidly increasing population.
Absolutely. I quoted from the book hence. Currently I am all glued to the NHSRCL . Cant wait for our first ever HSR!
coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 15:59   #47
BHPian

Voted for Railways.

I'd like to share a popular quote on this topic:
“A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation.”

As much as we love driving cars, it's good from both social as well as environmental point of view to invest and strengthen the public transportation in any country but its even more important for developing country like ours. Also, better public transportation means less traffic on roads for driving enthusiasts.
Old 22nd April 2021, 12:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Absolutely. I quoted from the book hence. Currently I am all glued to the NHSRCL . Cant wait for our first ever HSR!
Same here, the metro rail guy is also a good source of data for this. The dedicated freight corridor has about 1/5th of their expected lines already inaugurated.

Additionally to the Ahd-Mum High speed rail there are 5-6 more routes being surveyed this year with the DPR expected by dec 21. My cousins firm is involved in one of the aerial lidar surveys.

Will be interesting to see how these plans progress.

Finally for folks interested in either highways or railways progress, Nat geo has some good documentaries for indian content.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 13:28   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Same here, the metro rail guy is also a good source of data for this. The dedicated freight corridor has about 1/5th of their expected lines already inaugurated.

Additionally to the Ahd-Mum High speed rail there are 5-6 more routes being surveyed this year with the DPR expected by dec 21. My cousins firm is involved in one of the aerial lidar surveys.

Will be interesting to see how these plans progress.

Finally for folks interested in either highways or railways progress, Nat geo has some good documentaries for indian content.

Maddy
Please do connect over DM. I am followed by the NHSRCL.
Old 22nd April 2021, 15:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

Bigger a vehicle more the effeciency.
A 18000Hp locomotive combo can take a 9000 ton train to 120kph(american combo), where as a single 4500 Hp locomotive can take the an 4500HP rake to 85kph (Indian goods trains) This is just 1 HP/ton.
In Indian trucks a 120 Hp engine takes a 16 ton truck to 80 kph, 7.5 HP/ton as size grows need for power does not grow in proportion, a 55 ton tractor trailer needs 230 Hp to 80 kph 4.2 HP/ton.
Think of Australian road trains with programmable engines, they use power mode 600 HP to accelerate and then economy mode under 400HP to maintain 100 with 110 ton rigs.
We all know how much power our car needs, and also that commuter bikes with ratio above 35HP/ton never reach 100.
Bigger the vehicle more the efficiency and lesser the pollution, so I would support railways on trunk routes along with good roads, finally last mile connectivity will need roads.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks