Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2021, 19:15   #16
BHPian

Re: The Deccan Queen Train turns 90

I have used this train many times between 1998- 2008 along with Indrani and Shatabdi. I might be wrong but it’s popularity and punctuality along with that of Indrani forced Shatabdi out of business. I have literally stopped Shatabdi after it started from Pune as it travelled quite empty compared to Indrani. The guard saw me running and walkied driver to stop for me to jump in. Got ticket on board as well.
Never got a empty seat in Deccan Queen but could still travel in 2S.
Wanderers is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 19:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Slightly off-topic! But this pic is taken on the mumbra side of the parsik tunnel. One can see the mumbra creek bridge, old bombay-pune road bridge and the parsik tunnel opening in one view without any human settlement in sight. Just goes to show how much uncontrolled development has muddled up things.

The grim reality apart, I have taken the queen on quite a few occasions during my student days in Pune in the late 1990s. The non-stop runs between CSMT and Karjat in the down direction and from Khandala to Dadar in the up direction were simply breathtaking. The dining car was simple but the experience was enjoyable. Veg. cutlet, cheese toast, omlet with bread and cheese sandwich are my cherished snacks served onboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
@ Red Terrano

I last read that the Deccan Queen will have a new set of colors for the entire train. IR chose something like black / brown and red combo. Plus the coaches will be the LHB ones.

Has this been done already? I could not find any info online, except that the current ICF coaches are still being used as per railfan blogs.
I read in the news (or perhaps on a IRFCA thread) that the LHB coaches would debut in December.
smooth indian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 21:35   #18
BHPian

The Deccan Queen has a very special place in my family. My grandmother and her family used to travel by this very train right from her childhood. The journey used to be from Bombay to Lonavala. I remember once she telling us as kids that one of the family members was even connected in some way with this train, her entire family served in the Railways with her father and uncles being Engine drivers of numerous trains.

I have also travelled by this train every year till my 10th. Every May and Diwali vacation used to be spent with my cousins at our Lonavala Bunglow. I remember getting extremely fascinated by the dark tunnels and would actually stand near the window for the entire journey after Karjat. Alas! Once the expressway was done, the train journey was all but forgotten.

Since quite a few of us are interested in re-living this journey, why not book altogether and have a TBHP Mumbai-Pune Train meet. I am sure this will be one of the most unique rides for one and all. We can do this once COVID restrictions are eased. The beauty of the train ride will be even better during the rains! Anyone with me on this?
Maverick1977 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 13:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post

4) In the earlier days, the train took 2 hours 45 minutes, and today it takes 3 hours 15 minutes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Feels like I am using a Nokia 3310 while everyone else is using an iPhone (Latest) Pro Max!
Actually it is like an iphone. Faster when new and becomes slow over time
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 14:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

A documentary film on Deccan Queen made in 1965 by FTII.

ruzbehxyz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

WCG1 class electric loco, seen between Sandhurst Road & Masjid Stn hauling the empty Deccan Queen rake towards CSMT for its trip to Pune.

Did you know that WCG1 is locally known as "Kekada" ie CRAB because of its looks.
Attached Thumbnails
The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d1.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
WCG1 class electric loco, seen between Sandhurst Road & Masjid Stn hauling the empty Deccan Queen rake towards CSMT for its trip to Pune.

Did you know that WCG1 is locally known as "Kekada" ie CRAB because of its looks.

41 of these locomotives were supplied to the Great Indian Peninsula Railway in 1928 for use on the Bombay-Poona section for heavy freights. Originally class EF/1, the first few were made by the Swiss Locomotive Works (SLM Winterthur), and more by the Vulcan Foundry (with electricals from Metropolitan Vickers). They had four 650 hp motors (total power often quoted as 2610hp), driving two three-axle bogies through connecting rods.

From 1974 the WCG-1 were only used in shunting in Bombay and Lonavla, where the last locomotives were still in use in 1992. In Bombay they were located in the Wadi Bunder depot near the Bombay VT and were mainly used to put together passenger trains.

Two locomotives are preserved today- one at National Rail museum, Delhi and one at Heritage gully, Wadi Bunder.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd June 2021 at 15:02. Reason: Edited as requested. Thanks
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 19:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

The Deccan Queen gets Vistadome coach from 15th Aug. 2021.

Read full story here: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85350379.cms
Old 28th January 2022, 10:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

New-look Mumbai-Pune Deccan Queen Express train to roll into Mumbai in Feb 2022. First look of Mumbai Pune Deccan Queen LHB coaches are ready.
Attached Thumbnails
The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d2.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d3.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d4.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d5.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d6.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d7.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d8.jpg  

The Deccan Queen Train turns 90-d9.jpg  

Attached Images

RM Motorsports is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 12:19   #25
BHPian

The Queen's new coaches rolling out of ICF. Its part of a larger shipment. After the first coach there are couple @ 1:43. The Queen doesn't look as impressive in this new livery as she does in the stately blue!

https://twitter.com/mumbaimatterz/st...ory-5244785%2F

Last edited by SR-71 : 18th February 2022 at 12:32.
Old 18th February 2022, 16:33   #26
BHPian

The person designing seems to have be inspired by an Indian green saree with a red border . Would have seen the saree at home and decided to use it.
Old 21st February 2022, 17:57   #27
BHPian

The first time I travelled on the Deccan Queen was, by chance, during the 2005 floods. We had all heard of the iconic Deccan Queen with its legendary timing and I was quite excited about the journey. Until it got delayed just before Thane, and eventually we had to get off it between Ghatkopar and Vikhroli as it was already 4 hours late with no signs of moving forward. I remember grumbling rather loudly about reality not meeting expectations, until a teenager tried to defend his beloved Deccan Queen against a nonbeliever like me. (It was before the time of commonplace mobile phones, so information sharing was scarce.)

He got down with me and we walked all the way back to Vikhroli station, where we eventually found out about the flooding on the tracks near Dadar, upon which he triumphantly informed me of the faultlessness of his beloved Deccan Queen...

The next decade saw me on board all the Mumbai Pune trains, but every time I got onto the Deccan Queen, it brought back memories of the pride in the eyes of a lover of a majestic train. And it strikes in me the nostalgia shared by everybody here, as a form of collective camaraderie...
Old 22nd February 2022, 07:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pram_ind View Post
The person designing seems to have be inspired by an Indian green saree with a red border . Would have seen the saree at home and decided to use it.
Seems to have a Paithani saree like design touch, nice idea. I first traveled on this train something like 40 years ago, as a kid and quite frequently while we were in Mumbai and my maternal grandparents in Pune. But the last I time I did the journey was 24 years ago or so, visiting my parents in Mumbai weekends. And after the YC Expressway, things changed completely .But I still remember the omelets, cutlets and baked-beans-on-toast that they used to offer on board .
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 10:51   #29
BHPian

And 'Her Majesty' completes 92 years on rails... Long live the queen ;-)

Sad to see her storied all blue livery replaced with run of the mill coaches and hauled by an age old WCAM2. Whatever happened to the WAP based push-pull system she ran with a while ago?!?

Last edited by SR-71 : 4th June 2022 at 10:52.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 13:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
And 'Her Majesty' completes 92 years on rails... Long live the queen ;-)

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=V6E4j6lRkto

Sad to see her storied all blue livery replaced with run of the mill coaches and hauled by an age old WCAM2. Whatever happened to the WAP based push-pull system she ran with a while ago?!?

I agree!!! what have they done to the Queen? Such a huge letdown!
Vandit is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks