Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2021, 03:19   #1
BHPian

10,300 cc single-cylinder Lanz Bulldog tractor

This is the Lanz Bulldog from the early 50s. This tractor has a massive single cylinder 10,300 cc engine. This is a 2-stroke diesel producing the maximum 45 HP at 630 RPM.

The engine can rotate both ways and for reverse you just change the rotation of the engine. The engine is not stopped for the change in rotation.

The Lanz company was taken over by John Deere and the name is not used anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanz_Bulldog
Indian2003 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 09:21   #2
BHPian

re: 10,300 cc single-cylinder Lanz Bulldog tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
This tractor has a massive single cylinder 10,300 cc engine. This is a 2-stroke diesel producing the maximum 45 HP at 630 RPM.
Only 45 HP for a 10,300 cc engine?!

A quick google gave me this about the Ashok Leyland 2516 IL
Quote:
Powered by an H Series Turbocharged Intercooled engine with Inline FIP 5,660 cc diesel motor, Ashok Leyland 2516 IL belts out 160 bhp power and 550 Nm torque.
So 10,300 cc = 45 HP, but
5,600 cc = 160 bhp?

Can someone please explain how power is not proportional to the CC? I suspect somehow bore and stroke come into the picture but when it comes to such things I am a total noob.

Also, are HP, BHP, PS the same thing?
Old 20th July 2021, 09:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Only 45 HP for a 10,300 cc engine?!

A quick google gave me this about the Ashok Leyland 2516 IL

So 10,300 cc = 45 HP, but
5,600 cc = 160 bhp?

Can someone please explain how power is not proportional to the CC? I suspect somehow bore and stroke come into the picture but when it comes to such things I am a total noob.

Also, are HP, BHP, PS the same thing?
Power is not proportional to Cubic Capacity. (CC).
The power rating of an engine depends on the Compression Ratio, the amount of fuel that can be combusted cleanly, and maximum speed(rpm) that the engine can spin to.

Old Engines have very low compression, and very low RPM limit.
That's why they produce lesser power per CC.

To understand the difference between HP, BHP & PS, pls have a look at the below.
abhishek46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 10:40   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post

Power is proportional to swept volume (or cubic capacity), all else being equal.

If you want some maths, then power produced by one cylinder = PLAN, where

P = Mean effective pressure (link) of that cylinder. This is affected by peak pressure, compression pressure, fuel quantity, injection/ignition timing, valve timing, charge air pressure and temperature, compression ratio, engine speed etc etc

L = Stroke length

A = Area of cylinder bore

N = Number of power strokes per second

So if you managed to hold P and N constant, then yes, power would increase proportionally with L x A, which is swept volume (cc). This can be seen clearly in industrial engines which can be purchased in a wide range of cylinder configurations, with each cylinder producing an identical amount of power. So a 12 cylinder engine will produce almost exactly double the power of a 6 cylinder engine of the same type in the same state of tune, because the total swept volume is doubled.
RadixLecti is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks