Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2021, 18:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volvo launches FM and FMX range of trucks in India

Volvo Trucks has announced the launch of the new generation FM and FMX series of trucks in India.

Volvo launches FM and FMX range of trucks in India-volvotrucksindiarangeshot.jpg

The range of trucks offers an increased cab volume of up to 1,000 litres. The trucks have a large windscreen, lower door lines and new mirrors that are said to improve visibility by 10%.

There's a new I-shift lever, which comes with updated software and additional drive modes. The trucks come with an engine management system and an I-Roll function that can automatically disengage the engine.

The new FM and FMX series of trucks come equipped with an Electronic Braking System (EBS) as well as downhill cruise control. The FMX500 gets a passenger corner camera along with the provision for four additional cameras. It also comes with a 12-inch driver interface.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 20th September 2021 at 18:59.
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 13:39   #2
BANNED

Re: Volvo launches FM and FMX range of trucks in India

I wonder how it would feel to drive an FMX 500 4X4 rigid with air suspension at the rear.

Is the oil service interval really 1,00,000km/year for the 12.8L engine with 500hp diesel?

It would feel nice to know how much one of these would of these cost for more vivid dreaming.
Old 4th March 2022, 11:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted by my cousin near Mulbagal yesterday. This massive diesel truck (no trailer) was said to be heading towards Chennai.

Volvo launches FM and FMX range of trucks in India-volvo-truck.jpg

The driver as usual refused to allow pics to be taken, but cousin's friend had already done the deed.
condor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 12:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Spotted by my cousin near Mulbagal yesterday. This massive diesel truck (no trailer) was said to be heading towards Chennai.
That looks like a UD. Probably going out from the Volvo factory at Hoskote, although I don't know if Volvo still has UD in their portfolio.

Good looking truck though.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 14:09   #5
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post

Is the oil service interval really 1,00,000km/year for the 12.8L engine with 500hp diesel?
I think all heavy vehicles with large oil sumps will have large service intervals compared to smaller (car) engines. Since trucks cover a lot of miles, it is not practical to have them serviced every ten or fifteen thousand KMS.

Last edited by ike : 4th March 2022 at 14:24.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 17:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
That looks like a UD. Probably going out from the Volvo factory at Hoskote, although I don't know if Volvo still has UD in their portfolio.

Good looking truck though.
UD Trucks is now part of Isuzu. Not part of Volvo anymore.
Old 4th March 2022, 21:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
UD Trucks is now part of Isuzu. Not part of Volvo anymore.
But as far I know they still do use the hoskote facility.
The trucks are tested between mulbagal toll and the hoskote facility. I run into these almost on a weekly basis last being today at the factory gate itself.
Old 6th March 2022, 07:52   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I think all heavy vehicles with large oil sumps will have large service intervals compared to smaller (car) engines. Since trucks cover a lot of miles, it is not practical to have them serviced every ten or fifteen thousand KMS.
I could understand that but I thought the 1,00,000km interval might apply for the colder climates and would have been reduced for the users in warmer climates. I genuinely feel that these semis have more aspirational value than a road hugging limo or a coupe in the Indian scenario. That I am poor in recognizing and distinguishing faces had made me worry less about impressing others for projecting credit Or business worthiness and more about the feeling of insulation and control on road. This got more punctuated when I came to know that servicing a 1cr+ car can take more money than what it takes to service a semi! The ability to insulate oneself from the road and focus more on driving safety is an added advantage.The safety would surely be better than any 5 star rated car for sure. I live in a city with a lot of textile units spread throughout. It is common to see big trucks everywhere in almost impossible locations loading and unloading cargo. I have constantly noted that, when driving a large vehicle, people are more understanding and give way but end up clogging around the passenger vehicles including midsize SUVs. The ability to run electrical accessories (aux lightS (how many? - Yes!) , train horn(Nathan Airchime) is also an added advantage. I would mount a camper in the bed for added comfort. The newer trucks are coming with 8 camera options which can help further in driving in the narrow constraints. This had brought me to a mindset where If I am going to choose between 1 Cr+ cars one day, an Unimog and a Semi would make it to the final list for sure!

I know I sound 'impractical' but that had never been my forte

Last edited by COMMUTER : 6th March 2022 at 07:57.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 14:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
But as far I know they still do use the hoskote facility.
The trucks are tested between mulbagal toll and the hoskote facility. I run into these almost on a weekly basis last being today at the factory gate itself.
They may have some Facility sharing arrangement of some kind in some locations including Hoskote but it will be temporary. Volumes in India are low anyway.

Both these companies are my customers and my company is working on the Separation.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 20:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo Trucks begins trial of LNG trucks in India.

Quote:
The OEM says the new product is aimed at offering alternate fuel solutions for demanding long-distance haulage applications.
Quote:
the new product is aimed at offering alternate fuel solutions for demanding long-distance haulage applications, the commercial trial was flagged off from Nagpur in the presence of senior executives from Dehlivery – a leading Indian logistics provider for e-commerce, Gas Authority of India (GAIL), BLNG – the providers of LNG, and Volvo Trucks executives.
Volvo launches FM and FMX range of trucks in India-dsc_9402.png

Volvo Trucks India has initiated a switch towards alternate fuels in the country and has commercial trials of its liquified natural gas (LNG) powered FM 420 4X2 Tractor.

Quote:
The company says its LNG trucks are unique as they use the diesel cycle to run the LNG engine as opposed to the industry practice to use Otto or petrol cycle using spark plugs for combustion. By leveraging the technology and efficiency of a diesel cycle which is 15-20% better than petrol cycle.
Volvo has been supplying LNG powered trucks in Europe for the past 5 years and many thousand trucks are operational in severe applications like long haul, petroleum, oil and lubricants distribution, refrigerated container movements and road train combinations.

Jonas Nilsson, VP India & Indonesia – Volvo Truck Corporation:
Quote:
The LNG powered Volvo FM 420 4X2 is the next step in Volvo Trucks continuing endeavour to introduce innovative transport solutions that set new standards for productivity, safety & uptime in India. Further delivering on Volvo Trucks core value of safety, the Volvo LNG FM 420 4X2 truck offers advanced driver assist functions like lane departure warning and Automatic Emergency Braking System.
Link

Most Viewed