Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2021, 18:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ashok Leyland to launch CNG trucks in Q4 of this fiscal

Ashok Leyland is set to enter the CNG truck segment in Q4 of FY2021-22.

Name:  Ecomet.png
Views: 214
Size:  198.4 KB

According to a media report, Ashok Leyland will introduce two intermediate commercial vehicles (ICV) powered by CNG before the end of this fiscal. CNG-powered LCVs are also on the cards.

Rival Tata Motors currently has an extensive portfolio of CNG models. These include CVs ranging from 5-tonne to 16-tonne GVW. Volvo Eicher Commercial Vehicles also has 8 CNG models in the same category.

Besides CNG models, Ashok Leyland is also working on hydrogen-powered commercial vehicles. The company plans to begin trials whenever the ecosystem is ready.

Source: ET Auto
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 15:38   #2
BHPian

Re: Ashok Leyland to launch CNG trucks in Q4 of this fiscal

Have had a question that I can't find the answer to on the internet. If diesel trucks and buses can be fitted with CNG why is it not possible with cars? I only see petrol+CNG combos for cars.
Old 17th November 2021, 18:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

The trucks and buses sold as CNG have different engines, and not the original diesel engine converted to CNG. Older NA diesel buses could be converted to CNG, but the cost was very high and many operators did not manage to run the daily 250km average needed to break even.

Rahul
Old 17th November 2021, 20:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siren373 View Post
Have had a question that I can't find the answer to on the internet. If diesel trucks and buses can be fitted with CNG why is it not possible with cars? I only see petrol+CNG combos for cars.
These trucks are not running on diesel engines. These are, in fact, spark ignition engines, just like your everyday petrol cars. These engines however run only on gas and cannot be switched to petrol, at least from the factory. I am given to understand this has something to do with norms and homologation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks