Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2022, 17:15   #1
BHPian

MV MahaJagmitra | Ship lost in Cyclone Bhola of 1970 | Need some information

Mods ... please delete if in appropriate.

Posting on behalf of some one I know.

Does anyone have information about MV MahaJagmitra, an Indian registered freighter which was lost in the Bay of Bengal during Cyclone Bhola of 1970.
He was very young when this happened. His father was one of the 50 crew who was lost in that tragedy.

He is now trying to get in touch with any family member of other crew members who died in the accident. Any bit of information will help, even the name of the operator is useful.

Why does he need the information ?

His father was formerly with Indian Navy prior to joining the Merchant fleet. Because of that, his mother (now in her 80s) was getting an ECHS pension all this time. Now when trying to renew the card, ECHS is demanding for a death certificate. Neither he nor his mother is very sure about what documents were originally submitted to ECHS since that was in 1972.

Obviously the local body in Kerala does not have any record of the death since it happened in the By of Bengal. So he is trying to get in touch with other family members or even the operator (if they are around) to see whether other families have obtained the certificate and from where? The ECHS has also said that a letter from the operator confirming the ships and the crews loss is also acceptable, but again he does not have details of the operator.

Alternatively does anyone know the procedure for ECHS in case the operator is no longer in existence and a death certificate cannot be obtained ?

Any information will be helpful.
TKMCE is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 17:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: MV MahaJagmitra | Ship lost in Cyclone Bhola of 1970 | Need some information

Appreciate you for trying to help someone in such matter. I will ask the people I know from the merchant navy.

I am no expert, but will the following documents be enough for ECHS:
  • Copy of telegram or letter from the operator informing about the father's death.
  • Copy of newspaper clipping informing the loss of ship. I know that the newspapers maintain a file of the copies of their daily newspapers. It is a mandatory for them to maintain this archive.

To get the operator details, the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways can possibly help. They may also contact:
  • National Union of Seafarers of India. They have an offfice in Mumbai.
  • Mercantile Marine Department, they have an office in Kolkata.
  • Directorate General of Shipping. I understand that this office maintains a record of the marine vessels.

The Great Eastern Shipping Company owns more than 50 ships having the name starting with Jag. For example, MV Jag Radha, MV Jag Lakshya, MV Jag Vijaya, MV Jag Vikram. So they can enquire with this company.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 19th January 2022 at 18:00.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 18:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: MV MahaJagmitra | Ship lost in Cyclone Bhola of 1970 | Need some information

Vessel search shows that Maha Jagmitra was built by Hindustan Shipyards in 1959. You can enquire with them.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 22:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

"Mahajagmitra, The: was
an Indian merchant ship, owned by
the Great Eastern Shipping Company
and chartered by the South Fast
Asia Shipping Company. On Nov.
11, 1970 it left Calcutta for Kuwait
with a cargo of jute, tea, steel etc.
but was soon lost at sea. It is
believed to have been wrecked in the
cyclone which hit the Sundcrbans
coast in November 1970, though no
wreckage was found. "

Source - https://archive.org/stream/dli.benga...13175_djvu.txt
govigov is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 08:59   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Veeresh Malik for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Quote:
Please request your member seeking the relevant documents to:

1) Contact the DG Shipping via online RTI, they will have all the records.

2) Contact the Maritime Union of India via their website.

3) Contact the Mercantile Marine Department, they will have the records.

4) Luckily, Great Eastern Shipping is still around and are good people, contact them online too.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 09:38   #6
BHPian

Thank you so much "Rahul Bhalgat", "govigov", GTO and Veeresh Malik.
It does look like the owner is Great Eastern as Rahul Bhalgat has suggested since "govigov" has confirmed the same. Also Rahul Bhalgat's suggestions for the alternatives which ECHS may accept is most helpful.

Thank you GTO for approving the post and sharing the information sent in by Veeresh Malik.

The person for whom I am seeking the information is not a Team BHP member but is monitoring the thread. It was some of the earlier threads in Team BHP like the ones one on the Suez canal blockage and also the plight of the Indian crew stuck on a ship off China which made me think of trying my luck in Team BHP and we have already got so much information.

Great Eastern is being contacted for any assistance and hopefully will do the needful.

It is wonderful to be part of such a great community.

Last edited by TKMCE : 20th January 2022 at 09:48.
TKMCE is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 13:29   #7

Dear TKMCE,

Below is the website of national union of seafarers of India. It is a very active organisation. Approaching them may be of helpful.

https://nusi.org.in/
Senpran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 17:47   #8
BHPian

Sorry it may be ECHS (Ex serviceman contributory health service )card which is renewed every 10 years. Better would be to contact Southern Naval command ,Kochi at their Ex serviceman cell. Else ECHS helpline is available on net. Renewal of old cards should not be a problem. A visit to Southern naval command Kochi will surely help.
https://echs.gov.in/
sukhbirST is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 17:52   #9

Was quite distressed to hear that an ex-serviceman's widow is having a problem in renewal of her ECHS card.

Please send me the details ( a copy of the ECHS card) and details about the deceased Crew member Indian Navy records.

I will take on the task of getting the card renewed. Please contact me and give the details like scan of ECHS card and service record.

Please also let me the address/ any contact phone number where I can keep in touch.

I am a retired Indian Air Force Pilot and familiar with the service procedures.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd January 2022 at 04:47. Reason: Personal details
neerajsharma48 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 22:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajsharma48 View Post
I will take on the task of getting the card renewed. Please contact me on XXXXX & whatsapp the details like scan of ECHS card and service record.
Sir, for your own privacy and security, I would request you to PM your phone number to the originator of the thread and request the mods to remove your phone number from the thread.
SR-71 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 09:56   #11
BHPian

Dear All

Once again thank you for all the information provided. The person for whom I have requested help is monitoring this thread and is currently awaiting a reply to the email sent to Great Eastern Shipping.

Other options like NUSI, Mercantile Marine Department, Maritime Union of India and DG Shipping will also be followed up if Great Eastern does not revert.

What looked originally to me like a case with as much as probability of success like looking for a needle in a haystack is now looking very much probable to succeed and all thanks to Team BHP.

I know it is early days yet, but I am sure with all the leads provided, success will be achieved eventually and that too quicker than originally possible.

Will update once something tangible happens.
TKMCE is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 12:41   #12
BHPian

Have found out the Command regimental officer at kochi. You may PM me the details pse.
I am a retired naval officer and have served in Kochi.
sukhbirST is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks