Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 07:16   #46
BHPian

Re: Airport Experiences | Small airport (Tiruchirappalli) vs Larger one (Hyderabad)

I am ok with any airport that saves time (closer to city and logistics sorted - shorter queues).
Old 27th July 2022, 10:30   #47
BHPian

Re: Airport Experiences | Small airport (Tiruchirappalli) vs Larger one (Hyderabad)

I would prefer small airports. The nearest airport from my place is Halifax Stanfield airport. Although it’s the busiest and biggest airport in Atlantic Canada and it have direct flights from some European nations, USA and other major airports of Canada but it’s still small compared to other international airports in cities like Toronto, Vancouver.
Main highway passes right in front of airport that you can see the planes parked in airport very often.
Attached Thumbnails
Airport Experiences | Small airport (Tiruchirappalli) vs Larger one (Hyderabad)-9c91970611c247b3aa3bbdf50bb3b36b.jpeg  

Bhalla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 14:15   #48
BHPian

Come to Patna International Airport, you will have other kind of experience. It is one of the most mismanaged Airport. In-fact all the Railway Stations in Patna are far better than Airport.
Old 27th July 2022, 15:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

There is something very relaxing about being able to see through till the departure gate right from the entrance (Calicut domestic terminal for example).

I agree to the charm of smaller airports and the calming effect of not having to navigate through kilometres of terminal and streams of passengers. I fondly remember Khajuraho and Jorhat as really small and charming in a fuss free way (the lack of food and shopping notwithstanding). Pokhara airport in Nepal was one step further in the sense that the luggage was wheeled to the 'terminal' alongside the walking passengers and just picked up from a platform sans belt

The smaller airports generally trump the bigger ones for the sheer ease of driving in and out of the airport for a pick up/drop

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 27th July 2022 at 15:25.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 09:39   #50
BHPian

I always admired Pondicherry airport for the old world charm & friendly staff. The airport security is managed by the local police and not CISF and thereby, there are some small discretions that we can indulge in, with cooperative and friendly staff. There was one occasion where my folks ordered Swiggy from the departure gate when their flight was delayed and bingo- the package was handed over to them by the security staff, after due checks.

The check-in, check-out, the baggage handling are all smooth, the pick up and drop off areas and the parking are all clean.
Early_Adopter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 21:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Diu airport is a small airport where you enter thro a small gate and walk few metres into a small buiding which is the terminal.The Lounge is small but neat.
Attached Thumbnails
Airport Experiences | Small airport (Tiruchirappalli) vs Larger one (Hyderabad)-diu4.jpg  

ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 22:25   #52
BHPian

In early 90s I had used Keshod airport in Gujarat few times. A lone Vayudoot aircraft used to fly thrice a week from Mumbai, weather permitting (during monsoon). You have to go to the IA office in Junagadh, from where you will be taken in a van to the airport. Two or three airport staff will come with you, open the airport, check you in , handle the incoming passengers and luggage and after the air craft leaves, lock the airport and leave in the same van with incoming passengers. The entire route is over sea and flying in a small aircraft (if remember right about 20 seats) during monsoon weather will be at best thrilling and at worst similar to a roller coaster
raju2512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 09:05   #53
BHPian

A quick update about Delhi Airport. Make sure you are wearing a mask as you get out of the taxi or auto. They are taking advantage of the fact that most travellers aren't aware that, apparently, there is a rule in Delhi requiring one to wear a mask in public places, and don't have time to argue. Spot fine of Rs.500.
Of course, after that, it doesn't matter if you wear or not. Obviously, covid doesn't spread when you are standing inches away at the security check, or packed in like sardines on the coach to the plane.
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

This is a brief account of my experiences at two airports in India - the lesser known Tiruchirappalli (code TRZ) versus the bigger Hyderabad (Shamsabad) (code HYD). The intent here is to showcase how a smaller airport, although short on style, can be a surprisingly pleasant and hassle-free experience.
Thanks for your series of well written articles on busses , trains and flights.

Generally the smaller airports are having lesser footfalls and thereby lesser revenue. They are normally run by AAI (ie Govt controlled PSE). The bigger and Swankier ones are run by pvt entities

Can you go through the fine print of your flight ticket and compare the fee charged by the bigger and smaller airports ?(CUTE Fee which was trending in Twitter)

Ideally smaller airport should be charging lesser amount

In some cases CUTE fee is different for arrival and departure even in the same airport. Similarly domestic and international departures/arrivals have different rates
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 17:41   #55
BHPian

Not only small airports but the small railway stations also seem more charming and easygoing. They seem to ooze an old world charm. Also usually they are cleaner, personnel are more relaxed and friendlier.
Old 4th September 2022, 11:54   #56
BHPian

Wanted to share my recent experience. Had a flight from Hyderabad to Chennai at 6.55 AM on 1st Sept, 2022. Decided to take the Pushpak - TSRTC bus service (fully electric buses) to airport instead of a cab (which would cost around 900/-) or long term car parking.

https://www.tsrtc.telangana.gov.in/aiport.php

I stay at Kondapur and found out from the website that for every 30 mins round the clock, the route Miyapur - JNTU - Shilparamam - ORR - Airport has buses. Called up the TSRTC customer care to make sure the timings are correct, confirmed the exact stop where bus would arrive.

Just to be safe and have buffer for cab booking in case of bus issues, wanted to take 3.15 AM bus.

Bus arrived at 3.20 AM and stopped at the bus stop opposite to Shilparamam. The driver cum ticket conductor issued ticket which costed 250/-. Reached airport at 4.20 AM which includes a stop at ORR entrance for about 5 - 10 mins.

I had a word with the bus driver and got these details:
1. Bus (Olectra) is fully electric and a single charge would give a range of 300 kms.
2. Takes 4 hrs for full charge.
3. There is some kind of charging/recharge when the speed is between 60-70 but once it crosses 70 kmph, it stops charging and the driver is fined for crossing the 70 kmph speed limit. He was driving the bus very carefully within the prescribed speed limit on ORR.
4. Does 2 airport trips with one charge and takes rest for the 4 hrs when the bus is getting charged
5. Observed lane departure warning also and beeping sounds.

I would definitely recommend these to others - given that they have buffer time and reachable points to these designated stops. Even with huge suitcases, people can take these buses.

P.S: Booked Uber auto from Kondapur to Shilparamam at 2.45 AM. Was showing 122/- but the auto driver asked for 150/- for payment. Someone could have dropped me but I insisted to use public transport altogether. My overall fare was 400/-
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks