Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 15:26   #1501
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
1) bus should be low on maintainence & have good FE.
No such thing as "low maintenance". You are looking at "low spare cost". Look at Tatas.

Quote:
2) bus should have pleasing looks & good interiors.
Entirely a function of body building. You have 100% control into everything related to the body - number of seats, suspension, a/c, number and type of seats, etc.

Quote:
1) how are these tata buses? are they reliable? what about maintainence?
For both Tatas and AL, the normal "street side" mechanic would be best.

Quote:
2) what do these buses cost, on-road? i mean the globus with AC, globus without AC (if available), starbus without AC & starbus with AC (if available).
GIven the optionals, the body is going to cost you more than the bus itself.

Here is a starting point - the typical BEST bus would cost aroung 6-7 lakh for the chassis and another 3 lakh for the body. A similar body in Kerala would cost around 1.8 lakh (no glass windows - only tarpaulins).

A typical (non - exotic) tourist bus body would cost upwards of 20 lakh.

Quote:
2. Mileage - Tata (in city operations)
Yes. In inter city operations, it is AL.

[ quote]Ashok Leyland (for highway)[/quote]

This is more due to the engine torque / RPM and gearing ratios. I would like to point out that I am out of the heavy vehicle operations business for last 20 years.

Quote:
. Leyland Viking222WB chassis, whose BS2 version has inline FIP(long life & trouble free).
Do they register BS2 vehicles in Mumbai?

Quote:
Fullybuilt big buses are offered by Tata and ACGL only.Tata buses with cummins engines are better preferred for good reasons.
Yes; and Automotive corporation of Goa Limited is a Goa govt. JV with Tata.

Do remember that almost everything is configurable with heavy vehicles even with fully built bodies - seat layout (2 x 2, 2 X 3, 2 x 1). etc. seat types (pushback, bench, etc). a/c types, front door in front of front wheel, etc.

PS:- are tata chassis available without Cummins engines anymore?

Hey, what about IBE? (IBE as in "ICE")
Old 21st September 2009, 18:17   #1502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
I am a newbie in this section. Last weekend I saw a couple of LHD Ashok Leyland buses on Salem -> Bangalore road, driving towards Bangalore. It was written "EXPORT-Left Hand Drive" (or something like that - could not read it properly) on the rear windshield. All were white in color. I am quite sure that they are meant for exporting. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this topic discussed earlier in this thread?
Could be headed to the Gulf. My child boards an AL daily to school here at UAE where the system is LHD.
Old 21st September 2009, 18:35   #1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I guess they were built in the Karur body-builders. They are driven all the way to Bombay Port from where they are exported to Middle East. Steady orders, you keep seeing them at regular intervals here in Bombay Port area. Tata consignments outnumber AL - not only do they have buses, but also tippers, MCVs and LCVs for the same market.
mentioning about Karur body-builders, I spotted this brand new KSRTC bus on the namakkal-salem road.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-ksrtc-bus-body-built-namakkal.jpg  

Old 21st September 2009, 19:18   #1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
2nd vehicle -is it a nissan?here ,I can see 2 no.s of the same.still in service!will take a snap!
If I remember right, it is a NISSAN JONGA
Old 22nd September 2009, 00:18   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Here is one of the new Volvo B9R, introduced by Kallada Travels in Cochin-Chennai service.
That is great news, We really need an A/C bus in this sector. Right now There are only 2 Non-Ac services KPN and Ashirwad (GreyHound) in this route. I travelled in GreyHound couple of times, and there were not many passengers in both occations.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:08   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
You mean this Tata Hispano Globus?
Yes, that is the one! And this colour scheme looks better to!! What I was wondering is that whether TATAs are selling the chassis with their own body - in which case, they must be having a body building workshop somewhere!! Now, apart from bikes which is other automobile is TATA not manufacturing?
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:45   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Yes, that is the one! And this colour scheme looks better to!! What I was wondering is that whether TATAs are selling the chassis with their own body - in which case, they must be having a body building workshop somewhere!! Now, apart from bikes which is other automobile is TATA not manufacturing?
They are made by ACGL. Tata provides the technical inputs and quality control.

ACGL itself is partially owned by Tata Motors. In a way the body is made by Tata itself.

Last edited by Trapezio : 22nd September 2009 at 11:48.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:22   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
They are made by ACGL. Tata provides the technical inputs and quality control.
ACGL itself is partially owned by Tata Motors. In a way the body is made by Tata itself.
Thanks for the info - I was thinking till now that ACGL (Automobile Corporation of Goa Ltd.) was fully state owned. It now explains why I see so many ACGL built bodies on TATA chassis.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:26   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev Iyer View Post
mentioning about Karur body-builders, I spotted this brand new KSRTC bus on the namakkal-salem road.
That looks more like a bus for NEKRTC, a break-away division of KSRTC.
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:11   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
That is great news, We really need an A/C bus in this sector. Right now There are only 2 Non-Ac services KPN and Ashirwad (GreyHound) in this route. I travelled in GreyHound couple of times, and there were not many passengers in both occations.
Parveen travels was operating (atleast till end of August this year) a B7R on the Ernakulam-Chennai route. I heard from some operators that the ridership is low on this route, and that is the reason why operators do not take a risk operating this route. (They attribute it to the large number of trains between these two cities).
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:04   #1511
Distinguished - BHPian

OT :
Quote:
dkamath : That looks more like a bus for NEKRTC, a break-away division of KSRTC.
@Dkamath, it is not a "Break-Away" division : the division did not go it's own way. KSRTC was split into 3 divisions by the government itself. NEKRTC is one of the three divisions in Karnataka, the other two being NWKRTC & KSRTC.
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:48   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Parveen travels was operating (atleast till end of August this year)
Apparently No body in Chennai knows about this service [Including the ones in Koyemmedu Busstand]. I enquired at least 3/4 agents for an A/c bus to Cochin, before boarding the Ashirwad's GreyHound.
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:18   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Here is one of the new Volvo B9R, introduced by Kallada Travels in Cochin-Chennai service.
I remember in Irinjalakkuda (the home town of kallada) , when ever they get a new bus even though it is a VOLVO or a semisleper , they take it to the temple , on the way back from temple , it is the turn for the kallada employees to show off their boss's new bus to the public by blowing musical heavy horns continusly.

I just remember the launch of the puzhakadavil VOLVO (the first volvo to kerala from Bangalore)

At that time I was a school going kid , people were staring those 2 white buses .

There were few people in that bus , that was coming straight away from teh vadakkumnathan temple , blowing that big horns.

but now the puzhakadavil is bankurupted.
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:35   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
OT : @Dkamath, it is not a "Break-Away" division : the division did not go it's own way. KSRTC was split into 3 divisions by the government itself. NEKRTC is one of the three divisions in Karnataka, the other two being NWKRTC & KSRTC.
Am aware of this organization structure . In fact, it's 4, with the 4th being BMTC.
Old 24th September 2009, 01:36   #1515
Senior - BHPian

City of Chennai has reportedly ordered 100 VOLVO 8400 buses.

Chennai, India, orders 100 Volvo Buses - Corporate news : Volvo Group - Global
Closed Thread

Most Viewed