Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 01:17   #841
Senior - BHPian

KSRTC Globus are not so comfy and I have travelled for a short interstate journey on this buses.ofcourse vibration levels are lesser.and KSRTC also got leyland Buses too(Luxura or the body built by KSRTC workshops?).
Old 10th December 2008, 02:29   #842
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody took a ride in or spotted the new Tata Marcopolo buses in Bangalore?

Last edited by safari_lover : 10th December 2008 at 02:31.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:02   #843
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this chassis being driven on road recently. The interesting point was use of air-bladder suspension element instead of usual leaf spring. AFAIK this is first time I am seeing this being adopted in India. I could not make out make of chassis.
Commercial Vehicle Thread-100_0065.jpg

This sort of suspension would have major benefits in terms of control of over loading and better vehicle control by driver while on road. It was quite surprising that this has not been pushed by automotive bodies for adoption in Inda so far.
Commercial Vehicle Thread-100_0066.jpg
Old 10th December 2008, 10:29   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I could not make out make of chassis.
It's a Tata bus chassis. We get to see such ones in B'lore too, mainly from AL, as BMTC makes use of them in its premium "Suvarna" and "JanaPriyaVahini" services.
Old 10th December 2008, 12:02   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
Dude, the bus in the photo is a Tata. But thr one you drive is a AL. Can easily identify by the elevated steering. BTW are you working for KSRTC, because its hard to get KSRTC buses to drive by non RTC driver.
What im driving is a AL tourist bus in Munnar.
Old 10th December 2008, 12:21   #846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw this chassis being driven on road recently. The interesting point was use of air-bladder suspension element instead of usual leaf spring. AFAIK this is first time I am seeing this being adopted in India. I could not make out make of chassis.

This sort of suspension would have major benefits in terms of control of over loading and better vehicle control by driver while on road. It was quite surprising that this has not been pushed by automotive bodies for adoption in Inda so far.
Thanks for the pics sudev.
Kindly refer to post no. 424 in this thread wherein I had posted pics of a similar chassis from Ashok Leyland.
The new semi-low-floor local buses recently introduced by Haryana Roadways use such chassis. You often find them on Delhi-Faridabad roads. Am posting a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-picture-download-14.10.2008-058.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-picture-download-14.10.2008-124.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-picture-download-14.10.2008-125.jpg  

Old 10th December 2008, 12:30   #847
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for info @directinjection. I did not know that. It was off chance that I ended up tailing this chassis.
When we will start seeing these in trucks? Major improvement in safety and highway traffic can be achieved.
Old 10th December 2008, 13:14   #848
Senior - BHPian

The Haryana Roadways bus picture is the same chasis in service with Mumbai's BEST MUTP Buses since early 2005 with a BS3 Engine. Really awsome suspension and silent engine.

Same chasis is being used by MSRTC MahaBUS also.
Old 10th December 2008, 13:37   #849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When we will start seeing these in trucks? Major improvement in safety and highway traffic can be achieved.
On Indian roads, probably never.

There are lots of other cheaper, much simpler things that we could have in Indian trucks to make them safer; functional tail lights for instance!
Most of them don't deserve to be on the road and we need strict legislation and enforcement to ensure that. ARAI's truck body code has been hanging fire for years and hasn't come into force yet.

Interestingly, the indigenous ARJUN Main Battle Tank features air suspension, the only battle tank in the world to do so.
Old 10th December 2008, 14:43   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
How did you find the bus?

I have never traveled on one. Chance of me doing so in near future is less.
The Vibration levels are too high, and it is seriously not for long rides. Short ones, good enough. The bus lacks power to cross ghats or even short grades like fly-overs. The seating is good, and the leg space is nice (these are the only good things in this bus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
KSRTC Globus are not so comfy and I have travelled for a short interstate journey on this buses.ofcourse vibration levels are lesser.and KSRTC also got leyland Buses too(Luxura or the body built by KSRTC workshops?).
It would be better to say, "KSRTC had". They do not operate them anymore. The only "Leyland AC" route to Bangalore is now 'downgraded' to an air bus.

Here are the pics of the that bus:
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-p1130187.jpg  

Commercial Vehicle Thread-p1140321.jpg  

Old 10th December 2008, 16:02   #851
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Luftfederung (Pneumatic Suspension)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
The Haryana Roadways bus picture is the same chasis in service with Mumbai's BEST MUTP Buses since early 2005 with a BS3 Engine. Really awsome suspension and silent engine.

Same chassis is being used by MSRTC MahaBUS also.
Bombay's BEST buses have already been with pneumatic suspension since 2005.

Volvo B7Rs and King-Longs are also with pneumatic suspension from the very first one.

Interestingly: Mercedes-Benz W111 cars had pneumatic suspension as far back as 1959 -- five decades ago. They copied the technology from the 1959 Borgward P100 Airswing (Der Große Borgward) -- the first German car to have pneumatic suspension (called Luftfederung in German).

Commercial Vehicle Thread-1959borgwardp100.jpg
1959 Borgward P100 Airswing

See : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...tml#post294774

Ram
Old 10th December 2008, 20:10   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
In the attached image, you'd see that the seat that front end is raised, much higher than the other seats. I've added an approximate drawing of how the layout looks like (Note: It is NOT to scale).
I believe the drawing I had attached could explain the layout to our members. Since it was a BMP file, I feel it couldn't have been seen by many... here is a pic of what I was talking about.....

(Mods, could you please edit my earlier post and include this image there?)
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial Vehicle Thread-p1160989.jpg  

Old 11th December 2008, 08:48   #853
Ram
Senior - BHPian

More on the Arjun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Interestingly, the indigenous ARJUN Main Battle Tank features air suspension, the only battle tank in the world to do so.

Name:  ArjunMBT.jpg
Views: 6457
Size:  44.7 KB

The Arjun MBT has an aircraft type hydro-gas suspension (not air suspension). The design objectives were ride comfort for the crew, and the diverse terrain the tank must traverse. The suspension must handle fast acceleration and deceleration for the 58.5 tons, plus the loads posed by firing the 120 mm gun.

Each vehicle costs Rs. 20 crore and weighs 58.5 tons.