Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2007, 15:46   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
the jap engine in the above example has higher life, more power and is more fuel efficient.I believe itz the japanese Technology which makes the difference.....
Surprisingly, I have only seen old Tata trucks and buses, very few Leylands around - most of them seem to be between 5-8 years old max. Plus, the older Leylands always seem to be panting and sound as though their engines have been derated compared with a Tata which seems to have the same power in Year 7 as on Day 1. Where do all the old Leylands disappear? I heard that their engines fetch a good value in the marine engine market because Leyland is very strong in that engine category - is that a fact?
Old 13th July 2007, 15:56   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Surprisingly, I have only seen old Tata trucks and buses, very few Leylands around - most of them seem to be between 5-8 years old max. Plus, the older Leylands always seem to be panting and sound as though their engines have been derated compared with a Tata which seems to have the same power in Year 7 as on Day 1. Where do all the old Leylands disappear? I heard that their engines fetch a good value in the marine engine market because Leyland is very strong in that engine category - is that a fact?
Leyland.. because of their stonger chassis' are more prone to be overloaded by their owners... thtz why on highways you can find leyland's panting.. while TATA seems like taking it easy

Race a tata bus aginst a leyland bus.. and you'll know...
Old 13th July 2007, 16:07   #93
Senior - BHPian

When is Leyland's Genext trucks and Luxura buses (Volvo competition) being launched? We have been hearing of them for years and even seeing ad campaigns, but seen none on the road
Old 13th July 2007, 16:10   #94

@ Mpower - 3axle busses are not prohibhited as per the law. In fact CMVR states that the maximum length permissible for a 2 axle vehicle is 12m and that for a 3 axle vehicle is 15m. However, most buses require to be rear engined for reasons of NVH and to a smaller extent underbelly luggage capacity! So we see a lot of 3 axle trucks but not any 3 axle rigid-buses!!!
Old 13th July 2007, 16:19   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
When is Leyland's Genext trucks and Luxura buses (Volvo competition) being launched? We have been hearing of them for years and even seeing ad campaigns, but seen none on the road
Next time on the bangalore- Mysore Highway.. look carefully..
Can't find the original article.. but here is an copy..

This was originally reported in TOI bangalore around 4 months back..

My Other Passions
Old 14th July 2007, 18:16   #96

Quote:
Leyland.. because of their stonger chassis' are more prone to be overloaded by their owners... thtz why on highways you can find leyland's panting.. while TATA seems like taking it easy

actually Tata trucks have more stonger chassis .i have seen 1210 ,1316 trucks carrying more than the double the rated payloads without any trouble.
as for the racing with leyland buses that might because tata vehicles are meant for carrying loads & hence its gearing is biased towards load carrying rather than speed
Old 14th July 2007, 20:51   #97
Senior - BHPian

AL website shows all buses having top speed of 75/95 kmph..also volvo B7R puts it at 103, B7rLE at 121.
specifications - Volvo B7R : Volvo Buses - India

but on highways, they are comfortably much ahead of their top-speeds..
why is that?
Old 14th July 2007, 23:05   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
AL website shows all buses having top speed of 75/95 kmph..also volvo B7R puts it at 103, B7rLE at 121.
specifications - Volvo B7R : Volvo Buses - India

but on highways, they are comfortably much ahead of their top-speeds..
why is that?
I have overtaken Volvos at 120 kmph. But please remember that we all have speedo errors, when my Scorpio is travelling at 120 kmph on the odo, it may be actually only 110 kmph.
Old 16th July 2007, 13:47   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjugun View Post
actually Tata trucks have more stonger chassis .i have seen 1210 ,1316 trucks carrying more than the double the rated payloads without any trouble.
as for the racing with leyland buses that might because tata vehicles are meant for carrying loads & hence its gearing is biased towards load carrying rather than speed
you think Leylands, and for that matters Eichers don't carry double the payload without any trouble...

Yeah you've apoint in gearing, AL buses are geared more for speed, than the trucks. Dunno how TATA is.

Speedo errors are quite substantial.. in the variation of speedometer readings. ther factors are down gradient, Tailwind etc.

But a Volvo speedo botoms out @ 120. I dunno who saw a higher speed than 120 on the Volvo.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:17   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Disagree with you there.

That Leyland CVs are heavier and more powerful than Tata CVs was true once upon a time, when Tata mostly sold the 1210 while Leyland mostly sold the Comet and Viking. 1210 had a 4.7 litre engine whereas the AL products came fitted with a 6.4 litre engine; hence other aggregates like gearbox, axle, differential had to be heavier correspondingly.

These days, in terms of both power and payload, there isn't much to distinguish Leyland from Tata.
Old 17th July 2007, 19:41   #101
BANNED

tata chaisis are stronger than leyland . Leyland had a lot of chaisis cracks in the 90's . Tata vehicles have only half cut steerings wheras leylands have full cuts.this helps inside small towns ,
Tata engines are more silent whereas leyland exhausts are much throatier ,and this throatiness makes it feel as if leyland bus is much faster ,but in effect Tata is much faster especially with a full payload .

Leyland spares are cheaper ,but do not last that long ,tata spares are compartively much better .
Old 17th July 2007, 19:54   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
tata chaisis are stronger than leyland . Leyland had a lot of chaisis cracks in the 90's .
Is there any specific reason for this? Like difference in metal gauge or more reinforcements on the ladder.
Old 17th July 2007, 21:05   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
but in effect Tata is much faster especially with a full payload .

Leyland spares are cheaper ,but do not last that long ,tata spares are compartively much better .
I would like to differ as i have observed that fully loaded or overloaded, Leyland is faster than tata any day. But the top speed for Tata is a mere 2kmph faster than the leyland as on the manual. Hope no one tries that.

Leyland spares are pricier than tatas and lasts too. Its just Leyland Vehicles dont like local/duplicate spares and breaks it in no time. whereas Tatas accept local/duplicate spares...
Old 18th July 2007, 10:09   #104
Senior - BHPian

This thread is becoming a "coffee-toffee" discussion.
Tata is Tata and Leyland is Leyland. Lets leave it at that.
Old 18th July 2007, 16:28   #105
BHPian

You started the discussion buddy...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks