Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2007, 10:17   #106
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Is there any specific reason for this? Like difference in metal gauge or more reinforcements on the ladder.

I guess its more to do with the quality of the steel used .
Old 19th July 2007, 10:30   #107
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife View Post
I would like to differ as i have observed that fully loaded or overloaded, Leyland is faster than tata any day. But the top speed for Tata is a mere 2kmph faster than the leyland as on the manual. Hope no one tries that.

Leyland spares are pricier than tatas and lasts too. Its just Leyland Vehicles dont like local/duplicate spares and breaks it in no time. whereas Tatas accept local/duplicate spares...

Well , most of the trucks are optimised for carrying heavy loads . So going by a manual dosent actually give the correct speeds . the pumps are always "freed up" and the engines ,radiators etc have bigger or better parts to withstand the higher payloads and temperatures . Salem is one of the hubs for modding leylands and I have personally owned leylands and Tatas . Spares for tata are anyday costlier than the leylands . But , Tata spares last much better . plus ,if you ever have a look at the crown pinion and propellor shaft , you can always notice that the parts of leyland are much bigger in size ,but breakdown more frequently . I somehow have a feeling that tata parts have a much better metallurgical process to withstand the stress .

Another thing is leylands come in a variety of crown pinion ratios and due to this even with the same engine and gear box the speeds differ .

basically the viking ,cheetah share the same engine and gear box ,but the speeds differ .
Old 19th July 2007, 11:10   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Disagree with you there.

That Leyland CVs are heavier and more powerful than Tata CVs was true once upon a time, when Tata mostly sold the 1210 while Leyland mostly sold the Comet and Viking. 1210 had a 4.7 litre engine whereas the AL products came fitted with a 6.4 litre engine; hence other aggregates like gearbox, axle, differential had to be heavier correspondingly.

These days, in terms of both power and payload, there isn't much to distinguish Leyland from Tata.
Keep in mind that eventhough the Engine have changed to a smaller displacement.. The other aggregates haven't changed much... resulting in higher reliablity that the older series...

I stop this here... This getting a cofee - tofee thingy
Old 19th July 2007, 13:03   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Well , most of the trucks are optimised for carrying heavy loads.
That's specially true of Indian trucks.

Compared to international truck standards, the average Indian truck with 16 tonnes GVW actually has the chassis of a 25 tonne GVW truck but is fitted with the engine of a 9 tonne GVW truck.

So the owner saves money both ways. Small engine means lower fuel consumption while extra strong chassis means you can overload the truck more.

Abroad, no manufacturer would fit a 16 tonner with a 6 litre engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
So going by a manual dosent actually give the correct speeds . the pumps are always "freed up" and the engines ,radiators etc have bigger or better parts to withstand the higher payloads and temperatures .
Very true.
Old 19th July 2007, 13:30   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Keep in mind that eventhough the Engine have changed to a smaller displacement.. The other aggregates haven't changed much... I stop this here... This getting a cofee - tofee thingy
The other aggregates have also changed, especially in case of Tata on whose CVs they have become sturdier, heavier and better over the years. Even AL shifted to superior gearboxes from ZF of Germany.

Tata and AL have both enjoyed good reputation among CV operators as well as SRTCs. That's why they've reached where they are today. It was the CV products from Hindustan Motors and Premier Automobiles that bombed in the market because of poor quality. Even Ford's CV (launched by Simpsons in early eighties) failed miserably.

Last edited by directinjection : 19th July 2007 at 13:45.
Old 19th July 2007, 14:23   #111
nbr
BHPian

Tribute to Commercial vehilces in India

[quote=nitrous;487563]I just looked around and found no thread dedicated to Commercial vehicles.
So, I decided to start one.
Im sure we have a lot of business owners and CV enthusiasts in our forum.
And Me being one of them since childhood.

Dudes,why dont we start posting pictures of commercial vehilces. I come from Mangalore,with private buses running full steam all with different styles. I never realsied this thread would gain so much popularity.I hope commercial vehicle mnftrs are watching....
Old 19th July 2007, 16:05   #112
nbr
BHPian

Let me start by posting some pictures. i post city buses right now since iam in dubai,once i get back will post pictures of mangalore city buses.

Old 19th July 2007, 20:44   #113
Senior - BHPian

Can we get to the other aspects like gearshift, power-steering. Do all Commercial vehicles now have powersteering. About the Gearshift, I noticed Tata's having the remote-ly operated gearshift mechanism sticking out of the engine cover as against the direct linkage one going all the way back for ALL. Which is better? In terms of operational usage as well as long term dependability - as I have seen many Tata owners to have gone back to the direct route after a couple of years of usage.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:03   #114
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can we get to the other aspects like gearshift, power-steering. Do all Commercial vehicles now have powersteering. About the Gearshift, I noticed Tata's having the remote-ly operated gearshift mechanism sticking out of the engine cover as against the direct linkage one going all the way back for ALL. Which is better? In terms of operational usage as well as long term dependability - as I have seen many Tata owners to have gone back to the direct route after a couple of years of usage.
I drove a Tata chassis (body not yet built) a month or so ago. It had the gearshift sticking up from the engine cowl. Was surprised by the handling. Expected it to behave like (or heavier than) a Mahindra Classic. It steered and braked as positively as a Fiat 1100D. (I don't say Premier Padmini, because my 1995 Padmini S1 is decidedly lighter handling than my 1968 Fiat 1100D).
Old 19th July 2007, 21:07   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
I drove a Tata chassis (body not yet built) a month or so ago. It had the gearshift sticking up from the engine cowl. Was surprised by the handling. Expected it to behave like (or heavier than) a Mahindra Classic. It steered and braked as positively as a Fiat 1100D. (I don't say Premier Padmini, because my 1995 Padmini S1 is decidedly lighter handling than my 1968 Fiat 1100D).
How was the shift gate? Power-steering?

And there is no reason for the S1 to feel lighter than the 1100D apart from bodyweight (But we can take this offline!!)

Oh sorry, Ram sir, test drive report please, It will be really different from people doing econo sedans.

Last edited by 1100D : 19th July 2007 at 21:09.
Old 19th July 2007, 21:57   #116
Senior - BHPian

What does Eicher 10.90, 10.60, 10.95 mean. Does the 10.90 have a different engine from the 10.60, if so then is it sourced from Mitsubishi or inhouse.
Old 19th July 2007, 22:19   #117
BHPian

[quote=nbr;505159]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I just looked around and found no thread dedicated to Commercial vehicles.
So, I decided to start one.
Im sure we have a lot of business owners and CV enthusiasts in our forum.
And Me being one of them since childhood.

Dudes,why dont we start posting pictures of commercial vehilces. I come from Mangalore,with private buses running full steam all with different styles. I never realsied this thread would gain so much popularity.I hope commercial vehicle mnftrs are watching....
Good idea.. do post some pictures please
Old 20th July 2007, 09:14   #118
BHPian

Quote:
All Commercial vehicles have power steering now...

The remotely opereated gearshift mechanish is much better for operational usage, Just look at the weird angle in which the driver has to put his hand for Engaging the gears which are on the back side of the gate..with the direct linkage.

As for longterm dependeblity I can't comment. The direct linkages last long.. really long......... ding dong.Dunno about the Direct linkage.
Old 20th July 2007, 14:58   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomz
The direct linkages last long.. really long......... ding dong.Dunno about the Direct linkage.
What are u smoking,jomz??
Old 20th July 2007, 19:32   #120
nbr
BHPian

I hope they make it here in India

I know this out of India,but A L has got these kind of buses in Bangalore,The only diffrence is this bus was just launched in dubai on July1st,its a mercedes bus.

Ride is awesome .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks