Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2007, 09:47   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
AL engine power in the Hino series is much better and refined . There are D series and E series engines ,but the basic fact as to why Tata excels in the highlands are because of the gearing .

The gearing of the Tata vehicles is very much suited for highlands and river beds thereby making it more suitable .

Now Tata has engines from cummins and the cummins turbo isnt as fuel efficeint as the AL Hino series . I have been seeing a lot of STU changing over to leyland over Tata.
Incidentally I have also been seeing Eicher buses in Bangalore STU .
Itz actually W series only..... one version with a bit higher stroke
Old 6th July 2007, 11:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Nobody seems to be talking about other CV manufacturers.
Eicher also makes HCVs. They started selling the HCVs a few years back and I can see many of their trucks on the Mumbai-Bangalore highway. Are they also common in the south?
Old 6th July 2007, 11:35   #33
BHPian

Eicher HCV's are out of production last time I heard.... LCV's are still there
Old 6th July 2007, 11:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Eicher HCV's are out of production last time I heard.... LCV's are still there

Eicher is very much there, selling HCVs strongly,there was even a report of how they got one single order for HCVs of 300 from one transport operator last week. Interestingly, Eicher has now introduced tractor-trailers also (35 tons, I think), apart from the 16 and 20 tonners they already have
Old 6th July 2007, 11:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Eicher is very much there, selling HCVs strongly,there was even a report of how they got one single order for HCVs of 300 from one transport operator last week. Interestingly, Eicher has now introduced tractor-trailers also (35 tons, I think), apart from the 16 and 20 tonners they already have
Ok.. But the tractor trailers are NOT on their website..
Models like Tera which was in introduced some years back are NOT on their website
New Galaxies in 2003-4 was seen abundantly on Chennai - banglore GQ but nowdays I see only old ones.
The marketing guy in Chennai of AL told me that Eicher HCV"s are wiped out of Chennai.. By the competetion..

Even the Website doesn't Show Much of applications for HCV's ... It shows mostly LCV's.. By which I stongly suspect they are sort of out from HCV's..
Old 6th July 2007, 12:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Let me talk to some friends to get more info on Eicher. Many years back, they had produced a tractor trailer based on their LCV. But that was not a commercial success. I have never heard of a product called Tera that Jomz mentioned. Eicher also has naming convention like 10.50, 20.16 etc. in which the first two letters (10, 20 etc.) are the series number and the latter number actually gives the GVW of the vehicle. So 10.50 is a 5 ton GVW vehicle & 20.16 has a GVW of 16 ton.

-Biju
Old 6th July 2007, 12:18   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Let me talk to some friends to get more info on Eicher. Many years back, they had produced a tractor trailer based on their LCV. But that was not a commercial success. I have never heard of a product called Tera that Jomz mentioned. Eicher also has naming convention like 10.50, 20.16 etc. in which the first two letters (10, 20 etc.) are the series number and the latter number actually gives the GVW of the vehicle. So 10.50 is a 5 ton GVW vehicle & 20.16 has a GVW of 16 ton.

-Biju
The Hindu : Business / Briefly : Eicher forays into tipper segment
The link about the launch of Eicher Terra

Had a different cabin From the galaxy... Was launced in kerala before
It feels funny to see every alternate post being mine

Last edited by Jomz : 6th July 2007 at 12:21.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Leyland well have one soon.... Leyland had showcased the Commonrail CV engine in Ayto Expo 2006... Will hit production

Anyway i worked on that Engine...
Hehehe.... now we know whom to curse if that engine breaks down

BTW any of you guys have information on the AMW, Force-MAN, Tatra vehicles? Are they making the Tatra here or importing it, I saw it in a magazine some time back and they were on their way to India.
Old 6th July 2007, 13:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hehehe.... now we know whom to curse if that engine breaks down

BTW any of you guys have information on the AMW, Force-MAN, Tatra vehicles? Are they making the Tatra here or importing it, I saw it in a magazine some time back and they were on their way to India.
TATRA is made somewhere near Hosur... Some times In a petrol pump I see some TATRA's with Leyland Stallions.. the Stallions seems small next to a TATRA T 815 meantfor the military

And Sometimes at night Seen a hemang Dumper being carried on a tractor Trailer No somewhere

Yeah Got the link

Web Home to Tatra Vectra Motors Limited
Don't forget to check the models.

AMW is in full production last time I heard. Plant is somewhere in Gujrat.

FORCE - MAN.. They are very secretive. Dunno whatz happening at their End.
Old 6th July 2007, 14:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

AMW seems to be doing very weel from their plant at Rajkot. They use Cummins 260 bhp engines and ZF transmissions. There was a report of them having clocked a turnover of Rs 100 crores. Their most attractive product is the 49-tonner, which seems to be establishing a new segment. Nowadays, in Bombay area, I see lots of them lugging HRC. Vehicles look great and powerful.

MAN is not to be seen on the roads yet on a large scale, although I did see a couple of them.
Old 6th July 2007, 14:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

Are MAN Trucks already on the market? About a year or so ago, I saw a yellow test specimen stuck on the narrow ARAI approach road.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
STALLION :- Defence Vehicle 6 X 6, 4 X 4 (this is the ones which you'd see in the highlands of your so called highlands- Leh- starts in snow and runs with snow chains.. there YOU can buy a lottery if you find a TATA, sorry that i had to say this to a TATA fan)
I thought Defence vehicles were designed in conjunction with VFJ. And similar vehicle can be nomenclatured based on manufacturer but not marketed outside. I have been seeing a lot of Tata 4X4's in the past present and am quite sure will be in the future. Have seen a couple on Spiti valley (very close to Leh).

But I do agree, I am not as big a TATA fan as I used to be, I used to love the old Tata engine note which was "ghaang ghaang" (used to sound like a trained singer, but then that was the Mercedes-Benz spec engine)rather than the Leylands khhrrrmm Khhrrrmm, now seemingly the Cummins powered engines are also khhhrrmmm, comparing with the HINO engine note, you will be pleased to note, I like the Hino sound more.

Yes the other CV makers are hardly having any presence, though I would like to see more of them.

Like VOLVO, you can only see some dump trucks in Kolkata region, but I guess I have seen a couple of AMW's (being a recent entry thats good). A couple of EICHER Jumbos, would have loved to see more of them, but unfortunately not any of them brand new. But every other day I see a brand new 2514 EX Tractor trailer.
Old 6th July 2007, 20:51   #43
nbr
BHPian

Depends on Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Sorry Leyland too had a Semi Forward cab design, which never quite cut the cake. The 1210SE came, saw and kept conquering.

Highlands are not only in the parts mentioned by you, on the REAL highlands on the northern part of India where the Himalayas are situated, you can buy a lottery when you see a Lay-land. Private or public there isn't anything other than TATA (I guess its also about peoples mindset that when they want to travel they WANT to say "Tata"). Leyland does sell at places where some officials decide which brand of vehicles to induct in the fleet.

Anyway wanted to know something very basic, I had been a big fan of Tata trucks from my early childhood (and all my notebooks were lined with 1210E faces maybe because the Leylands never had a face only names which are as mocho-est as it can get in India - Cheetah, Tusker, Viking Oh God what names) but I have always wanted to decipher the real meanings behind the designations 1210, 1510, 1516 turbo etc (now they seem to have 1312, 1512 etc 2514 which I think they share with AL , or is the AL designation different). I also want to know the name designations of the Leylands (for the Viking Comet etc)

What i have realised since so many years is that, AL coulnot establish in North India,bcoz general mindset was its a South Indian company. since it was manufactured in Tamil Nadu. While TATA had a very good name since ages. Now i guess AL is setting up its base somewhere in Himachal pradesh.Hope Al will do wonders in the North as well. Nice too see Majority of Buses are Al in Gulf countries.

Regarding people argueing regarding State Govt buses,Its all depends on the commision/Cut,(corrupt officials) the person gets who has the power to place an order with these companies. All depends on the share they get with every purchase.

Last edited by nbr : 6th July 2007 at 20:54. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 6th July 2007, 21:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Leyland name Desgnations
VIKING, CHEETAH :- Bus chassis
TUSKER:- 6 X 2
TAURUS:- 6 X 4
HIPPO ,BEAVER :- >1000Nm torque vehicles, Using the good ol' 680 cubic inch engine >12L
COMET:- 4 X 2 Small truck; 4 X 4 available on request
LYNX, STAG :- Minibuses
STALLION :- Defence Vehicle 6 X 6, 4 X 4 (this is the ones which you'd see in the highlands of your so called highlands- Leh- starts in snow and runs with snow chains.. there YOU can buy a lottery if you find a TATA, sorry that i had to say this to a TATA fan) But unfortunately Not for public sale.. I always wanted to buy one and drive it over the ricks in bangalore.. and wanted it painted yellow too
FAT :- Field artillery tractor ; Available only in 6 X 6
LRV :- Light recovery vehicle; 4 X 4 a stallion derivative
HMV :-High mobility vehicle; 6 X 6 stallion with large up- down travel of wheels.for ofroading
BISON :-semi forward control Model 4 X 2, advertised But Never reached mass production.
ECOMET:- sort of a big LCV
CARGO:- DISCONTINUED, LCV's
ARTIK :- TRACTOR TRAILERS
Did you forget TITAN? anyway I have sees a few trucks with VIKING moniker long back, does this mean that a few truck applications needed bus chhasis. How different is the Bus chassis from the Truck chassis (as both are ladder frames), I guess just the suspension settings (presence of shockers and softer leafs)
Old 6th July 2007, 21:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Long back in a visit to tirupati-tirumala, when i asked the conductor about the absence of AL buses, he replied that the cut-chassis buses from AL is not easily(i assume it as delay) available.

But Tamil nadu STC uses AL for all hills-ooty,valparai, top-slip,munnar, kodaikanal etc..So it can be taken that since AL plant is in TN-KA border(hosur), an 'understanding' may exist.

But now-a-days tata buses are increasingly used in all TNSTCs.

It was heaven for me listening to the turbo spool at each hair-pin bend when i travel from pollachi(my native town) to valparai .

Earlier travelling in tata buses was more preferential to AL as the engine noise was relatively less. Now with turbo charged versions, AL has dramatically improved in this area too..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks