Team-BHP - Commercial Vehicle Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Commercial Vehicle Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/25885-commercial-vehicle-thread.html)

I just looked around and found no thread dedicated to Commercial vehicles.
So, I decided to start one.
Im sure we have a lot of business owners and CV enthusiasts in our forum.
And Me being one of them since childhood.

We currently own:
1997 Ashok Leyland Cargo 709
Tata 407s of ('92,'97, '01)
2007 Eicher 10.90 (Xtra-Long Wheel Base)
2004 Bajaj Minidor
1996 Mahindra Commander 750 DP (Long Wheel Base)

Jyobeb, N_C, MadMonkey, and others do post the commercial vehicles that u own/owned and use.

you have an AL cargo Or Ecomet???
I thought Cargoes were out of production by 1998 or so..
Got with The IVECO engine or HINO engine???
If IVECO.... Be careful okay.. spares might be a problem soon..

During the early days of team-bhp there where a few posts by aadix,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-dcm-dyna.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...na-driven.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ata-407di.html

Wow, Rahul!
U've dug up pretty well.
I remember reading Aadix's Dyna review.
We owned one during the late 80s/early 90s.
@Jomz,U got that right. My memory is fails me and i just looked up.Its a '97 Iveco and yes, spares are a bit tough to find.

Great to see truck lovers on the forum. I have a sentimental attachment to TATA 1210SE. My uncles owned many trucks over the years and I enjoyed travelling with them. Usually owners do not drive their trucks. My family was different.

Whenever we took a new truck, my uncle had the exclusive rights to the keys and that meant me too.

Another truck that interested me those days were the TATA 609, long chassis. I also got to hold my first steering in this truck, although I have never driven the truck till today. Will scan and post a few photos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 487579)
@Jomz, '97 Iveco and yes, spares are a bit tough to find.

Well Sell it off and Get a new Ecomet... HINO Engine on an IVECO chassis..

Or get a HINO 4D engine and take it to the workshops.. They'll happily swap it for you.. Gearbox.. I think is common between the models.. Need to change the clutch though..

Jomz, the engine is fine.
So why mend it if it ain't broken!
Btw, do u work in AL or do u own any trucks??

Shhhh.... Computer lock first one....
In engine Research and development In AL...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 487591)
Great to see truck lovers on the forum. I have a sentimental attachment to TATA 1210SE. My uncles owned many trucks over the years and I enjoyed travelling with them. Usually owners do not drive their trucks. My family was different.

Whenever we took a new truck, my uncle had the exclusive rights to the keys and that meant me too.

Another truck that interested me those days were the TATA 609, long chassis. I also got to hold my first steering in this truck, although I have never driven the truck till today. Will scan and post a few photos.

Thats surprising cos I guess in TN you can hardly find a Tata truck (atleast thats how it was till the last time I had been there 8yrs back).

Does anyone know of an upcoming rule banning the use of 15+years old CVs??

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 488176)
Thats surprising cos I guess in TN you can hardly find a Tata truck (atleast thats how it was till the last time I had been there 8yrs back).

I am actually from Kerala. Leyland is rare in Kerala. Since most Tatas have more power and torque, it does well on the highlands.

Leyland especially the Hino series are good kill for the highways. But tend to lack performance with overload and hill climbing conditions. Tata scores beautifully here and is very popular in the hills.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
Does anyone know of an upcoming rule banning the use of 15+years old CVs??

Nitrous, good to see this thread ..

The 15 year rule is supposed to be applicable for metros. Hope they do ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 489602)
I am actually from Kerala. Leyland is rare in Kerala. Since most Tatas have more power and torque, it does well on the highlands.

Leyland especially the Hino series are good kill for the highways. But tend to lack performance with overload and hill climbing conditions. Tata scores beautifully here and is very popular in the hills.

I am not sure of the torques, but this is mostly a user perception. For example, while long distance bus operators in TN and Kerala swear by Leyland, citing mileage and good speeds on highways, in Karnataka, swear that Tata's do better on this count. State transport corporations have, of course, so far equally divided the pie, more or less.
In kerala, most short distance buses (less than 35KM in one direction) go for Tata buses - even now, while buses for longer routes are leylands. Curiously, both will travel around 250 to 350 KM per day, depending on the permit they have.
Just in case you are convinced that this is more a user perceiption - just look at this - BEST, Mumbai and almost all of TN uses AL; almost all of Delhi uses Tata.
And yes, I am aware that we have been discussing trucks. Except for Volvo and that rare buses with rare engine and / or are low slung both trucks and buses in India use the same chassis and engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 489602)

Wrong........ kerala has very Wrong Mindset about Tata Vehicles.. The reason Fot TATA 1210 being extensievely used in Kerala is because of the semi forward cab design (like cars - engine in front).. Which Leyland never had a model and the highlands guys found it more better.. (God knows for what)

Leyland Hino's are more torquier and powerful than tata 697's used in 1210's... I'll dig up the facts soon.. and post it here

And ajo if highlands find TATA better ,.. how will you explain the overabundance of Leyland buses in all the Highlands?? Palai, Wynad, Nilambur, Idukki and alll.. I'm taking about Private buses only... State transport is a different issue.All the buses there will be leyland.

And How come the buses to chennai- Kerala, bangalore- Kerla are always Leyland's & volvo's?? Because of lower power??the buses are 1210 and 1610 series of tata.. If you see across a State transport bus Look at the front badging for proof.

Not making a point that leyland is better... But Just telling how the mindset of pepole can be changed.. But Just seeing more of them..

But for a fact. Al Leylands are premium priced than TATA's..

Can't Get the values for 1210 since out of production.. but comparing 1613 models

Tata ;power = 91kW (697 engine)
Leyland ; power = 97kW (Hino)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 487563)
We currently own:
1997 Ashok Leyland Cargo 709
Tata 407s of ('92,'97, '01)
2007 Eicher 10.90 (Xtra-Long Wheel Base)
2004 Bajaj Minidor
1996 Mahindra Commander 750 DP (Long Wheel Base)

Jyobeb, N_C, MadMonkey, and others do post the commercial vehicles that u own/owned and use.

So, now i know whom to call when i want to move something. ;)