Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 22:47   #1
LLL
BHPian

Del Blueline Buses - read this article

India eNews - Killer Buses: Who's responsible?

By Rudroneel Ghosh. Delhi, India, 12:34 PM IST

It seems that last Sunday’s huge bus accident at the Rajouri Garden intersection has finally stung the authorities out of their deep slumber. Whether anything substantial will be done to ensure the safety of the passengers on such public buses run by private transporters is something that yet remains to be seen.

Today the Delhi Transport Minister, Haroon Yusuf, has called a meeting of private bus operators in the city to discuss safety regulations and also the proposal of having speed governors on these buses. Sunday’s accident had led to the horrific death of a 13 yr. old boy named Maurick Sharma who was at the time riding with his father and brother on their two wheeler when a blue line bus came from behind and rammed into them. Maurick was killed on the spot whereas his father and brother survived with minor injuries.

The bus had not only rammed into little Maurick’s two-wheeler and snatched away his innocent life, it also created a huge pile up at the intersection ramming into several other cars present. The driver of the bus had fled from the scene but was later arrested from his house on Monday. Eyewitnesses who were present say that the driver seemed to have been drunk at the time of the accident.

The accident has created outrage in the city with some people even demanding the suspension of privately run blue line buses. But this suggestion can hardly be taken seriously as such buses in fact form the very backbone of the city’s public transport system. What is required is the strict implementation of rules and regulations, which are otherwise flouted on a daily basis. Private transporters need to be made much more accountable and the government should not hesitate from taking drastic measures such as cancellation of licenses or even throwing the transporter and the bus driver in jail for violating the rules.

It is not as if such rules don’t exist. It is only the severe lack of implementation that causes such mishaps. It is true that many of these bus drivers do not even have a proper license to drive but do so anyway. It is the responsibility of the police to nab such violators and punish them accordingly but since when does the police do what they are supposed to? It is also a fact that all these private operators have to pay a monthly ‘hafta’ or a bribe to the police to operate their buses. That is what they are doing whenever you see a cop suddenly pulling over a bus for no apparent reason. The question that we need to ask ourselves is that when we have such a corrupt police force that leaves no quarter when it comes to extorting bribe from these private transporters then is it really that surprising that there are blue line bus drivers driving without a proper license or even the proper skills to drive a bus?

Having a speed governor on board private buses seems to be a good idea. It is assumed that such a person will be appointed by the government. But based on experience it might not be a stretch to say that even if we have speed governors on board our buses there is a chance that such a person might get too friendly with the driver and the conductors of the bus and therefore relax in doing his duties. In such a scenario the driver of the bus might get away with minor violations, which the friendly speed governor will overlook.

The point is this; we cannot let even the smallest of offences go unpunished. We as the public need to take matters into our own hands. In fact let us be honest and owe up to the fact that it is we, the public, that has been largely responsible for the present state of affairs. How many times have any of us protested when we felt that the bus driver was over-speeding or driving rash? How many times have we protested when the bus driver didn’t bother to stop properly at bus stops and people had to jump onto a running bus?

As long as we the public don’t speak out and stand up for ourselves no amount of rules and regulations will help. The bus drivers and conductors might look like goons but we can’t allow that to intimidate us and keep quiet. We need to speak out and take responsibility for ourselves and then only can we change for the better.

SPEED GOVERNOR IS A PERSON!!!

Note from mod:Thread moved, Please use the correct section while posting

Last edited by tsk1979 : 9th July 2007 at 22:38.
Old 3rd July 2007, 23:20   #2
BHPian

Incase people missed out- The outcome of the meet is " No Blueline to ply By 2010"..! The Goverment aims to remove all Blueline Operators and Put in place High Capcity Bus Service along with Low floor buses.

Absolutely stunning news, with promise of better and safer delhi roads and Bus Technology.

The Goverment will no longer Renew permits and those that have to will be done till 2010.
Old 3rd July 2007, 23:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

huh!!! this seems introducing new buses,new strategies new funds raised and again the ministers/politicians/high level people get a chance to mint...and at the end of the day nothing is going to happen within a month everyone will forget this...sad:(
Old 4th July 2007, 00:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post

ROTFLMAO ,

i hope it's just a lack of understanding on the part of journos.
Old 4th July 2007, 01:24   #5
LLL
BHPian

Sadly such kind of folks create the policies.
Old 4th July 2007, 11:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

well, it just goes to show that the people who are writing dont know anything about what they are writing about. same goes with a lot of other news papers as well... but the best laugh for the day.... "Having a speed governor on board private buses seems to be a good idea. It is assumed that such a person will be appointed by the government."
Old 4th July 2007, 13:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:

WOW thats the weirdest thing i ever heard
Old 4th July 2007, 13:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
well, it just goes to show that the people who are writing dont know anything about what they are writing about. same goes with a lot of other news papers as well... but the best laugh for the day.... "Having a speed governor on board private buses seems to be a good idea. It is assumed that such a person will be appointed by the government."
I think he might have a lasso round the neck of the driver.
Will he be appointed by the speed president ??
Old 4th July 2007, 13:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Incase people missed out- The outcome of the meet is " No Blueline to ply By 2010"..! The Goverment aims to remove all Blueline Operators and Put in place High Capcity Bus Service along with Low floor buses.

Absolutely stunning news, with promise of better and safer delhi roads and Bus Technology.

The Goverment will no longer Renew permits and those that have to will be done till 2010.
The govt probably took this step knowing that the Supreme court will inevitably end up with a PIL on this subject and start whipping the govt into action.
Old 4th July 2007, 14:51   #10
BHPian

Buses not to blame!

I think the plying or not plying of Blue Line buses will not solve the problem. Its the system which is suppose to change. All the blue line buses are driven rash because the drivers drive fast so as to collect maximum no. of passengers. Usually if a bus is suppose to ply on the ring road 10 times in a day, the driver will drive like maniacs so that he does 12 rounds instead of 10.

The income of driver and the conductor is directly linked to the no. of passengers. There should be a system to give the drivers and conductors their fixed salaries..
Old 4th July 2007, 19:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
I think the plying or not plying of Blue Line buses will not solve the problem.
yes, as far as i remember, blue line was started when redline buses became notorious for accidents.

the same operators will move to the new transport system IMO.
Old 7th July 2007, 01:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

In Kolkata/West Bengal the state Busses are the biggest bullies on the road.

Its sometimes just a matter of driver from underpreviliged society suddenly getting a flavour of tremendous control over everything in his way.

For example, I never have a habit of honking continously, but generally on the 2 lane highways, when I come upto the rear of a vehicle, I just hit the horn and release, sort of letting know that I am there, a few moments letter I give a reminder, by this I actually am given way very soon (instead of just keeping the horn pressed). I find that on a few stretches the WBSTC, CSTC busses (on the Digha Kolkata route) unwilling to give way. Even when they slow down and you end up taking the opportunity by going beside them, they simply slam your way (even if you are able to see clearly that there is no reason for them to have come to the middle as they have ample room on the left). I cant think of any other reason for them to do so apart from plane jane ego. However , it usually ends up in overtaing them thru the right shoulder wherever possible, and after overtaking them, to drive at 40 kmph right in front of their noses.

Its just that these busses are driven and riden (mostly) by people who sort of enjoy the damage potential, their mode of transport have. I recall an incident where one acquintance was simply excited about how a Statebus had hit a Maruti 800 and that car had flew off. It did not seem to him for a moment that the Bus Driver was at fault. And he ruined a Family.

According to his mindset, it was conquest of the power of the average man over someone, the average man thinks, is responsible for his misfortunes. Its very very common in Kolkata area.

Last edited by 1100D : 7th July 2007 at 01:40.
Old 7th July 2007, 10:16   #13
BANNED

One thing I have noticed on these "blueline" buses during a visit sometime in early 2000 is that they have some smart alec standing in the front door way, banging on the side panel, shouting and scaring the wits out of vehicles on the LH side. Their other function is to ensure that alighting passengers jump out and embarking passengers are bundled in as quickly as possible. These guys are not unique to delhi - all private buses in Kerala have these guys, and are called "kilis" in Malayalam.
Mere presence of these guys makes the drivers aggressive, in the secure knowledge that the kilis will take care of the LHS of the bus. Obviously, they are more prone to speeding.
There are quite a few private buses in Kochi city which do not have the kilis, and as a long time resident here, I can say that these buses are less prone to accidents.
I should also point out that once, I came accross a publication by the government of Kerala, which showed that KSRTC buses, are less prone to accidents when compared to private buses. The only diference is that KSRTC does not have these kilis.
BTW, about the speed governors, Kerala is in the process of implementing them, and I should say that this does not make much difference. Driving a bus at 30KMPH amongst traffic moving at 10KMPH is as dangerous as taking a sharp curve at 65 KMPH on a 12 tonne truck.
Just take off these kilis, insist on only ONE conductor and one driver on a bus at a time, and private buses will end up being safer for all. Unfortunately, in Kerala, there was such a move, but was thwarted when these guys filed a PIL in the High court against this move by the RTA, Ekm.
And I guess I am qualified to say this, because I have been a kili (a safe one, at that) myself, and still use the private buses for daily commute and my vehicle only for week end use.
Old 9th July 2007, 22:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Just take off these kilis, insist on only ONE conductor and one driver on a bus at a time, and private buses will end up being safer for all.
Why do you even need the conductor. Bus systems in the developed world use only the driver and an automated ticket generating machine.
Old 9th July 2007, 22:08   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Why do you even need the conductor. Bus systems in the developed world use only the driver and an automated ticket generating machine.
I do appreciate your POV, but, unlike the passenger and usage pattern in developed countries, and here is very different. I guess (mostly from video footage on TV) that occupancy rates in developed countries' public ROAD transport is below 90%, in India, it is above 120%.
This means, if a vehicle is to carry 43 persons seated and 20 standing, it will be actually be carrying above 80 people at any given point of time (except close to arrival and destination points, and during odd hours).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks