Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2024, 12:19   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions

In a bid to avoid Indigo, I took an Air India flight to Chennai. Except for a creaky aircraft, the flight was very pleasant. My return was on the maiden A350. Lovely aircraft- better than Singapore Airlines

Now my priority will be

Vistara
AirIndia
Akasa
Indigo

Internationally, will consider Air India if it is an A350
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 19:07   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

My very recent boarding and on board experiences on 20.01.24, with Indigo for the scheduled 7.20 am for flight from Nagpur- Kolkata (no. 6E 812) :-

1. Nagpur Airport has only one Indigo X RAY SCANNER working of the three installed, for checked in baggage. A huge queue was seen on 20.01.24 morning (0615 hrs) where it took 30 plus minutes to get the suitcase security checked. There are quite a few flights operating during these hours. Priority to those with immediate flights need to be given.

2. I had checked in the day before for this flight and reached Indigo counter post my luggage X-Ray, but the last checked in baggage was accepted just before mine. I was told to carry the checked in baggage with cabin baggage and pager message was passed by the Indigo Check in counter onto the boarding gate and crew. But the CISF security found items in my X-Rayed baggage unfit as to carry within the cabin. It took a lot of time to weed out a few items.

3. I would have missed the 7.20 am flight. Boarding was complete. I rushed, and the two Indigo angel ladies at the then closed boarding gate communicated with crew to allow me in. An Indigo porter was told by these angel ladies swiftly helped me carry my suitcase.

4. I boarded 6E812 and was relieved. It was only due to the devotion of the two lady angels at the boarding gate and the devoted porter that I could board.

5.The new Airbus A320 Neo's have only one washroom evidently to fit more passenger seats. This is too inconvenient especially for back row passengers. Especially when two food trolleys are on the move. There should be at least one washroom at the tail portion of the aircraft.

Its good that Indigo still has staffers who have a good soul and are helpful to passengers. I am referring to the two angel ladies at the boarding gate.

Indigo is he only airline to run on this sector and hence there is no alternative. It was a first for me in my 27 years of air travel to be the last passenger to board the airplane, rushing in with the luggage.

Also, the good old days of four washrooms, two each in the fore and aft portions of the airplane appear to be passe as far as Indigo is concerned. Won't be surprised if they levy washroom usage charges sometime soon.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th January 2024 at 19:14.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 19:37   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
5.The new Airbus A320 Neo's have only one washroom evidently to fit more passenger seats. This is too inconvenient especially for back row passengers. Especially when two food trolleys are on the move. There should be at least one washroom at the tail portion of the aircraft.

Also, the good old days of four washrooms, two each in the fore and aft portions of the airplane appear to be passe as far as Indigo is concerned.
You were on VT-IPR which is indeed brand new. I do think they had some issues with the rear washrooms though. Not possible that they have done away with the rear ones (I hope!).
Old 7th February 2024, 23:06   #139
BHPian

Sometime back I was travelling on a red eye flight of Air India Express on BLR-PNQ sector. Most of the passengers were sleeping and crew was doing their food distribution duties. Discussion between crew caught my attention. They were referring seat numbers with 'Alpha/Bravo/Charlie'. Its basically NATO alphabets.

Its very common to hear in cockpit videos on YouTube in exchange between ATC & Cockpit crew. But I never heard cabin crew using the same. It definitely brought a big smile on my face. Not sure if any other airline in India use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Indigo is he only airline to run on this sector and hence there is no alternative.
Indigo has monopoly in many sectors from Nagpur & I assume many other smaller airports. Even for NAG-BLR, they have 2X daily flights. For 1 hours 10 minutes of flight duration their starting fair is 4700. They are dictating fare, thanks to monopoly on this sector.

I hope that Akasa will do better in future. If Indian aviation scene is left at the mercy of duopoly of AI & Indigo, they can easily divide tier 2/3 cities among themselves and customer will have no choice but to pay higher fare.

Last edited by VaibhaoT : 7th February 2024 at 23:18.
VaibhaoT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 08:31   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
Sometime back I was travelling on a red eye flight of Air India Express on BLR-PNQ sector. Most of the passengers were sleeping and crew was doing their food distribution duties. Discussion between crew caught my attention. They were referring seat numbers with 'Alpha/Bravo/Charlie'. Its basically NATO alphabets.

Its very common to hear in cockpit videos on YouTube in exchange between ATC & Cockpit crew. But I never heard cabin crew using the same. It definitely brought a big smile on my face. Not sure if any other airline in India use it.

Not sure of the prevalence of this practice but I think it is good because there is no confusion during any potential emergency.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 08:40   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaibhaoT View Post
NATO alphabets... I never heard cabin crew using the same.
It is I guess part of mandatory training. Not just in airline, but in any area where unambiguous communication with no margin for error is required. In fact decently trained customer care executives understand it fluently.

I had learned it long back when I first heard about it. It is very easy to pick up, and incredibly useful to convey my (rather long) full name, address, PAN etc. over a phone. It takes just about 15 mins to learn and you don't have to think on your feet ("A for Ahmedabad, B for Bangalore, C for... Calcutta?").

Last edited by binand : 8th February 2024 at 08:41.
binand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 05:18   #142
Senior - BHPian

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com.../107637339.cms
Looks like it is time to bring the A330-900 into action on the "trunk" routes as they called it back then. I don't think the model of "dozens of " flights a day between the top-10 metro cities is sustainable.
Old 13th February 2024, 11:15   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com.../107637339.cms
Looks like it is time to bring the A330-900 into action on the "trunk" routes as they called it back then. I don't think the model of "dozens of " flights a day between the top-10 metro cities is sustainable.
India's airlines do not have any A330 operational as we discuss this. Neither are there any orders placed by any of our airlines for the A330 variants.

The single aisle aircrafts fits best to offer multiple options to flyers to choose from - depending on their schedules and/or comfort. If we see the current capacity on important domestic routes in India - the occupancy ratios average upwards of ~85%.

Adding wide-bodies on domestic routes will not result in any flight count reduction, but will in-turn increase the aircraft's TAT while on-ground, impacting schedules and occupying on-ground real-estate, which is already choked at Mumbai Airport, atleast until the New Mumbai Airport opens up.

Morover, I'm a bit confused with the govt's ask : in reducing flight count to address congestion. This comes at a time when the current single-aisle aircraft orders stand at about 800 (split in between AI, 6E, AIX, Akasa). It's directly opposite to Aviation Ministry's vision to make Delhi and Mumbai Airports as Hubs - feeding local traffic to international long-haul flights originating from DEL/BOM (that's what larger airports around the world do - be it NY, LHR, CDG or Frankfurt)

Last edited by jigar1791@gmail : 13th February 2024 at 11:16.
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 14:41   #144
Senior - BHPian

This is a bit of a reality check for all stakeholders. We do not have the infrastructure to service our intended traffic plans. An A330 in a dense domestic configuration may be better suited than having 2 or 3 equivalent A32x. There may be some examples in the lease market ( not the Neos but 330-200/300?) . It will also facilitate more domestic air cargo, an often overlooked commercial operation. Even if Navi Mumbai airport comes up on a full fledged basis you will have only 3 runways in one region .
Compare this with the New York ( JFK, EWR, LGA and other smaller ones ). London ( Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, LCY). Paris ( CDG, ORY, LGB for gen aviation).
Even Delhi might max out on its 4 runways , and even if Noida comes up it may not be enough. Where will all these planes take off from?

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 13th February 2024 at 14:47.
Old 15th February 2024, 23:31   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

A screw was found in the sandwich he ordered while travelling from Bengaluru to Chennai on 01 02.24. Sharing the images of his ‘sandwich’, a Reddit user @MacaroonI13601 informed that he was served a spinach and corn sandwich on his Bengaluru to Chennai flight on February 1. He left the sandwich untouched during the journey. When he opened the packet after deboarding, he was shocked to find a screw in it.

Following this, he reached out to the airlines and demanded an apology, however, IndiGo argued that his complaint was void as he consumed the food.

A photo of the screw in the sandwich is seen on this link:-

https://indianexpress.com/article/tr...te-it-9160527/
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 19:39   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting to read that Indigo is on the verge of wet-leasing Boeing 737 Max aircraft to tide over the engine grounding crunch.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...29851.html/amp

Most Viewed