Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2023, 15:17   #31
BHPian

Re: KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels

Here below is my comment on YouTube for a promotional video by KSRTC MD. Instead of modifying it, I am just copy pasting my comment here.

The overnight journey buses should have an attached toilet. With age, the urinary incontinence (Can't hold urine for long and frequent urination) is a common and embarassing problem with elderly travelers and that's why they mostly prefer to travel by train and not by bus.

Even the female passengers are very concerned to deboard at middle of night at obscure stops to relieve themselves due to safety & hygeine reasons.

In my opinion, lack of toilet facility in the overnight / long route buses is the single major reason for many elders (such as me and many whom I know) not prefering a bus journey and instead prefering only the trains.

There is a single Flybus (with toilet facility) overnight bus operating from Bengaluru Intl airport to Kundapura every night. More such buses can really help a large section of the travelers

Even though I love the Ambaari Dream Class, Club Class and now the Utsav, I can only dream to travel in them as I have urinary incontinence and my pressure builds up suddenly and frequently. So no Ambaari for me. Ofcourse I can use an adult diaper and give it a try.

But I am surprised that the KSRTC officials (or for that matter any buses in India) never gave a thought to the physical and biological degradation that occurs in human body beyond a certain age and the issues and restrictions that comes with it when we consider traveling. For women it's an additional issue, safety & hygiene. I have watched many YouTube videos where KSRTC long haul buses stop for loo break in the middle of night after crossing some toll booth and I don't know how safe or hygienic it is.

Reduce 2 or 4 seats and increase the ticket price. People like me will happily pay and enjoy the bus journey.

Last edited by ashkamath : 2nd March 2023 at 15:31. Reason: Spelling mistake
ashkamath is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 20:22   #32

Thanks for the wonderful review @vigsom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Dislikes:[list][*]Speed locked to 80kmph. The vehicle crossed 80kmph at exacty 4 instances (from my GPS log) on the entire trip (530kms), may be on down slope. This is the most tiring part. I don't know about the private buses now, but gone are the days when I get to Kochi in 7-8 hours in a Volvo.[*]White interiors may get dirty soon. [*]The fare is 1700 compared to 1500 for Ambari Dreamclass. As a passenger, there is nothing much you get with this extra cost.
Speed lock is really inevitable these days, but they can have the speed lock at 95 kmph max, which is indeed safe. In addition, I also feel that the higher fare slab for the sake of just being a 9600 doesn't really help, given they don't have extra features to substantiate the cost. Hope KSRTC considers this and brings down the cost comparable to Ambaari Dream Class.

KSRTC is eminent for its maintenance, and so they'll put forth their maximum efforts to keep the fleet clean.
RRA_Blogger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 09:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Currently all routes of "Ambari Utsav" are being operated by BCD-2 (Bangalore Central District-2) Depot.
A Small correction there. Ambari Utsav is being operated from both premium depots of Bangalore Central Division i.e., BCD-2 & BCD-4. They've added these newer buses on routes that are the most remunerative to them, and that's why they aren't on the Mumbai & Pune route yet.

In addition, one Ambari Utsav is being operated by Mangalore-2 depot as well.
binaiks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 15:04   #34
BHPian

I did Bangalore to Udupi in Ambari Utsav and back on the same route on Ambari Dream class and here are my observations comparing the 2::
Note:: On both journeys, I was on the 2nd row - upper berth - double seat.

- Ambari Utsav does look and feel premium;
- The AC performance is better with multiple vents in Utsav; the vents in dream class get the job done, but AC blower is very loud in Dream class. When the AC was turned on, it sounded like an aircraft ready to take off. The AC vent in both are same - you can adjust the direction of AC blow, but cannot adjust the speed. Both close on their own on a sudden jerk. I expected better vents on Utsav, at least with speed adjustments.
- the cabin lights are bright in Utsav (for some reason there are 2 lights per seat, and both are almost equally bright). The lights in the bus are warm white in color and not very bright so when the bus stops for some stop, it does not wake you up. The lights in dream class were too bright in comparison.
- The curtains were clean on both. The curtains in utsav are on a channel track that keeps getting stuck everywhere and when the bus breaks suddenly, they slide off on their own. The curtain in dream class is on a rod that was far easy to move around.
- The seats on both were clean and good. The seats in dream class did not have an extra cloth lining, but utsav did have it. The length of both seats are almost comparable, but I found utsav seats cramped (I am almost 6ft) due to the extra cushions for backrest and headrest (with VOLVO badging). These cushions eat up almost 2 inches and I could not stretch my legs comfortably (I found the seat length of dream class good enough and usable)
The headrest and backrest were useless for me, the cabin is not tall enough to sit comfortably leaning on these cushions. I would have preferred not to have these cushions at all.
- USB ports on utsav and power sockets on dream class - both worked fine. I would have liked to have one of each on both though just for added convenience.

- the ride quality:: Oddly this is where I saw a big difference. The roads between Bangalore and Udupi are horrible currently (Sakleshpura route) and both buses took the exact same route (Bangalore - Sakleshpura - Mangalore - Udupi and back). On the Utsav, I just could not sleep. I felt too much movement inside the cabin throughout the journey, especially after Sakleshpur. In comparison, I could sleep very well in Dream class, yes I did feel some movements around curves, but it was not as bad as what I felt on Utsav.
On Utsav, I felt almost every speed breaker, bad roads and curves/overtakes; on dream class, the ride was a lot more subtle/stable.
Note:: The difference in ride comfort I observed may be due to differences in driver skill/the road may be better on one side of the route / etc. I am just pointing out my personal experience.

Conclusion:: I always hated sleeper buses because of body movements(for this journey, I had to take these buses as wifey likes to travel in sleeper class). I just can't sleep when I feel the motion and so I avoided sleeper buses on this route all these years. With Utsav launch, I had very high expectations since this was launched as a luxury travel option. But I came out very disappointed with what I saw and observed. I honestly do not know why I would want to pay more for Utsav class. I personally still like the Airavata fleet of buses as I feel they are far more comfortable (semi-sleeper) with well-sorted dynamics. (low center of gravity because there is no upper berth)
Between Dream class and Utsav, I would not recommend paying up for Utsav as you do not really get anything extra for the price.
maskebail is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 22:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskebail View Post
I did Bangalore to Udupi in Ambari Utsav and back on the same route on Ambari Dream class and here are my observations comparing the 2::
Note:: On both journeys, I was on the 2nd row - upper berth - double seat.
Was the Dream Class built by Prakash or MG? The Prakash ones are heavier, and might have a slightly better ride quality compared to the Volvo built Utsav.
binaiks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 07:47   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskebail View Post
- The lights in the bus are warm white in color
- curtains in utsav are on a channel track that keeps getting stuck everywhere and when the bus breaks suddenly, they slide off on their own
- found utsav seats cramped (I am almost 6ft) due to the extra cushions for backrest and headrest
- cabin is not tall enough to sit comfortably leaning on these cushions.
- the ride quality: On the Utsav, I just could not sleep. I felt too much movement inside the cabin throughout the journey, especially after Sakleshpur. In comparison, I could sleep very well in Dream class,
- On Utsav, I felt almost every speed breaker, bad roads and curves/overtakes; on dream class, the ride was a lot more subtle/stable
Very pointed observations there @maskebail. Thank You! I was always apprehensive about how the ride quality would be on the Mengaluru sector, and your posts confirmed my fears. When I spoke to the pilot at the depot, he did say that for them, this one rode better. But that might be on a regular highway.
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 14:44   #37
BHPian

I took the Utsav Sleeper Volvo bus from Bangalore to Kerala last week. In the past, I have also taken the Dream class sleeper as well as the AC Corona sleeper. I thought that Utsav being the latest will be good, but I was wrong.

The Utsav sleeper had very pronounced body roll in the upper berth and the seat cushion was too soft resulting in a back pain overnight. I felt the seat berth was also cramped and small compared to the Dream class and Corona AC. Also, there is no room below the lower berth to park your shoes. Overall, I would avoid the latest Utsav sleeper and prefer the Dream class over Utsav. Unfortunately, Corona AC sleeper is now discontinued in the usual route I take, otherwise that was economical and comfortable too.
KVNair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2023, 12:33   #38

I have done the Mangalore - Bangalore sector in Corona sleeper class 2-3 times and found them better compared to the Volvo ones. It's unfortunate that they have been discontinued.

KSRTC (the Karnataka one) has been the leader in terms of offering the best road travel options to commuters and keep improving on their fleets. The Airavat was one such initiative.. need to check on the latest entrants for their comfort quality, first hand
Aj_Pod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 16:03   #39

Thank you for the Ambari Utsav review. I have been travelling frequently on Ambari Dream class ( Bangalore - Udp/Kpur route)and wanted to try Utsav. Utsav services are till IXE only and for the good Friday weekend they have extended it till Udupi. However the onward journey was sold out and the return only the last Berth. In my experience the last single Berth is narrower, shorter and does not have the rack to store bag making it uncomfortable. I end up booking the double Berth if the only last single Berth is available. (I prefer the upper Berth ,as the noise levels/vibrations are low)My overall sense is that the Ambari fleet is ageing and it badly needs an over hall. They dont clean it up after every journey and fixes are temporary.

KSRTC is better than pvt ones. Also the rest rooms need revamp. Specially Chennarayapattna & Sakleshpur. With so much prime real-estate space, i wont be suprised if pvt players are roped in. My heart skips a beat when they zip through the bad patch without any concern for the machine. Glad mostly I am in deep sleep dreaming of a better road.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th April 2023 at 16:13. Reason: spacing for readability
Old 19th April 2023, 22:15   #40
BHPian

I took the Ambari Utsav from Bengaluru to Chennai last weekend. As @maskebail and @kvnair mentioned, the premium was not worth it. I did Chennai- Bengaluru leg on a beaten up (5 + year old MKC Travels AL 12M sleeper with body built by REC, Karur on a lower birth exactly over the rear wheels. I wasn't too happy with the noise insulation (transmission rod), driving and the ride quality until I took the Ambari Utsav when I felt that AL was far better.

While the build quality of Utsav was top notch really with premium looking interiors. The issues were
1) The ride quality was too stiff with every pot holes giving a judder.
2) Too much of swaying at turnings/lane changes that I had to hold on to the hand rails meant for climbing while sleeping
3) Missed the cloth lining over the PU covers that are provided in most sleepers. Plus the PU lining was very slippery
4) The height was perfect for me but anyone over 5'8" will find it cramped.
5) While the rear back rest of passenger was good, the fixed pillow elevation makes it unusable
6) The driving and gear shifts (AMT?) wasn't great either.

To give the benefit of doubt, the vehicle was half empty and that perhaps added to the harsh ride quality. After the trip, I understood why most operators prefer AL sleeper over Volvo as my last three rides on AL Sleeper was far plush. While waiting for the bus at Shanti nagar bus station, saw an old ambari sleeper but did not seem to be well maintained.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 19th April 2023 at 22:18.
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

I gave up my opportunity to drive to Chennai and took the Volvo 9600 based Ambaari Utsav from Bangalore

Absolutely impressive machine, people glance at it with awe. It is a tall machine (almost double decker tall?) and I loved the very Volvo blue colour scheme
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-pxl_20230430_172806811.jpg
Name:  PXL_20230430_172647723_TS_AdobeExpress 1.gif
Views: 1456
Size:  5.63 MB

Modern driver cockpit even by Volvo standards, with a subtle wood trim along the dashboard
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-screenshot_20230502093226.png

The aisle is not very wide and it is not recommended to carry anything beyond a laptop backpack inside the cabin
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-pxl_20230430_174404907.jpg

If you do, this is the only way to manage your personal belongings as there is no underseat nor overhead storage within the cabin
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-pxl_20230430_173945011.jpg

My seat was the first side upper on the left, chosen specifically to gaze at the cockpit. My 180 cm frame could stretch fully (at a slight angle, thanks to my backpack). There is a door for the cabin (like the front engined coaches) so unfortunately the cockpit view is only temporary
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-pxl_20230430_174749893.jpg

The opposite rows have 2+2 berths, this one pictured is the twin upper berth. There is a curtain separation and if travelling solo, the windowless upper berth of the twin is best avoided
Do note that the lower berths are practically at the floor level of the cabin, might feel wierd at first. That said, I think senior citizens may find both (lower as well as upper berths) to be challenging till they settle down
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-pxl_20230430_174727442.jpg

Fabulous interior design, finish and materials chosen, something only a factory built interior will have. The yellow LEDs are nice as is the 'branded' back rest.
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-pxl_20230430_175517208.jpg

There is enough headroom to sit upright against the backrest and the view from the upper berth is great, towering over every other vehicle HGVs included
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-pxl_20230430_173749938.jpg

I found the ride quality as well as the refinement to be top class (zero rattles or unwanted noise in my ride!). The suspension is well damped and doesn't pitch and roll to the extent of causing motion sickness (my guess). The driving was also skillful without aggressive body movements and I was able to get some quality sleep (as much as the 6 hour journey could afford)

It would be interesting to see if some operator introduces a seater configuration of the 9600
GeeTee TSI is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 22:29   #42

I have stopped taking Ambari after an midnight incident ( BLR - UDP route) when the Air suspension( Baloon) burst with a loud noise and the cabin was filled with dust. Though the suspension was lowered it did not jam the wheel. The bus was imbalanced and we continued our journey. An hour of tinkering at channarayapattana depot got us going again. In the morning when I checked the driver bunker ( which has an emergency door), it was in a terrible condition. Shows the apathy towards these amazing machines. Ever since I am travelling in Utsav. The bus is what Ambari used to be in its hay days. Clean with amazing Ride quality & comfort . I find Utsav better balanced. The lower berth, even though doesnt sway much, one can feel the rumbling strips and potholes. I prefer the upper berth. I read comments on how firm the mattress on the Utsav are. This might be probably since they are new. Give it couple of years and they will go through the wear & tear. Also, i was speaking to the driver who mentioned the Utsav has lower BHP than the older variant which makes it less fun to drive. From passenger perspective, the height of the upper berth has increased making one feel comfortable when you sit upright. The backrest & headrest with the volvo logo look fancy, marginally reduce the length and may be problematic for someone over 6ft. I have done more than 10 trips now on the Ambari Utsav and I am a fan.
SilverSurferHC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 09:17   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the Ambari Utsav and Ambari Dream Class on a couple of journeys recently, and have to say, Go KSRTC!

What a change from the bus journeys I remember on this route from my college days more than 20 years ago. That time the Sugamas and the Durgambas ruled the roost and KSRTC was only if you were desperate. Now the tables have turned, the Ambari buses are better and KSRTC service was always better than the private players anyway. I remember a couple of times where a Suguma or VRL bus broke down and the driver acted like he didn't have any responsibility towards the passengers, we had to flag down passing buses and go sit on the floor inside. Once when a KSRTC bus broke down, the driver immediately called for a backup bus from the nearest depot and we were all able to resume our journey with proper seating.

Had avoided buses for a long time after my experiences, but recently had no choice so took these KSRTC buses and now I have absolutely no issues travelling by bus again. I do hope they continue to maintain the buses and standards.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 09:56   #44
BHPian

Recently took ambaari utsav from chennai to bangalore.
From outside bus looks in awe, people now even taking photos. But ride comfort and ergonomics is lower. To start with ac blower is noisiest, too much swaying during lane changes, even in upper birth it felt like i can feel all humps on the road. Very little space below lower seat to even keep shoes properly. Felt that, corona ac is much stable in ride, even though it is older chassis. Certainly not worth premium.

Most Viewed