Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2023, 11:31   #1
BHPian

Cargo vehicle | 500 kg load capacity | Budget of 5-lakhs

Hi,

Dont have a lot of experience/exposure in this space and hence looking for some advice and pointers.

Specifically looking for a cargo vehicle, under 500kgs load capacity but needs to have a closed cabin that can seat at least 2.

Also, importantly, needs to have a steering wheel and not a scooter/bike handle.

Lastly budget is around 5 lakhs max. OK with Petrol or Diesel or even Electric.

Suggestions please. Thanks in advance.
killjoy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 10:16   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Cargo vehicle | 500 kg load capacity | Budget of 5-lakhs

From new vehicles, the best bet for you will be a Maruti Eeco. Can take a hell of a lot of abuse and available in CNG too.

Alternatives in the pre-owned market will be any used body-on-frame pickup truck / MUV / SUV / Offroader. Options can include used Boleros, Isuzu pickups (nothing like the DMax for you), 1st-gen Thars etc.

But really, just get the Eeco. Looking at how courier companies use them, I think it has the durability of a Toyota Innova.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 11:03   #3
BHPian

Just had a look at the Eeco, it looks our old Omni, didnt know they still sold it. Though it is still a little bit outside the budget, can be a good option.

Any thoughts on the Maruti Carry? Looks interesting...
killjoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 11:24   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Just had a look at the Eeco, it looks our old Omni, didnt know they still sold it. Though it is still a little bit outside the budget, can be a good option.

Any thoughts on the Maruti Carry? Looks interesting...

You could consider the Maruti Carry and Ashok Leyland Dost.
Those things seem very very tough indeed.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 12:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

You have not mentioned about the registration type. White board / Yellow board. Or what you want to carry.

If White board, then your options will be limited to closed body vehicles like Eeco, the smaller Mahindra UV's etc. Remove the rear seats and you have the space.

If yellow board, then Maruti Carry, or the lighter LCV's like Tata Ace etc. Yellow Board will allow you have an open cargo bay.

5L budget will mean mainly used vehicles.
Old 27th May 2023, 14:06   #6
BHPian

With a 5 Lakhs budget i would recommend a Dmax. Its reliable and pretty decent on the pocket. But if you are looking at a 500KG load capacity then im assuming that the overall size of the vehicle may also be important consideration as it may have to navigate narrow streets every day. If that is the case then The Tata ace or the Maruti super carry are your best bet.
Old 27th May 2023, 20:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You could consider the Maruti Carry and Ashok Leyland Dost.
Those things seem very very tough indeed.
Dost also looks like a good option.

But like someone else has mentioned, most of these are just outside my budget. I may need to expand the budget or look at used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You have not mentioned about the registration type. White board / Yellow board. Or what you want to carry.

If White board, then your options will be limited to closed body vehicles like Eeco, the smaller Mahindra UV's etc. Remove the rear seats and you have the space.

If yellow board, then Maruti Carry, or the lighter LCV's like Tata Ace etc. Yellow Board will allow you have an open cargo bay.

5L budget will mean mainly used vehicles.
Sorry, Yellow board. Isnt Tata Ace a bike handle vehicle?

Maybe used is the only option, trying to check for options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshrajan View Post
With a 5 Lakhs budget i would recommend a Dmax. Its reliable and pretty decent on the pocket. But if you are looking at a 500KG load capacity then im assuming that the overall size of the vehicle may also be important consideration as it may have to navigate narrow streets every day. If that is the case then The Tata ace or the Maruti super carry are your best bet.

DMax at 5 lakhs?? I am based in Karnataka and I am not sure I will find something in the range, even used quite a bit.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th May 2023 at 09:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 27th May 2023, 20:45   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Dost also looks like a good option.

But like someone else has mentioned, most of these are just outside my budget. I may need to expand the budget or look at used.
Carry is a very good option I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Cargo vehicle | 500 kg load capacity | Budget of 5-lakhs-img_0548.jpeg  

Cargo vehicle | 500 kg load capacity | Budget of 5-lakhs-img_0549.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 21:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
DMax at 5 lakhs?? I am based in Karnataka and I am not sure I will find something in the range, even used quite a bit.
Yea not very used though - https://www.olx.in/item/isuzu-d-max-...iid-1729463093
Check out that link. Thats for 6L but that is also a because of the body/coach on it. It will be bit of search, but might be worth the effort cos they are decent pickups.
i have an arched deck 2014 model that has been my hauler since Dec 2014.
rajeshrajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 08:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, Yellow board. Isnt Tata Ace a bike handle vehicle?
Tata Ace looks almost similar to a Maruti Carry, though it was launched much before it.

It is a proper four wheeler vehicle with a load area and a steering wheel.

Here is the official Tata Ace website : https://ace.tatamotors.com/
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 09:45   #11
BHPian

Ive been using an Eeco for my agriculture business for about 5 years now. Highly recommend it. Reliable, easy, and cheap to maintain, with low down time. They have a cargo version available for Yellow board registrations.
showboat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 10:53   #12
BHPian

I personally own a Maruti Carry, which was first launched with a Celerio Diesel engine. ( now discontinued). It serves the purpose but somehow feel maruti is yet to perfect their Commercial vehicle truck segment in terms of service quality as it is serviced through their passenger cars service Centre and the technicians have not been trained specifically for cargo vehicles. Not sure how the petrol engine is performing now but please do have a look at mahindra commercial vehicles such as jeeto, supro cargo van.

But if you want the tried and tested work horse, look no further than the tata Ace Gold.
Jhinchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 11:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have an Eeco cargo CNG and have experience with Super Carry CNG. Unless you load is larger than 4.5-5 ft in, stick with Eeco. The Super Carry is a cop magnet and drivers are on most days stopped for papers, etc. Many roads don't allow them to pass as well. On the other hand an Eeco can go on all roads where normal cars can go. The Eeco cargo comes with a flat loading area. Does the work and is much better for the driver. On hot days, your staff will appreciate the AC. Super Carry is good as well (I have personally done many Mumbai Pune trips), but lacks AC. Also the loaded and unloaded Super Carry behave very different but a loaded and empty Eeco cargo and not very drastically different in terms of handling.

Cheers.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 12:41   #14
BHPian

Check out Mahindra Jeeto. They have a variety of options, flatbed, and more importantly a 4-wheeler with a diesel engine.

I am curious about Treo Zor too.
1.2TSI7DSG is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 17:46   #15
BHPian

While I do try not to be a KillJoy (pun intended ?), I feel a 3 wheeler GCV will be more economical, but they can seat only the driver(legally) and offer only bike type handle bar.

Quote:

Specifically looking for a cargo vehicle, under 500kgs load capacity

budget is around 5 lakhs max. OK with Petrol or Diesel or even Electric

Yellow board
These 3 requirements put you firmly in 3 wheeler goods carrier territory

*Less than 500 kg payload- check
*Budget for new electric / diesel variant under 5 lacs - check
* Insurance for Yellow Board for 3 wheeler is significantly less than for 4 wheelers

₹4 or more wheeler diesel/petrol GCV basic liability premium = 16,049 plus GST (coverage for accidental damage extra)

₹3 wheeler GCV diesel/petrol basic liability premium = 4,492 plus GST (coverage for accidental damage extra)

You save significantly on purchase price and have better manoeuvrability in narrow streets

Annual upkeep and maintenance is significantly less

Higher FE compared to a 4 wheeler GCV

The Ape diesel GCV wins hands down for being most abuse friendly (as per a diesel 3wheeler owner cum driver acquaintance ) compared to Mahindra and Bajaj diesel 3 wheelers

If you have provision for charging with solar facility, electric is also an option. Ape and Mahindra are the established players

Ape EV provides cabin with lockable door and seems to be more reliable and has higher gradeability; at a slightly higher cost

₹3 wheeler GCV electric basic liability premium = 3139 plus GST (coverage for accidental damage extra)

ATUL is another player with cheaper lead acid battery options and a lower payload capacity

Quote:

needs to have a closed cabin that can seat at least 2

Also, importantly, needs to have a steering wheel and not a scooter/bike handle.
If these requirements can’t be compromised you have only 4 wheeler GCV options

Quote:

While on a recent journey in TN, had some coffee and snacks at a shop in the Madurai Tirunelveli highway

As I had greedily gulped down my meal/snack I was bored and waiting for my Co passengers to finish. At that time an Ape 3 wheeler came to deliver snacks (cakes, puffs, bread , namkeen and the like) to the shop.

I chatted with the driver as I was seeing electric GCV 3 wheeler in flesh for the first time. The factory producing the savoury had a solar installation and the vehicles charging was happening with very less grid power consumption

The owner has a fleet of 3 such Autos and the delivery runs happen twice a day in normal days and thrice in peak demand. Each delivery run is a round trip of maximum 40kms with 5 to 10 stops in between depending on the orders

The owners house and bakery are in the same premises and he ensures the vehicles are charged whenever the solar energy is available and in between delivery runs

Since the goods are namkeen and savouries they occupy more space even and weigh less.

The driver was happy with the electric auto due to almost nil vibrations(and lesser body ache) compared to the single cylinder diesel variants
Voodooblaster is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks