Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2023, 08:03   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3 Trains collide in Odisha | Over 200 dead, 900 injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Knowing how jobless some people are, anyone of them could have made this video after the incident.
Why would someone record the cleaner sweeping the floor?
I don't know about you but I'm a huge fan of cleaning videos. It feels very therapeutic.

Thanks to that, we now have an aural and visual description of the confusion, darkness and utter pain people underwent. This video, I hope, will motivate people to give more importance to safety in various modes of transport.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 10:43   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Knowing how jobless some people are, anyone of them could have made this video after the incident.
Why would someone record the cleaner sweeping the floor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I don't know about you but I'm a huge fan of cleaning videos. It feels very therapeutic.
I have seen instances of videos being taken by colleagues of the staff or supervisor to submit as proof that the work was 'actually' done. This is to improve accountability and overall service. Though not sure if this was the case in this particular video.

Infact, during recent d2h installation at my home, the engineer took photographs + videos of hardware and working TV screen, and shared for record to his team lead. Initially he forgot to take photo of the dish antenna on roof of building and later went back just to take the photo. Without photos and videos, some portion of his incentive would have been held back (even though I confirmed that installation was done as per my satisfaction). Similar situation has been with other product installations recently.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 11:00   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post

Thanks to that, we now have an aural and visual description of the confusion, darkness and utter pain people underwent. This video, I hope, will motivate people to give more importance to safety in various modes of transport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I have seen instances of videos being taken by colleagues of the staff or supervisor to submit as proof that the work was 'actually' done. This is to improve accountability and overall service. Though not sure if this was the case in this particular video.
I agree with both. But in context of this incident, there are many out there who wait for a chance to garner views on sensitive topics or accidents caught live.
However, from the audio, it sounds like it is from this incident since one can hear a train crossing on the opposite direction just a second before the commotion.

------------------------------

I noticed from some images from the accident that there was a luggage van which was part of either of the trains that was also crushed. They are normally attached as the last coach. If that was a passenger coach, many more lives would have been lost.
Attached Thumbnails
3 Trains collide in Odisha | Over 200 dead, 900 injured-untitled.png  

Last edited by tharian : 9th June 2023 at 11:01.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 16:20   #124
BHPian

Odisha govt orders demolition of school that was turned into 'morgue' after Balasore Train Tragedy

According to the news, students of the school were scared to return to their classes in the building which was turned into a temporary morgue. Such is the reluctance of the young students and their parents to come back to a building associated with tragic mass death that the school management committee had pleaded with the state government to demolish the building as it is old. Following the request, the administration ordered to demolish the school.

Totally understandable plight of the students and their parents. Though I don't believe in superstition, I will not be comfortable visiting a building that has seen such tragic days recently. Maybe a few years later, but not now.

Source: Odisha govt orders demolition of school that was turned into 'morgue' after Balasore Train Tragedy

https://twitter.com/indiatvnews/stat...00595050930177
https://twitter.com/timesofindia/sta...08295956643846
Old 18th June 2023, 00:13   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

And after a fortnight of the terrible accident, this is what I saw in the newspapers in the morning.

Quote:
A fortnight after the triple-train crash at Bahanaga in Odisha’s Balasore district, the bodies of 81 victims are still lying unidentified at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Bhubaneswar, officials at the hospital said.
Losing a near one is terrible in itself. I don’t know what’s worse than this !! The whole report can be read here:

https://www.telegraphindia.com/my-ko...ed/cid/1945696

By the way, anyone knows what’s the status of the so called CBI enquiry is ?? They were supposed to find out the criminality for the crash even before the CRS !!
Old 3rd July 2023, 22:49   #126
Senior - BHPian

"Lapses At Multiple Levels": Report Of Inquiry Into Odisha Train Tragedy

Source: NDTV

Quote:
A high-level inquiry has found "wrong signalling" to be the main reason for the Balasore train accident and flagged "lapses at multiple levels" in the signalling and telecommunication (S&T) department, but indicated that the tragedy could have been averted if past red flags were reported.

The independent inquiry report submitted by the Commission of Railway Safety (CRS) to the Railway Board said notwithstanding the lapses in signalling work, remedial actions could have been taken by the S&T staff if "repeated unusual behaviour" of switches connecting two parallel tracks were reported to them by the station manager of Bahanaga Bazar, the spot of the accident...

The report also suggested that the non-supply of station-specific approved circuit diagram for the works to replace the electric lifting barrier at level crossing gate 94 at Bahanaga Bazar station was a "wrong step that led to wrong wiring".

It said that a team of field supervisors modified the wiring diagram and failed to replicate it.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 16:05   #127
Senior - BHPian

More details reported. Seems like the classic and sad case where everything shines on paper but lack of adherence on ground.

Sorry for quoting almost whole reporting, but felt that detailed information should be posted on this forum.

Balasore Coromandel Express accident CRS report: Wrong labelling of location box wires led to mix-up

Source: Indian Express

Quote:
Pointing out “lapses at multiple levels”, the investigation by the Commissioner of Railway Safety (CRS) into the train accident near Balasore in Odisha on June 2, in which at least 293 people were killed, has found that wrong labelling of wires inside the level-crossing location box remained undetected for years and ultimately led to a mix-up during maintenance work. It has said that the tragedy could have been averted if past red flags were not ignored.

While the signalling department has been found to be primarily responsible, the station master, who is part of the operations department, has also been named for failing to detect “abnormal behaviour” of the signalling control system that could have prevented the tragedy.

the signalling staff at the site said that while carrying out replacement work of the ‘electric lifting barrier’ at the level crossing on the day of the accident, they were “misled” by “anomalies” like wrong lettering on the terminal, and the circuit that showed the position of the ‘point’ (the motorised part that guides a train from one track to another) had been shifted in the past.

The CRS probe found that as early as in 2015, the completion wiring diagram – to show technicians how the wiring is meant to be reconnected after maintenance work — was changed on paper and duly approved. But the change of labelling was not done physically.

Again, in 2018, the position of the circuit that detects the status of the ‘point’ was shifted within the location box, but the change was not labelled accordingly – neither on the diagram, not at the cable terminal rack, the CRS said. The wiring diagram of another location box in Balasore was used for the Bahanaga Bazar location box. “This was a wrong step that led to wrong wiring,” said the report.

According to the report, there were indications of anomalies in the system. When the station master, who controls the signals for train operations, gave the command to reverse the ‘point’ from ‘loop line’ to normal ‘Up line’ for the Coromandel Express barely 10 minutes before the accident, the indication of that change came instantly, instead of after a few seconds. “This was the most abnormal occurrence as change of status of a ‘point’ was supposed to take 13-14 seconds,” said the report, adding that this was because of the “false feed” the system was getting due to faulty wiring.

“This abnormal occurrence should have been noticed by the station master as it occurred during individual operation and he was aware of the normal time required for the operation of a ‘point’ (7 to 15 seconds) which he had mentioned suo motu in the inquiry. The station master should have brought this abnormality to the notice of the signalling staff working there, and should not have taken off ‘Up Home’ Signal for the train,” says the report.

The CRS has also found that about two weeks before the accident, the Kharagpur division had a similar incident at Bankra Nayabaz station, due to wrong wring and cable fault. “Had corrective measures been taken after this incident, to address the issue of wrong wiring, the accident at Bahanaga Bazar station would not have occurred,” the CRS has said.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks