Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2007, 14:56   #16
Team-BHP Support

Normally, i dont go and stand to watch the tamaasha in such cases. This involving a Volvo B7R, i wanted to be there. I just love those buses.

Riju, taxes being paid on time. Thats why i need to count on you for money.
Old 5th September 2007, 15:50   #17
BANNED

Ouch! That really hurts. These technological marvels are simply awesome to watch on motion.

Nice job benny!
Wish you all the best on your new job.
Old 5th September 2007, 21:56   #18
BHPian

Ha, Ever travelled in an APSRTC Volvo? (they call it the Garuda) it hurts even more! In fact the one i took today was leaking profusely (they said its because of the a/c effect!!!) and on the way, on hitting a spdbrkr the console holding the DVD player fell off. Its widshield was cracked, and the sealing between the side glasses and frame loose . I am sure, that in another years time, the "marvel" will b made to rest in pieces, with such kind of criminal neglect.
Old 5th September 2007, 22:22   #19
BHPian

Reporting Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The incident took place around 4:30 - 5PM,
Surprisingly, there was no mention of the same in the TOI this morning.
Sorry Benny. You are totally mistaken here. The accident happened at around 1:30pm and not much later than that, coz I was there on the scene a few minutes after it happened (left office at 1:15pm, was home by 3:00pm). The scene was like this.

The trailor was right across the divider leaving only one lane open on either side of the ring road. The front of the trailor was planted into the rear-right of a white scorpio. No noticeable damage on the rear of the scorpio. The volvo was parked on the left as you mentioned and I am not sure how it figured into the scorpio-truck equation. I dont know about it hanging percariously over the ditch because while we were stuck in the jam behind the accident scene, my wife was telling me, "they are moving a volvo slowly to the side, so maybe that hit something." Probably they moved it to the side so as to not block the road.

I have tried to represent the situation in the sketch above. The trailor is the dull green one cutting across the divider. The parallel lines in the center is the divider. The orange one is the scorpio. The volvo is lying on the other side. The sides are the service 'dirt' roads.

Now, one thing that I noticed was that the trailer's front axle was broken and the cabin was almost on the road. Also, I am not really sure but I dont remember there being a gap in the median at that point. At first glance it looked to me like that trailer might have tried to avoid something and broke through the newly raised divider - This is corroborated by the fact that the axle of the truck was on the road. Do you have any pics of the truck or the scorpio from the scene? The trailer was leaking oil/fuel from the joint area - I could see the road completely wet near the divider and I thought it was blood initially. Only when I passed the scene I realised there were no causalities. Such a damage couldnt have possibly happened unless the truck had a contact with the divider.

I didnt want to take any photos as there was already a pile up happening and I didnt want to occupy the one car passage that was opened up by waiting there and taking photos. So, if someone passed there at a later stage and/or has a better account of what happened, then could you please let us know. And yes, I too opened TOI first thing in the morning and couldnt locate any story on this. Totally disappointed.

Last edited by herculesksp : 5th September 2007 at 22:26.
Old 5th September 2007, 22:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wow - good photos !!

Good explanation @ hercules !!
Old 5th September 2007, 23:50   #21
BANNED

Nice photos. Nice sketch.
We need somebody to put these together
Old 6th September 2007, 00:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

If the truck hit the scorpio? what hit the bus? The scorpio? Likely not, the dent on the bus is actually much higher.

Anyway, looks like the stickering on the windows prevented the glass from shattering inside.

The Butyre must have gotten dislodged after hitting the drain.

Anyway, this was a volvo low-floor, but a Tata or an AL bus could have actually turned on its side.
Old 6th September 2007, 01:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

If this isn't the scoop of the bengaluru today, what is ?? with such detailed pictures & reporting, no wonder your boss is not just complaining of cyberslacking, but of trafficslacking as well. Better decide which profession you want benny boy, because your boss just got jealous. keep up the good work though (from T-BHP side).
Old 6th September 2007, 01:25   #24
BHPian

great coverage BEN, good pics. proud that this all tamasha been covered by a TBHPian not by TOI ........ concerned AUTOMOBILE freaks of bangalore.....

man that really hurts, such a nice piece of machinery being dragged along .
Old 6th September 2007, 09:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
If the truck hit the scorpio? what hit the bus? The scorpio? Likely not, the dent on the bus is actually much higher.
Exactly... I just cant put things together from the scene. My observations are as follows.

1) The Volvo should have scrapped the truck and not the scorpio. Thats because the scratches were huge and tall and the scorpio wouldnt have reached there unless it was flying.
2) The Scorpio had no noticeable damage at the left and the rear, so it couldnt have anyway scraped the volvo.
3) The front-left of the truck and the rear-right of scorpio were in contact. So, it looks like the scorpio was already stationary when the truck hit(touched) it. Obviously the contact was soft - a) as there was not much damage on the scoprio, b) the scorpio would have been thrown away and not resting alongside the truck.

My impression was that the truck collided with the volvo and threw it to the side. The scorpio which was behind the volvo saw this and braked hard. Finally as it came to a rest, the truck hit it from behind. This can be the only possible explanation for the fiasco.

Also, I saw the site today morning while coming to office. There is no gap in the median at the spot or anywhere around for a distance of at least 1km on either side. Also the height of the divider is at least 1 feet (minimum) and I dont think the truck driver was that stupid to attempt a U-turn over the divider. The funny thing was that I couldnt notice too much damage on the divider. Only a couple of stones were broken. I would have expected much more damage than that. Of course we will never know what happened till we get an eyewitness account of that incident. Till then we can only debate.
Old 6th September 2007, 09:21   #26
Team-BHP Support

herculesksp, thanx for pouring in with whatever information you had. Like i mentioned, my data/info was mainly from some of the people standing there, and there was no way i could gather info from the cops at the scene, who seemed to be having a ball of a time anyways. That explains why i may have some of the facts wrong.

Like i mentioned, when i reached the scene, there was no truck or trailer in sight, and no Scorpio either, which may have been removed from there to prevent any unwanted pilferage, as well as prevent the road from being blocked further.

I got back from office about 5:30PM, and thats when my bro told me the news, and since it involved a Volvo, i was interested. I left the place at about 7:15PM, and at that time one wheel of the bus was lying in the drain (I saw it happen), owing to errors in the way in which the concerned authorities were trying to get the bus onto the service road.

Earlier, the bus doors were open, and it was like a mini tourist spot with all sorts of people having a walk inside, some admiring, some laughing and so on. The bus driver seemed to be quite normal, despite what had happened. I have a pic of his, although a profile shot, and not all that clear.

P.S. : Nice pictorial depiction, herculeskp.

@John, i came early to office to make up for time lost typing out all this yesterday.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks