Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2004, 17:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

hi guys

well abt 10 am today morning,one of your trusted steeds was being taken to the garage, after lying in rst for over 4 months in our home .
he was our first truck a 1994(??) *a yellow dcm toyota dyna,nicked named 8844,
after running faithfully for over 2.21 lacs kms carrying heavy power cables,it needed a well desevered set of new clothes (ie a new body and some new spares.)
before it left to the garage it had to drop few stuff over at our sofa guy,so i though why not take it for a spin!?!

the track:all around the kbr park circle, strating from the cancer hosp road

was hoping no police guys are on the roads coz in hyd they are seizing the vehicles if you dont posses a license

intial impression: the truck started at one crank even after all these months,the gear box was pretty smooth, but the ratios( 1 was down,2 up,3 down, reverse was up) were opp to what we have in our cars.clutch was lighter than my safari's!!

didnt have any prob reversing it,even though it didnt have a rear view mirror and one sideview mirror was broken.
seating postion was very comfy.brakes were very powerful
tyres were a mixture of nearly new ceat's(front) and mrf sandgrips(back)

audio equip:"poineer"50X4 deck!with 200 watts"poineer" spks belting out" heyyy macarena"!!!!!!
modifcations: the horn has an extra buttonlike in normal trucks
driving impression: the truck is pretty slow in 1st,change to second and it's a diff machine altoghter, literallyjumped when ipressed tha accelerator,for a 2lac plus km engine(3000cc,inline four), it was really smooth!pretty soon was chugging along at 70 in third gear,

best time i had was at the steep/deep turn near cancer hosp(for hyd guys) took it at 70 with the tyres squealing a bit, my driver(mr"meesalu" krishna, with us for 21 years!!! started out as a cleaner for our company, now isthe personal driver for me and my sis) got shit scared(he nearly fell out of the window) and gave me a nice scolding!

after that maintained a speed of 50 to 60, on an open stretched tried to touch 100, but couldnt as suddenly a lancer came out of no where,hit the brakes suddenly(very powerfull!) driver again fell flat on the front mirror! scolding no 2!

over all it was great fun and easy to drive due to less amount of traffic, but had diffculty turn around a round about ( near tdp office) due to the hard steering,it seems that generally it's easy to turn, but due to it remaining idle for 4 months, the steering has become hard.

one nice thing was alll cars would give way,:an black accord
a brand new black c class, 4 sumos and two lancers in my list,(probably coz i was drivng it like an maniac!!!)

a negative thing was lack of rear view,due to the absence of the rearview and sideview mirrors

overall was great fun, would suggest u guys to try it out some time!

finally well bid adieu to 8844,as it left for the garage.so what do u guys think?? any questions?

hope you guys liked then, will try to give driving impression of a forklift and a crane if poss in the future!

thx
aaditya

Old 25th September 2004, 18:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

Now that's a test drive with a difference!
The smoothness of the clutch and gears even in a truck just shows how advanced Japanese technology is. Why is the truck slow in first gear? Is it used as a "crawler"?
Anyway, dreat driving impression.
P. S. Next time you plan to do such a thing, please take Stratos along with you. He's the biggest fan of heavy vehicles I've come across in India.
Old 25th September 2004, 18:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice review of the truck.
Well, abt the first gear, in heavy vehicles, i heard from a few drivers that first gear is usually used just to move the vehicle from a standstill or used only for steep inclines.
And clutch, for a heavy vehicle is a device to move the vehicle from standstill, after that its just a dead pedal alternative!! I've never seen a bus or truck driver actually using clutch for upshifts above 2nd gear!!

Old 26th September 2004, 01:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

sure, next time stratos when u drop in to hyd,buzz me

asked my driver abt the crawling thing in first gear,he said the vehicle carries heavy loads that why

it seems our dcm is not the regular one,it's an extended body version
Old 26th September 2004, 02:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Aadix , a review with a difference, but really exiting.
Now when do we expect a review for a VOlvo truck from u.
I have seen in Volvo buses , the max rpm on the dials is 3000 rpm and the idle speed is 500 rpm , and the bus zooms to 100 at abt 2000 rpm
Old 26th September 2004, 02:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Great stuff aadix, i dream a lot nowadays of driving a heavy vehicle, especially those Volvo B7Rs, something about engines hanging out at the back that gets my blood rushing.
Looks like we need to get a section on 'Creature Features' if imay call it that, no offence please!
Old 26th September 2004, 16:03   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey Aadix, Awesome review. I know just what you must have felt, cos I have driven a Tata 407 for about 25 kms on the Alibaug highway. That thing was just so chuckable, and the acceleration was not bad at all.

GTO
Old 26th September 2004, 17:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

thx guys!!!
hope to keep giving impressions like these

btw, tried to bribe a volvo guy to give me the wheel for 5 mins while returnign from banglore couple of months back, that guy driving did his degree and was fully educated and politlety replied back to me in english" no sir, it's against the rules of our company"
was glad to hear that, and decided to stick to that transport service people
Old 27th September 2004, 01:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey!! Awesome Review addix!! I had tried my hand on a Eicher 10.60 i guess... it had come to deliver floor tiles at my residence. These vehicles are awesome!! Btw wats the bhp of that DCM???
Old 27th September 2004, 13:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

hi stratos, as soon as it comes back, will check the rc book and tell u the bhp,

pd:will the rc book have the bhp?? if not where can i check it?
Old 27th September 2004, 13:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

i know its old.. but if uhave the manual of the truck.. u might probably get the brake horse power!
Old 28th September 2004, 12:41   #12
BHPian

Hey Aadix, thats a cool review dude!
even i tried to get behind a Volvo once but didnt work. Some day i am going to do it for sure. I am trying to find someone who owns a volvo fleet.
-Chaxy
Old 28th September 2004, 13:17   #13
BHPian

hey stratos
i cud dig out some specs for dyna from the famous search engine google..
heres the link
http://www.mhhe.com/busines....e04.doc
from what i understand is for a 3.6 litre engine it generates around 94HP..
cheers
Old 28th September 2004, 15:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Aadix...That was a very cool review. Enjoyed reading it.
Old 30th September 2004, 00:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

thx bud, maybe after i come back,lets try to have a meet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks