Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 15:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA Winger Test Drive (Edit: And buyer queries)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Overall, its a great effort by Tata but needs to be bettered towards a greater perfection.
Great effort by Tata?

Winger is a Renault Trafic Mark-I panel van that was phased out by Renault in the year 2000 after nearly two decades of manufacture. Tata got the dies and fixtures cheap, so brought it to India, just like dubious manufacturers like Hindustan Motors and Premier Automobiles used to do in the olden days. Tata's contribution to the Winger is limited to the Sumo TCIC engine and transmission. It is rather shameful for a company of Tata Motors' stature to dump hand-me-down products on Indians like this.
Old 17th October 2011, 21:42   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Great effort by Tata?

Winger is a Renault Trafic Mark-I panel van that was phased out by Renault in the year 2000 after nearly two decades of manufacture. Tata got the dies and fixtures cheap, so brought it to India, just like dubious manufacturers like Hindustan Motors and Premier Automobiles used to do in the olden days. Tata's contribution to the Winger is limited to the Sumo TCIC engine and transmission. It is rather shameful for a company of Tata Motors' stature to dump hand-me-down products on Indians like this.
I thought winger is nothing but a Renault Traffic shell on a Tata 407. It is outdated, but is better than the latest edition "Dost" and comparable product from Mahindra. TM able to source the dies cheaply and hence the development cost was less and the vehicle is priced cheaper. I think we should thank TM for this effort. Hopefully the new small CV platform under development at TM will eventually replace this.
Old 18th October 2011, 11:25   #63
BHPian

Hi All ,

Had my experience with a Winger for 3 days. My observations were that, firstly it surprises with the performance it has, with the regular Sumo engine, it managed to do 140 kmph on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. The ride quality in all the seats are good. I was skeptical on sitting on the last seat as it was above the rear wheel well. The ride was again good. No being thrown around.
I think it has maintenance issues being a Tata product. Apart from that, all in all a great vehicle.
Like the front seats and console too, gives a feeling of a bigger more powerful vehicle.
I also think it gives a good benefit to the tour operators as it costs less than the Innova but they charge close to Rs. 14/km compared to Rs. 10 of the Innova.
Old 18th October 2011, 12:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

I was having a mind to go for a bigger car for family. Confusion is either used Scorpio/Xylo or new Winger or Venture.Seems both winger and Venture are not bad in that category of my need. Can any one suggest me to look for what for a family of 8 to 10 people family monthly once long tour.
Old 18th October 2011, 15:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I thought winger is nothing but a Renault Traffic shell on a Tata 407.
There's no connection between the two. Winger has monocoque body shell whereas 407 is out-and-out a ladder frame based load carrier.

Quote:
TM able to source the dies cheaply and hence the development cost was less and the vehicle is priced cheaper. I think we should thank TM for this effort.
  1. When you've been making automobiles for well over half a century;
  2. when you are India's largest auto company;
  3. when you possess India's biggest R&D set up in the automotive sector;
  4. when throughout your history you've prided in your indigenous R&D capabilities;
  5. when you have the capability to develop a vehicle like Winger on your own and have indeed developed a similar vehicle in the past, on your own (Tata Calypso);
  6. when you are the owner of iconic brands like "J" and "LR";
then, under such circumstances and in my very humble opinion,

you shouldn't be buying discarded machinery as scrap from a European manufacturer to produce its discarded model the Europeans have no use for. It's almost like buying Westerners' second hand clothes from the footpath!

After all, your aren't Hindustan Motors or Premier Auto, isn't it?

If everything is to be viewed from the standpoint of bean counters, why bother with making financially risky investments in R&D or bringing foreign origin contemporary vehicles to the country? You can restrict yourself to manufacturing vehicles the West has phased out.

Quote:
Hopefully the new small CV platform under development at TM will eventually replace this.
Which platform are you referring to? I doubt TM will replace this given the fact that our market absorbs anything that's thrown at it, what with 1986 model Suzuki Alto/Maruti 800 still in production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
I was having a mind to go for a bigger car for family. Confusion is either used Scorpio/Xylo or new Winger or Venture.Seems both winger and Venture are not bad in that category of my need. Can any one suggest me to look for what for a family of 8 to 10 people family monthly once long tour.
Winger is much bigger than Venture and hence should be less fuel efficient, although it should offer higher comfort and safety. I'd suggest you take test drives of all the vehicles on your mind. I wouldn't suggest a used Scorpio due to its cramped interiors but for your needs Xylo should be worthy of consideration. Xylo will score over Winger in terms of ground clearance and more advanced CRDI engine technology. Winger still uses Sumo's old IDI engine.
Old 18th October 2011, 16:24   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thak you Directinjection. So far I owned maximum hatchbacks and only one Bolero for a month or little more. You may be better with SUVs. So I will go for a used Xylo or Though it is noise Mahindra product it is not bad to look for a Used Bolero with in50k odo. Why used Bolero is that, the big family use in a year 3 times long journey around 1k per trip. May be 12 times or 15 week end get aways with in 250kms per trip. So for this minimum use I don't feel to go for a second car.That is the reason I look for used ones.Now you can comment on my views and assist me to finalize.
Old 18th October 2011, 17:19   #67
BANNED

Quote:
So I will go for a used Xylo or Though it is noise Mahindra product it is not bad to look for a Used Bolero with in50k odo. .
hi my friend who is also bhpian name Beejay is selling is fantastic xylo 2009 model. E6 - TN 43.
plz call him at 09487575757

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2011 at 13:08. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 18th October 2011, 22:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
  1. When you've been making automobiles for well over half a century;
  2. when you are India's largest auto company;
  3. when you possess India's biggest R&D set up in the automotive sector;
  4. when throughout your history you've prided in your indigenous R&D capabilities;
  5. when you have the capability to develop a vehicle like Winger on your own and have indeed developed a similar vehicle in the past, on your own (Tata Calypso);
  6. when you are the owner of iconic brands like "J" and "LR";
I totally agree with all your points. But please keep in mind, this was done before the JLR aquisition. Considering the amount of time TM normally takes from concept to market (Aria/World truck erc), this was a quick stop gap arrangement. at that time. TM was loosing market share to Mahindra and Tempo Traveller when Winger was introduced. But i totally agree with you, they should have introduced a replacement by now.
I was referring to these news reports as possible replacement. Not sure when it will be ready though. Automotive World - India: Tata Motors to develop new LCV platform
Old 13th November 2013, 01:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

Had an opportunity to travel in a Winger Platinum for an airport drop. I took the last seat along with my wife and sister in law and the space available was huge. The roads were generally good, but even then the ride was pretty well sorted. Unlike the last row of a Scorpio I didn't have to hold onto dear life as we went over a speed breaker.

The driver drove as if there was no tomorrow since he was running late and I could see the Winger surging ahead effortlessly in the evening traffic on the IIT powai stretch. When we all got down at the airport, we had to take two trolleys for the outsized suitcases - six in all - and five of these had been stacked up behind the last row of seats.

On the return leg the driver was much more civil and I rode shotgun. Awesome road view, large mirrors and overall a comfortable seating. The windshield does sit a bit farther than in a car and it would be a pain to try to wipe it clean while driving.

The AC did a superb job and I got severe cold to prove it. Overall an impressive performance!
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 13:17   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Had an opportunity to travel in a Winger Platinum for an airport drop. I took the last seat along with my wife and sister in law and the space available was huge. The roads were generally good, but even then the ride was pretty well sorted. Unlike the last row of a Scorpio I didn't have to hold onto dear life as we went over a speed breaker.

The driver drove as if there was no tomorrow since he was running late and I could see the Winger surging ahead effortlessly in the evening traffic on the IIT powai stretch. When we all got down at the airport, we had to take two trolleys for the outsized suitcases - six in all - and five of these had been stacked up behind the last row of seats.

On the return leg the driver was much more civil and I rode shotgun. Awesome road view, large mirrors and overall a comfortable seating. The windshield does sit a bit farther than in a car and it would be a pain to try to wipe it clean while driving.

The AC did a superb job and I got severe cold to prove it. Overall an impressive performance!
Dear honeybee - THANKS! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 13th November 2013, 15:19   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Spotted a couple of new wingers in the Ambulance version getting delivered for the 108 ambulance service near the Hosur road EC tool booth. The vehicles spotted were the high roof version and fully kitted ready to start service after registeration. Couldn't take the pics unfortunately.

With this it seems like Wingers are getting more popular by the day as ambulances and is the only other fully built unit that can pose a decent competition to the best seller Traveller if we do not count other minibus options such as SML, Eicher and Globus smaller sized variants.
The Winger makes a terrific ambulance - probably the best in the country. I speak from personal experience as a patient who travelled on one - no other ambulance can transport you with minimal jerks or bumps, and at such speed.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 17:23   #72
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors roll out new Winger variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post

I'm a bit stumped to see door handles at both ends of a door! (rear sliding door). Guess one of them is a mere grab handle & have no locking mechanism?
Old 13th November 2013, 18:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

I've never travelled in a Winger, but the perception I have is that the seating is cramped, though it has as many seats as a Force Traveller, the seats are not placed sequentially

I also know of a family who could not afford an Innova and went for a Winger Platinum. Except for the image part, the vehicle ticks all boxes for them
Old 14th November 2013, 23:49   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post

I'm a bit stumped to see door handles at both ends of a door! (rear sliding door). Guess one of them is a mere grab handle & have no locking mechanism?
Yep. It's probably to make it easier to slide the door open or shut. Mind you, it's heavy!

The seating in the 13 seater might be odd, but methinks the platinum would probably be best suited for a big family.
Old 27th December 2013, 11:39   #75
Senior - BHPian

IAB have uploaded the pics of next gen Tata Winger caught testing in Pune. Here are the pics:

TATA Winger Test Drive (Edit: And buyer queries)-nextgenerationtatawingerspied1024x558.jpg

TATA Winger Test Drive (Edit: And buyer queries)-nextgenerationtatawingerspiedside.jpg

& the link to IAB article:

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/12/n...r-spied-110442
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks