Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2008, 15:28   #1
BHPian

Nanos for Taxis?

The general secretary of the Mumbai taximens Union has just announced that he will be writing a letter to Tata Motors requesting them to sell a minimum of 5000 nanos a year to rthem.This is intended to replace Mumbai's aging fleet of Taxi's.
Old 21st January 2008, 17:15   #2
BHPian

I hope they do this in Kolkata too. I am sick of avoiding these amby taxi's with their metal bumpers feasting on my cars every now and then !
Old 21st January 2008, 17:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Will these NANOs be as durable as say an Ambassador taxi ?
Old 21st January 2008, 17:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

well ! That was sooner or later to happen anyways and i initially thought indicas will be replaced which might still be an option for companies but fiats going off road from mumbai...hmm thats a change..a slow and silent revolution i suppose.
Old 21st January 2008, 17:51   #5
BHPian

Nanos can replace autos but may not replace Ambys!

How do you fit the luggage in it during trip to station/airport etc??
Old 21st January 2008, 17:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Let's do some numbers.
If not nano, they need xetas/wagonR/santro/esteem- minimum 4L.
nano cost = 1.5L with CNG.
2.5L savings. 12% interest pe 30k annually. plus cheaper running costs
so easily 1-1.5rs/km can be given discount to us.

Something tells me the wonderful gent must've forgotten this oh-so-trivial detail. eh?
Old 21st January 2008, 18:04   #7
BHPian

Mods, how many such new threads on Nano will be allowed? I am asking in the background of my poll "Would you buy the Nano" was deleted with a comment "There are several other existing threads to discuss this topic"!
Old 21st January 2008, 18:19   #8
BHPian

We definitely need a replacement for autos, preferably and electric powered vehicle since auto don't have to travel far or fast, perfect you would thin for a electric vehicle. But whether Nano is the answer is debatable. Perhaps Bajaj should show some real innovation here or maybe Tata can modify the ace and put in an electric motor.

Like others have mentioned taxis need luggage room, so Nano is not going to make the cut there.
Old 21st January 2008, 18:26   #9
Team-BHP Support

NANOs should replace AUTOs! Anytime better than the Auto which seems capable of moving in all directions other than vertical!

Don't think nano's can serve as regular taxis. Atleast in most places, people hire taxis from purposes other than city run (airport run, long- distance trips, marriages etc)
Old 21st January 2008, 18:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yea ! thats a valid point crazydriver and to me Nanos will be mostly if not totally replace indicas (read as indicabs) mostly in companies as for the price and the speed too.

But replacing taxis, i dont understand where will the luggage go...hehehhe again since its a taxi ,everything will go on roof for sure
Old 21st January 2008, 18:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
How do you fit the luggage in it during trip to station/airport etc??
On the roof!

The auto-wallahs of Delhi have also shown keen interest in the Nano. Its more or less the same size. Will be much cheaper to buy (an auto in delhi costs them more than 2.5L), cheaper to run (most likely the diesel should fit their bill, although I don't know where will they fit a cng tank) and will be much safer.
Old 21st January 2008, 18:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Let me tell you about a conversation with an auto driver on the Nano.
I was on the way to the auto expo and instead of looking for a parking and getting stuck in jams, decided to just take an auto instead. Casually asked this guy if he has seen the expo and this guy says he has . On asking him his views on the Nano, he said that the auto costs more than 3 and a half lakhs (approx) with a loong waiting time so ppl like him have to take them on rent for about rs 250 for half day.An auto is not very comfortable as one is exposed to the weather as well as pollution.He was of the opinion that if Nano is available as a taxi it will be great for the commuters as well as them as it should be affordable,safer,comfortable,less polluting and more economical.

I tend to agree to this point of view.
Old 21st January 2008, 18:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nano is a four seater right? Autos in Calcutta don't ply by the meter. They have specific routes and fares. And they take 5 passengers per trip. I don't think we have seen the end of autos here.
Old 21st January 2008, 19:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Will these NANOs be as durable as say an Ambassador taxi ?
This might be the medicine they need to make them Taxi drivers drive sensibly.
Old 21st January 2008, 22:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Its about time that the Nano replaces the auto-rickshaw. But seeing Bajaj's display of their concept car, they are very keen on being a competitor to the Nano. I don't think they will let go of their monopoly in the auto rickshaw market. Who knows, they might even DTS-i-fy or DTS-Fi-fy the auto . Bajaj Auto RE DTS-i .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks