Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2008, 17:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors and its success is a slap to everybody who underestimates Indian talent. I still remember the reactions (negative ones), when Tata Motors announced the launch of Tata Indica back in 98-99. It was nice to make fun of them all when they bought one. It is great to see Tata move the whole nation commercially with heavy vehicles and personally with their cars. Spreads a feeling of pride aswell.

Last edited by Stratos : 25th January 2008 at 17:09.
Old 25th January 2008, 21:06   #17
Team-BHP Support

Actually Tata's story begins 10 years before the year where this thread takes it up from. Tata Motors was started around 1944 or so. To manufacture railway engines (locomotives) during the world war II. Then they were TELCO (Tata Engineering and Locomotive Co.). So from those humongous rail engines to the current day Nanos... and then some chick LR and Jags (if things go right). You have come a long way TaMo.
Old 25th January 2008, 22:08   #18
BHPian

Nice pics

When was Sierra launched? I feel that Sierra is one of the best looking vehicles that was launched in India.
Old 25th January 2008, 23:10   #19
BHPian

Original Source Of All Pictures

GUYS, THIS IS THE ORIGINAL SOURCE.....

Tata Motors : 50 Years

MODS: GOING BY THE RULES PLEASE ATTACH THIS IN THE FIRST POST.

You can find much more interesting info in the above link!
Old 25th January 2008, 23:23   #20
BHPian

A COLLECTION OF ALL TATA INDICA AND TATA INDIGO TV ADS AIRED FROM 1998 TILL DATE (not in chronological order, though)

CLICK HERE

If the above link, doesn't work, click below
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Anybody here has the link to the very original Tata Sumo TV Ad? The ad in which a black Tata Sumo pulls a set of trailers on a hilly road.

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 25th January 2008 at 23:29.
Old 26th January 2008, 00:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wow..amazing Pics,makes me very proud and feels good that an Indian company had made its mark in the world of Automotive Industry.

Wish all TBHPians HAPPY REPUBLIC DAY...."Jai Hind"

Ramie

Last edited by ramie2400 : 26th January 2008 at 00:59.
Old 26th January 2008, 10:01   #22
BANNED

That is simply great collection!!!

And somewhere around or before the launch of the Indica, Tatas used to assemble Mercedes cars. I recall one of the then top execs of Merc remarking that Tatas have learnt a lot (unlike other Indian companies) from the JV. The Indicas used to be painted in the same shop as Mercs then sold in India.
Old 27th January 2008, 19:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
That is simply great collection!!!

And somewhere around or before the launch of the Indica, Tatas used to assemble Mercedes cars. I recall one of the then top execs of Merc remarking that Tatas have learnt a lot (unlike other Indian companies) from the JV. The Indicas used to be painted in the same shop as Mercs then sold in India.
Hey team-bhpians,

Just grab the Jan21 issue of BusinessWorld. awesome description of how the NANO was conceived thanks to the thought process and the hard work put in by RN Tata and his engineers
Old 28th January 2008, 08:29   #24
BHPian

I've always been a big fan of Tata and their vehicles. As a kid, when JRD Tata died in 1993 I had written an article about him in my school magazine which was unprecedentedly well received by almost everyone.

Also when they had the Indica with the 1.4L 75bhp Gasoline powerplant, I was greatly impressed as it was the most powerful and torqueist engine in its class.
I could imagine an Indian version of Jeremy Clarkson going sideways shouting POWERRRRR with that car, since most of its competitors had at least 10 less horses although they were also lighter.

And now the Nano, which stole the show everywhere in the world. Well done Tata. I've always been a fan of their humble yet reliable engineering.
Old 28th January 2008, 16:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Amazing Pictures and good news about TATA come professional way day by day showing very good improvement, its time for them to stablize the lines make them as refine as possible.

With Fiat's support I am sure soon TATA can achieve the spot of number 1 car makers in India.

All the best TATA

Ravi.
Old 25th March 2008, 19:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
With Fiat's support I am sure soon TATA can achieve the spot of number 1 car makers in India.
They sure can but the problem is with the A.S.S. which they need to improve and get more service stations for the Fiat.

AK
Old 25th March 2008, 21:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Tata's next launchs:

A three wheeler goods carrier and then a two wheeler luggege carrier (Pizza guys are waiting for years)
Old 19th March 2009, 17:34   #28
BANNED

And Nano drives out of factory in 2009 !!!
Pictures here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-factory.html
Old 19th March 2009, 18:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Awesome journey.
Way to go TATA..
Next achievement should be Tata Prima - the C segment sedan which is missing from Tata and the Jaguar/rover in India.

Last edited by harry10 : 19th March 2009 at 18:21.
Old 19th March 2009, 18:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post

Tata launched its first Mercedes Benz diesel truck, Telco.

India's first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, walks through the apprentice shop at Jamshedpur.

The owner of the first Mercedes Benz diesel truck, Sardar Kartar singh is presented with the key of the 1,00,000th truck.

Employees cheer as the first Tata branded truck rolls out, ending the collaboration with Daimler Benz, Germany.

Tata manufactures its first commercial vehicle at its plant in Pune.

Tata launches its first light commercial vehicle from Telco, the Tata 407.

Tata Estate, Telco's second passenger vehicle launched by JRD Tata and Ratan Tata.

Tata Motors released its multi-utility car, Tata Sumo in the year 1994. After that, there was no stopping the car manufacturing unit.

Ratan Tata drives the first Tata Indica off the assembly line.

Tata Motors produced an SUV, Tata Safari. It was the first SUV to be designed, developed and manufactured entirely in India.

Tata introduced India's most competitive indigenous sedan, the Indigo.

Tata Engineering formally changes to Tata Motors.

Tata Motors acquires Daewoo Commercial Vehicle Company, South Korea. The first range of Tata Novus vehicles from Tata Daewoo is launched soon after.

Tata Motors starts its globalisation drive and launches the Tata Indica in South Africa.

Tata Motors launched the most-awaited car of the year, its one-lakh car called Nano, at the 9th Auto Expo.

Note: Source: Tata Motors : 50 Years. Thanks to salilpawar1
Super Stuff! Really nice to see how Tata has grown through the years. Notably missing are the JLR acquisition and the JV in Spain. It signaled a phase where Tata moved from an Indian company to one with multinational aspirations.

Most Viewed