Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2005, 20:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes Trucks to be launched soon

Hi all,

just got this info from a few friends of mine who work in Hinjewadi(pune) that they have seen the test runs of Merc trucks in that area, the trucks are supposed to be heavy duty & the best feature is supposed to be a mechanism which will allow the trucks to change lanes in case of traffic jams by allowing them to turn all the tyres in 90 degrees

Also they are supposed to have self infalatable & deflatable tyres wid the control to do so wid the driver

lets c when they get launched.

p.s. Since ARAI is in pune we do get lotsa sneak previews of things to come
Old 18th January 2005, 21:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

They are to launch the Actros very soon. Its won the Truck of the Year award for a couple of years now.
Old 18th January 2005, 22:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

90 degrees turning?? WOW!!!
Old 18th January 2005, 22:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Finally, some real competition for the Volvos, a notch higher it seems. I really hope Mercedes has a range of buses they can launch, would love to see 'em take on each other on my next Bangalore run.
Old 18th January 2005, 22:39   #5
BHPian

Its really surprising that Mercedes gave Volvo such a H-U-G-E first mover advantage into the commercial vehicles market. More so, because Daimler already had a strong and expanding base in India.

But then, Mercedes probably left the dirty work to Volvo i.e. to convince the stubborn and generally uneducated truck operators of benefits associated with such superior trucks.

GTO
GTO - Touring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2005, 14:49   #6
BHPian

It is true. Ive seen these trucks doing test runs in the pune factory. They are pretty fast. The guy was really ripping and slamming the brakes adn turning hard. The truck was really gripping the road. They supposed to have ABS and ESP also as the tyres were patched with white tape so that the can see the tyres lock and unlock during hard braking./
Old 20th January 2005, 16:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thats a good news, now Volvo will have really tough compitition.
Old 20th January 2005, 19:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Volvo ae in for a tough competition...... infact i think buyers would prefer the "three-pointed-star" to the Volvo.. Those features sound amazing!
Old 22nd January 2005, 20:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Finally Mercedes have launched it.I read this in the Economic Times sometime during November.Its gonna be a tough going for the Volvos now.And it surely sounds impressive.Any pics??

P.s : Does`nt this post belong to the Indian Car Scene.Mods!!

X
Old 22nd January 2005, 21:05   #10
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

i doubt Volvo will have serious competition. Mercedes trucks are definitely gonna be very expensive. Also people are under the impression that a Mercedes is a Mercedes and its gonna cost a bomb to maintain. Where buses are concerned , i guess it'll be a tough competition for Volvo. Also any updates on MAN. I guess they too have entered the truck segment.
Old 23rd January 2005, 01:22   #11
BHPian

hey ppl saw a merc fier engine at cst today in da mornin din have a good look at it unfortunately
Old 23rd January 2005, 11:29   #12
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

that Merc fire engine's always parked at the Cuffe Parade fire station.
Old 23rd January 2005, 12:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
i doubt Volvo will have serious competition. Mercedes trucks are definitely gonna be very expensive. Also people are under the impression that a Mercedes is a Mercedes and its gonna cost a bomb to maintain.
True indeed.But there are these few people who prefer to overlook the cash factor for class.

X
Old 23rd January 2005, 14:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
i doubt Volvo will have serious competition. Mercedes trucks are definitely gonna be very expensive. Also people are under the impression that a Mercedes is a Mercedes and its gonna cost a bomb to maintain. Where buses are concerned , i guess it'll be a tough competition for Volvo. Also any updates on MAN. I guess they too have entered the truck segment.
MAN have colaborated with with Bajaj Tempo to manufacture their trucks here, if iam correct.
Old 23rd January 2005, 23:47   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring
But then, Mercedes probably left the dirty work to Volvo i.e. to convince the stubborn and generally uneducated truck operators of benefits associated with such superior trucks.
Hey GTO,

Very good point. If mercedes was the first to jump into the market, they would have found it quite difficult to get over the luxurious image that they have in the indian market, and so mercedes trucks to transport goods would be a joke!

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks