Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2008, 15:46   #16
Team-BHP Support

Roots Vibrosonics.
My horns are loud and very well tuned.

I have generally not had to wait beyond 2 short beeps.

But as I wrote in my first post, its just an ideal scenario.

Some times I also try and look at what the guy is doing and am especially aware of the front tires line of movement.
Old 14th April 2008, 16:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Roots Vibrosonics.
My horns are loud and very well tuned.

I have generally not had to wait beyond 2 short beeps.

But as I wrote in my first post, its just an ideal scenario.

Some times I also try and look at what the guy is doing and am especially aware of the front tires line of movement.
Better in addition to the tips posted by bblost (which I fully agree), it also make sense to observe the pattern of the driver - usually many just go like on rails, staying on same lane, at same speed and rarely change lanes unless forced. I guess if you are driving for a living, 12/16 hrs a day, this is the most relaxing way to drive.

IMHO, If the lorry ahead of you does not fall in this category (assume no until proven otherwise), better not to overtake without specific hand signal, even then assuming that he is simply asking you to go ahead and not checking what is ahead of both of you and confirming it is safe. That is our job, not his.
Old 14th April 2008, 19:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

With the honking that Chevy_Lover did, it should have sufficed, but there is always an exception!

For all you know, that truck driver might have had one hell of an ICE setup and might have been playing it LOUD!!!

As said always - "When on road, assume everyone else to be total idiots!". Will help better in understanding why the other person did as he did, in whatever the situation. (I hope I stick to this type of reasoning always, which is kind of very difficult!)

God save us all! :-)
Old 14th April 2008, 19:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

This may be one off case Or, the trucker might be a "chhota truck" driver as Himanshu said. But, truckers are no doubt the most disciplined lot on Indian highways. Even more disciplined than more educated pompous car owners

BTW apart from "chhota trucks", there are these earthmoving trucks carrying sand/gravel/construction material, which are REAL menace on highways. They operate mostly in cities or nearby areas and are as unruly as most other city drivers. Obviously, quite dangerous due to their size!
Old 14th April 2008, 20:12   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
... what if the driver doesn't look in the mirror? You are on the expressway. The right lane is fully clear. What will you do? How long will you wait?
Patience, my dear, patience. It is better than ending up as an in-patient. If he does not look into the rear view, it simply means that he is an insane driver, and you have to maintain ever larger distance from the insane guy.
Old 14th April 2008, 20:18   #21
LLL
BHPian

Must have been 1 huge idiot truck driver.

Most of truck drivers are very disciplined and change lanes after carefully checking the mirrors and consulting with their cleaners. I have faced such situation probably only 2-3 times out of 1000's of times i have overtaken trucks.

In 1 instance saw a truck driver taking a U-turn on NH1, without caring for people coming in either direction. I was a bit far away and had ample time to stop, but other cars had to apply their brakes hard. In 1 other instance, truck driver decided to change lane while i was overtaking him from right. a huge horn and he realised i was there and waited for me to pass. but that was a hell of a scary experience.
Old 14th April 2008, 20:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

i just came back from electronic city to BTM layout in Bangalore. Though Not a truck, was more insane in a OLD Amby. Guy Nearly side swiped me and kept pushing off every other guy off the lane, I was totally Pissed and was shivering with adrenalin pumping, gave the Old Amby a run for his money with my Alto. Then it appeared he was drunk, Let off the chase and back home still irritated by his driving!!!
Old 14th April 2008, 20:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

So many times in this side; especially trucks with HR registration that normally carry sand, mud, gravel etc. My wife calls them the 'mazdoor' trucks..

I've installed a pair of Stebel Nautiluses just for this purpose, to let them know that I'm overtaking..

Quote:
I honked twice and was about to overtake the trucks. My car was just 10 or 15 feet behind the second truck. There was also a sharp right turn ahead. All of a sudden, the second truck, an Eicher, cut into the right lane without any indicator or hand signal.

It was such a narrow escape for me. I pulled alongside him and my wife and I shouted at him. His face was totally without any expression!!!

Has anyone faced a similar situation?
Old 14th April 2008, 20:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

@bblost: I do exactly the same myself bro!

@Chevy loveR: Been there myself, on a bike. And everyone anyways thinks a biker is cattle fodder on the highways Hota hai all the time. Shrug and move on.
Old 14th April 2008, 22:32   #25
rippergeo

@chevy lover- join the club.

i always assume that the vehicle in front is going to cut me off or try to put me into the median. i try and plan for that too.

honking doesnt usually help, unless you have an aftermarket horn.

Old 15th April 2008, 10:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

You bet, faced it with slight damage too.

You were lucky that you had some distance to brake, mine happenned when I was almost at the verge of overtaking with no going back.

My advise, overtake at slower speeds, you have more control, specifically when its the trucks.

Quote:
Team, I want to share an incident that happened on the Expressway.

I honked twice and was about to overtake the trucks. My car was just 10 or 15 feet behind the second truck. There was also a sharp right turn ahead. All of a sudden, the second truck, an Eicher, cut into the right lane without any indicator or hand signal. I got the shock of my life and had just about 10 feet to brake! My speedo was touching 130!!!

I pumped my brake real hard and somehow managed to slow down. It was a miracle that I did not bang into that truck! Luckily I did not skid off the road! I blasted my horn at that idiot for a full minute!! Only then he noticed my car and moved back to the middle lane!!!

It was such a narrow escape for me. I pulled alongside him and my wife and I shouted at him. His face was totally without any expression!!!

Has anyone faced a similar situation?

Last edited by dadu : 15th April 2008 at 10:36.
Old 15th April 2008, 10:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You bet, faced it with slight damage too.

You were lucky that you had some distance to brake, mine happenned when I was almost at the verge of overtaking with no going back.

My advise, overtake at slower speeds, you have more control, specifically when its the trucks.
@ Dadu, yes, I was very lucky to escape. In my case the truck was also speeding at 80 plus. So I had to maintain my speed. Thanks for your advice. I will think 10 times before I overtake a stupid truck walla!!!
Old 15th April 2008, 10:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

You got away, lucky you. A very good friend of mine had a similar experience, and hit the truck. Power steering fluid and left headlight and bumper were damaged. The truck driver drove away.
Old 15th April 2008, 10:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You got away, lucky you. A very good friend of mine had a similar experience, and hit the truck. Power steering fluid and left headlight and bumper were damaged. The truck driver drove away.
That is sooo very sad! Couldn't your friend get the truck's reg. number? What about insurance claim? Will these damages be covered? Please don't mind my asking you this.
Old 15th April 2008, 11:00   #30
Team-BHP Support

The truck had an unreadable number plate hidden behind the grill. So he claimed insurance and let it go. Can't do much about such things.

Most Viewed