Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2008, 16:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse

There happen to be no thread dedicated to above, so decided to start one. I feel they also play an important role in Automotive World. Without them creating roads/highways and stuff where will we run our souped up skodas or swift.

Here I start with a very quirky farm vehicle that visited our city yesterday. I decided to follow him for pix and infos. As I have never seen such a small vehicle with so much payload capacity.

The Vehicle
Dunno the make or who makes it . But it use mitshubishi single cylinder DI diesel.
One Cylinder NA, i guess its rated at about 10hp
Handle start.
3 forward and 1 reverse gear.
Belt driven.
ALso has a PTO
6.00/12 mrf shakti.
Trailer is custom built and rides on Ceat 7.00/16.

And yeah! the lucky owner is Hemraj Singh from Marwar, Pali. He drives around selling his produce, this time A1 quality Garlic. @ Rs.15-30/kg.
Attached Thumbnails
Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0083-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0084-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0085-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0086-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0088-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0089-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0090-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0091-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0093-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0094-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0095-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0096-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0097-medium.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-dscn0098-medium.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 22nd April 2008, 17:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

We used to call it "Tiller". My grandpa had one in addition to the tractor. use it to till the paddy fields which were too small for a tractor.
Old 22nd April 2008, 17:17   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

bang on - this is a typical tiller - used especially for ploughing fields too small for tractors- quite a common sight in rural karnataka
surprisingly, though small and fairly light, it is not too easy to handle inside a paddy field - if you are not used to it that is - it can tend to go all over the place and you with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
We used to call it "Tiller". My grandpa had one in addition to the tractor. use it to till the paddy fields which were too small for a tractor.
Old 22nd April 2008, 21:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

It,s called a Power Tiller and the one in the pic is made By 'Mistubhi Shakti' there are other companies thou in the market.
There is a smaller [read cheaper ] model with 6BHP engine with no Light. and than there is a Mini tractor with a three cylinder motor it has four wheels like a tractor.
Old 22nd April 2008, 21:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is a tiller and is usually used to plough fields with slush as the tractor tends to be a pain repairing it after it has done some puddle work. Still sold in numbers in paddy growing areas. Got one at home without the trailor where you have to walk alongside it. It is really noisy an slow and can give a guy with a faint heart a really bad time.
Old 23rd April 2008, 01:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very common. seen similar versions back in iit delhi since the late 90s.
Old 23rd April 2008, 08:55   #7
BHPian

Nice pics! yes, its a tiller. Dont see them very often nowadays though. Quite nostalgic in a way.

Kubota was one brand I used to associate with tillers.
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:42   #8
BHPian

In Hyderabad these tillers with trailers were used to transport goods locally. I drove one couple of times, its such a pain to maneuver.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd April 2008 at 12:16. Reason: Unnecessary language.
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:29   #9
BHPian

Yes its a tiller, have nostalgic experiences of this. My mothers distant cousin had one somewhere in Shimoga district. I still remember it would start with a hand driven shaft which required a lot of effort. Every 4pm he would drive down to the market and I would be up & ready to have a ride.
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its the hand tiller and initially was imported by the govt and given to farmers on subsidy.

While ploughing the fields, you have to walk behind it while controlling it.

Last edited by dadu : 23rd April 2008 at 11:41.
Old 23rd April 2008, 14:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

My contribution.
Myself ploughing our paddy fields.Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-canon-030.jpg

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-canon-043.jpg
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:48   #12
BHPian

My "mamaji" used to own one. I have driven it around a bit and also had it out of control and get the horizontal chrome handle (the one in sushruta's pics) hit me in the chest.
To put it into drive, you have to press the handle down and put it into gear.
The 2 levers on the handles act like "clutches". If you have to turn right, you press the right lever and to turn left you press the left lever. This disengages the respective wheel and turning the tiller becomes easier. Its kind of an assist. The manufacturer used to be Mitsubishi as mentioned earlier. The upright lever on the left side, which @sushruta is holding, is used to disengage the gears.
So to put it into motion, you engage the first gear, and move the lever forward. Its got amazing torque and moves forward almost with a jerk. To stop, you have to pull back the lever.
Its a nice and practical machine for small farmers and I have very nostalgic memories about it.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 12th October 2008, 19:36   #13
Rai
BANNED

Kubota Tiller

Hi,
Looking at the Tiller Link Brought my Memories back. Like 'Sushruta', I too used to plough our Paddy Fields in our 1970 Model Kubota Tiller (and Mitsubishi Shatki Tiller) which 'SirAlec' has given info about above.
Though we have discontinued Paddy Cultivation from 1990 onwards, we are still left with One tiller. (Sold off the other Kubota to another farmer and Mitsubishi to Stone Cutter)
Below I have given some photgraphs of our remaining Kubota tiller which is in dis-used status (but I guess it is in Working Condition). Last 2 years we used this tiller to draw water from Deep Borewell by running a Compressor and that stopped from this year, since we got Electrical Connection to our village at last.

Currently there are many Tiller Manufactures in India and their Websites are as follows.

KAMCO (I guess, Formerly they used to sell Kubota Tillers)
::** VST TILLERS TRACTORS LTD ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************** (Mitsubishi type tillers whose Photos are there above by SirAlec & Sushrutha.
Welcome GANGA MOTORS
Greaves Cotton

I guess there are other tillers also in India such as Shifang (Chinese), Krishi etc etc.

Ragards
Rai
Attached Thumbnails
Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-kubota1.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-kubota4.jpg  

Old 12th October 2008, 19:42   #14
Rai
BANNED

Kubota Tiller - Continuation

I couldn't post all pictures in one Posting and hence here is the second Posting
Attached Thumbnails
Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-kubota2.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-kubota3.jpg  

Old 12th October 2008, 19:52   #15
Rai
BANNED

Kubota Tiller - Continution.

Here last set of Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-kubotatrailer.jpg  

Farm Vehicles & Agricultural Equipments, Off Highway Workhorse-kubotatrailor2.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks