Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2008, 02:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Peterbilt (American Truck) in India

Well this is no supercar, but its a super truck. Its one of the many imports owned by ONGC. Some of us who's a truck and 4x4 fan, its an honor just to have a glimpse of these workhorses.
ONGC in mehsana owns couple of Peterbilt and Kenworth. The shots are not clear as it was taken by a basic cam and while on the move. They were willing to stop but I was the one who was in a hurry that day. will upload in detail when i visit them in july.
Attached Thumbnails
Peterbilt (American Truck) in India-pic_0725-medium.jpg  

Peterbilt (American Truck) in India-pic_0726-medium.jpg  

Peterbilt (American Truck) in India-pic_0727-medium.jpg  

SirAlec is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2008, 03:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice. 18 wheelers are fun stuff! (not when its involved in an accident,though).
Waiting for better pics!
Old 9th May 2008, 04:44   #3
BHPian

The Trailer looks good. Waiting for the full movie now!!

Heavy vehicles sort of get me interested, partly because we had so many of them. But I will definitely wait for the better snaps that you will post.
Old 9th May 2008, 07:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

wowowowowo this sight is more pleasing for me than the sight of any supercar here

great find

thanks for posting this one sir alec waiting for morecheers:
Old 9th May 2008, 08:33   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

fantastic beast this is.
have you seen those road trains in australia?
evil things, with a slipstream like a hurricane!
there is a book available for all those out there who like trucks and lorries - the complete encyclopedia of trucks - really lovely book - bought it a few years ago
shall post details of publisher and ISBN etc on this thread once I get back home.
covers the entire history of trucks right from old ones like Bedford, Pickford, Unimog, MAN, OAF and pretty upto date with Scania, mercedes, Peterbilt, Kenworth etc etc
cheers
Old 9th May 2008, 11:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Well this is no supercar, but its a super truck. Its one of the many imports owned by ONGC. Some of us who's a truck and 4x4 fan, its an honor just to have a glimpse of these workhorses.
ONGC in mehsana owns couple of Peterbilt and Kenworth. The shots are not clear as it was taken by a basic cam and while on the move. They were willing to stop but I was the one who was in a hurry that day. will upload in detail when i visit them in july.
Lovely pics, Sir. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Waiting for better pics!
Great that someone's talking 'trucks', isn't it, Nitin? I once dreamed of becoming a trucker in the Wild West; Nat Geo or one of them channels currently airs a programme called ICE Truckers or something about these hardy guys who operate monster trucks for a couple of months in North Canada (within the Arctic Circle if I'm not mistaken) in the winter when lakes freeze over.
An ice road is built for them 'on the rocks', and they ship heavy machinery to some remote mining operation. It's a critical mission as it's the only way to get the supplies to the miner, and they have a very small death-defying window in the most harsh cold known on the planet.
True grit. Real desperadoes. Couple of them fell through the ice.
Couple of them make 70-80K USD in those 3-4 months, but there is a very real risk to life and limb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
fantastic beast this is.
have you seen those road trains in australia?
evil things, with a slipstream like a hurricane!
there is a book available for all those out there who like trucks and lorries - the complete encyclopedia of trucks - really lovely book - bought it a few years ago
shall post details of publisher and ISBN etc on this thread once I get back home.
covers the entire history of trucks right from old ones like Bedford, Pickford, Unimog, MAN, OAF and pretty upto date with Scania, mercedes, Peterbilt, Kenworth etc etc
cheers
shankar.balan: Thanks, Sir. Many names I'd long forgotten.
netchef is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2008, 12:31   #7
Jay
BHPian

Hey nice find there... Good to see such trucks here too...
Old 9th May 2008, 13:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yep sir alec they belong to ONGC and Guj govt. can be spotted regularly on outskirts of ahmedabad in chandkheda area where ONGC has a office.some trucks have grabage disposal written on them.....and driver seem to fly them rather than driving with those huge ear shattering horns....
these trucks look like kings of the road..
Old 9th May 2008, 14:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Waiting for better pics!
This is not a 18 wheeler (tractor). Its a fixed frame type, three axle that makes 10 wheels. They have some kind of pneumatic equipment bolted on it.
Old 9th May 2008, 15:03   #10
BHPian

Quite a few such Kenworth's / Peterbilt's are available with a few transporters in India. Almost all these specimens are imported used. These do good duty for the OverDimesionalCargo(ODC) Requirements(mostly with hydraulic trailers).
Old 9th May 2008, 15:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Lovely pics, Sir. Thanks.

Great that someone's talking 'trucks', isn't it, Nitin? I once dreamed of becoming a trucker in the Wild West; Nat Geo or one of them channels currently airs a programme called ICE Truckers or something about these hardy guys who operate monster trucks for a couple of months in North Canada (within the Arctic Circle if I'm not mistaken) in the winter when lakes freeze over.
An ice road is built for them 'on the rocks', and they ship heavy machinery to some remote mining operation. It's a critical mission as it's the only way to get the supplies to the miner, and they have a very small death-defying window in the most harsh cold known on the planet.
True grit. Real desperadoes. Couple of them fell through the ice.
Couple of them make 70-80K USD in those 3-4 months, but there is a very real risk to life and limb.

shankar.balan: Thanks, Sir. Many names I'd long forgotten.
Great Shots SirAlec. Thanks for sharing

The program Ice Road Truckers is on History Channel & all the supplies goes to Debeers Diamond mine which is the first mine of Debeers outside South Africa. The most experience guy named as Polar Beer in local truckers makes around 75K USD in 2 months (All info courtesy the Program )
Old 9th May 2008, 15:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

great find.. love those rear 3 LED tail lamps.. they look so awsome. they are common in the United States but very rare in India.
Old 9th May 2008, 18:55   #13
SRK
Senior - BHPian

WOW!
Never thought of seeing such Great Trucks in India.

I have seen some good Merc and Volvo Trucks They too may be imported.

Also The firebrigade station at Byculla in Mumbai Has some great Trucks. They even have a vintage model.
Old 9th May 2008, 19:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Great Shots SirAlec. Thanks for sharing

The program Ice Road Truckers is on History Channel & all the supplies goes to Debeers Diamond mine which is the first mine of Debeers outside South Africa. The most experience guy named as Polar Beer in local truckers makes around 75K USD in 2 months (All info courtesy the Program )

pankaj_sachdeva: Thank-you, Sir for straightening out that bit of info. I'm always out on a limb a bit as I tend to forget microcosms.
Yeah, DeBeers mining. Fantastic program, too. The challenge of surviving those conditions, getting the job done, and the tangential tussle between them over loads (read: monies).
Old 9th May 2008, 19:10   #15
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Is Peterbilt better just because it is American?
Left Hand Drive in India in 2008 seems sinful and criminal.

Couldn't ONGC ensure the trucks were RHD before importing?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks