Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 16:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
AC Bus Stop? That's a new one. How will that operate? I mean we need open places in the Bus Stop don't we?
As I saw on TV, there is a glass enclosure around the bustop, with split AC installed. There is a security guard to guard the AC.
Old 14th December 2008, 18:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

Security guard to guard the AC!!
This Bus stop should be something! A first for India.
Old 16th December 2008, 22:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

Does Bangalore need more Volvo buses?-pc0031400.jpg

FOR COMFORT: A commuter checks out India’s first air-conditioned bus stop, launched on Monday at Hudson Circle junction. The 25x8-ft shelter can accommodate 20 people. It is located opposite Kanteerava indoor stadium, near the Cubbon Park entrance on Kasturba Road
Old 16th December 2008, 22:39   #49
BHPian

Jus wanted add..Volvo bus drivers are one of the best in BMTC.
They stick to their lines..use indicators and use the rear view mirrors
Old 16th December 2008, 22:59   #50
BANNED

Must say i am proud to be a Bengalurian. Which other cities in India can boast of such organised and lovely fleet of buses and that too large number of Volvo's and now introducing TATA Marcopolo buses.

We certianly need more and more of them on roads. i for sure will stop my 8 yr daily car drive if they add a new route from Vidyaranyapura to Indiranagar.

Keep the great work going BMTC.
Old 17th December 2008, 10:10   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
Jus wanted add..Volvo bus drivers are one of the best in BMTC.
They stick to their lines..use indicators and use the rear view mirrors
And the rear view camera too!

But then again, they have one less control to grapple with!

The Gear Lever
Old 17th December 2008, 10:30   #52
BHPian

i would say - A/C Bus stops are total waste of money- Is it needed at this point? - this is a luxury - not necessary.

there are many other basic problems lying around the city.. cant these guys think on that?
Old 17th December 2008, 10:59   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
i would say - A/C Bus stops are total waste of money- Is it needed at this point? - this is a luxury - not necessary.

there are many other basic problems lying around the city.. cant these guys think on that?
I tend to agree with you. More so it is an insult to the (altho' now deteriorating) lovely weather of Bangalore that almost never needs an AC. More so in winter. They are just adding to the carbon footprint by running that AC!

Even with bus services, many more things are needed, like proper shelters, proper lanes and bus stop demarcations on the road.

But look at it another way. See the Airtel advert on it. I am sure BMTC/BBMP is getting a lot more than they spent in terms of advertising revenue. People will look at the bus stop just because it is AC. And that's enough to charge potential advertisers a premium! But then again, I feel it is a wasteful exercise!
Old 17th December 2008, 11:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

This is total waste of resources.

There is a generator van standing a few metres from the stop and powering this thing now. Would be good for the homeless if they can stay relatively warm during cold nights.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:05   #55
BHPian

I am not sure if this is waste of resources. Ofcourse we need to address homeless too, but if these comfortable bus shelters are going to get few cars off the road and encourage public transport, then the intent is right. It is a pilot project, lets give it some time. It can attract sponsors too. What I dont like is the capacity of just 20 people :-(
Old 17th December 2008, 12:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I am not sure if this is waste of resources. Ofcourse we need to address homeless too, but if these comfortable bus shelters are going to get few cars off the road and encourage public transport, then the intent is right. It is a pilot project, lets give it some time. It can attract sponsors too. What I dont like is the capacity of just 20 people :-(
I really doubt on that.. I don't think these A/C bus shelters will keep some cars off the road.. But as you said - we need give it some time and see what happens...
Old 17th December 2008, 14:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I really doubt on that.. I don't think these A/C bus shelters will keep some cars off the road.. But as you said - we need give it some time and see what happens...
Do you remember the new shelters these guys had put-up a year or 2 ago? In due course of time, most of them are either gone or in kinda bad shape!
Most of the commuters (bus users) would be ecstatic if a "decent" shelter, even if it is something like the old times (asbestos sheets as for the roof) is provided, wherein people are shelterd from brazing sun\rain.
Old 17th December 2008, 15:51   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Most of the commuters (bus users) would be ecstatic if a "decent" shelter, even if it is something like the old times (asbestos sheets as for the roof) is provided, wherein people are shelterd from brazing sun\rain.
There are a lot of new bus shelters in the Whitefield/Brookfields area which have very good lighting, and decent seating capacity as well. They certainly look worthy enough of a good city.

I truly appreciate the efforts which are being taken in this regard.
Old 17th December 2008, 15:59   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
There are a lot of new bus shelters in the Whitefield/Brookfields area which have very good lighting, and decent seating capacity as well. They certainly look worthy enough of a good city.

I truly appreciate the efforts which are being taken in this regard.
60% of the people waiting for the bus don't stand right near the bus shelter. They either stand 20m after the bus stop or before the bus stop.

Whom to blame.... the bus drivers or the people?
Old 17th December 2008, 18:22   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Whom to blame.... the bus drivers or the people?
Which came first? The chicken or the egg? As simple as answering that.

Most Viewed