Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 13:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Does Bangalore need more Volvo buses?

A Volvo buses cost 3 to 4 times the normal buses(atleast double...). And if Govt. can make normal buses available, there would be more commuters per hour served and cost would also be lower.

I think it is just fancy to have such volvo buses when we are running short of buses. Politicians claiming to be helping and improving the lifestyle of "Aam Aadmi" should first make sure the basic needs are taken care than the luxury.

I think for a normal people getting to the point B from Point A is more important than taking a luxury bus. I agree that Govt. is trying to provide good facilities to common people. but just look at the BMTC buses, its poor maintenance. Most of the bus are in worst condition. I think after a couple of years, this Volvo buses too will also face same situation. So, instead of investing so much Crores for getting this buses, i feel govt should spend that on normal buses.

the other +ve points here is, our Indian companies like Ashok leyland, TATA would also be benefited by this. Right?

Whats your opinion?
Old 12th May 2008, 13:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yup. Agreed to a certain extent. I would definitely prefer more buses and well maintained buses. Also new routes need to be added. Case in point, there are no buses from Airport to Koramangala via Inner Ring road. I know a whole lot of people who travel in that direction but can't use a bus as there's no route.

Volvo's can make sense in certain routes. Electronic City to Koramangala and beyond, ITPL to MG Road are some examples. People are willing to pay a premium for the luxury offered.

Its like basically saying why do we need Rajdhani/Shatabdi trains were the money for these can be better utilized for maintaining normal express/passenger trains.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore definitely needs more Volvo buses along newer routes - but more importantly needs dedicated bus lanes for BMTC buses to maximize the utility of the Volvos.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:59   #4
BHPian

I see Volvo fleet as a way to reduce traffic congestion rather than to provide entry level transport options. The idea is to make the car users switch to public transport.

These people would definitely not take the crowded buses (or even Pushpak range of buses). The volvo's provide comfortable long distance travel (though not enough routes compared to normal buses). So the targets are totally different hence it doesn't make sense to put more of the deadly BMTC buses on roads . Why not take out 10-15 cars out of the road with 1 bus? It would give space to more public transport buses and lesser chaos on the road.

OTOH, Volvo has been a choice of BMTC. But it could very well have been Tata or Ashok, even they make low floor a/c buses.
Old 12th May 2008, 14:07   #5
BHPian

What is required more than anything else is a proper system of routes and feeder services planned in such a way that a person can get to / from his place of work without too much hassle.

As for Volvo buses, I think their introduction has converted many people who would not otherwise have considered traveling by bus. And they have been in service for quite some time now without suffering any deterioration in quality due to maintenance issues etc.
Old 12th May 2008, 14:11   #6
BHPian

BMTC will never come out with new volvo buses in future, they are already running under loss with the current lot. high fare rates is the main concern were the volvos rules out from the common mans reach, lesser people use volvos so BMTC is burning there pockets in the maintenence. so i doubt they would plan for new volvos.

Last edited by praJEEP : 12th May 2008 at 14:20.
Old 12th May 2008, 14:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I think it is just fancy to have such volvo buses when we are running short of buses. Politicians claiming to be helping and improving the lifestyle of "Aam Aadmi" should first make sure the basic needs are taken care than the luxury.

I think for a normal people getting to the point B from Point A is more important than taking a luxury bus. I agree that Govt. is trying to provide good facilities to common people. but just look at the BMTC buses, its poor maintenance. Most of the bus are in worst condition. I think after a couple of years, this Volvo buses too will also face same situation. So, instead of investing so much Crores for getting this buses, i feel govt should spend that on normal buses.

the other +ve points here is, our Indian companies like Ashok leyland, TATA would also be benefited by this. Right?

Whats your opinion?
While your argument makes sense, the facts are
  • BMTC is now making huge profits and is run like a professional money making company.
  • Volvo has turned out to be BMTC's cash cow. People of Bangalore have taken to Volvo like crazy and have become so popular & comforting that BMTC had to increase the fleet & the number of routes.
  • The BMTC is not short of buses. In fact some traffic management experts have been asking them to scale down the number of buses on the road (for some selected routes)
  • When it comes to Volvo, BMTC doesn't have a choice, but to order them. The most luxury buses that the Indian companies have been making doesn't even come closer to what BMTC is getting from Volvo.
  • The accidents/ Incidents with Volvo fleet of BMTC is a tiny percentage of the other buses in their fleet.
My point is if people (who can afford the premium) are getting a better ride and the roads are safer, (& they are good looking) there is nothing wrong in BMTC going all-out and buying expensive Volvo buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sks_Biker View Post
I see Volvo fleet as a way to reduce traffic congestion rather than to provide entry level transport options. The idea is to make the car users switch to public transport.

These people would definitely not take the crowded buses (or even Pushpak range of buses). The volvo's provide comfortable long distance travel (though not enough routes compared to normal buses). So the targets are totally different hence it doesn't make sense to put more of the deadly BMTC buses on roads . Why not take out 10-15 cars out of the road with 1 bus? It would give space to more public transport buses and lesser chaos on the road.

OTOH, Volvo has been a choice of BMTC. But it could very well have been Tata or Ashok, even they make low floor a/c buses.
Very true. The increase in usage of public transport in Bangalore can definitely attributed to Volvo service.

People are getting to travel without getting touched by sweaty, smelly bodies while in the bus.

cheers:
Old 12th May 2008, 14:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
BMTC will never come out with new volvo buses in future,
Strange then, that they should order 240 new buses from Volvo. Volvo to supply 240 buses to BMTC

Quote:
they are already running under loss with the current lot.
Do you have some statistics to back that statement up? or are you just echoing someone else's sentiment?

Quote:
high fare rates is the main concern were the volvos rules out from the common mans reach,
No doubt you are correct, however, perhaps BMTC is targeting a different audience for its premium services?

Quote:
lesser people use volvos so BMTC is burning there pockets in the maintenence. so i doubt they would plan for new volvos.
I would be really interested to see some utilization figures to support your assertion that fewer people use Volvos.

Last edited by ajitkommini : 12th May 2008 at 14:40. Reason: oblig. grammar-nazi emphasis
Old 12th May 2008, 14:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
BMTC will never come out with new volvo buses in future, they are already running under loss with the current lot. high fare rates is the main concern were the volvos rules out from the common mans reach, lesser people use volvos so BMTC is burning there pockets in the maintenence. so i doubt they would plan for new volvos.
I think you got wrong information. Please refer my earlier post.

FYI:
  • Currently Volvo has a pending order of 240 buses from BMTC to be delivered within a year.
  • Volvo and BMTC are finalising a deal for opening a dedicated maintenance facility for BMTC at the BMTC premises.
All these were reported in news papers.

cheers:
Old 12th May 2008, 14:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Volvo buses - More the merrier. Hope BMTC does not make the same mistake that PMT has made -> PMT blames Tata Motors for supplying 'faulty' buses-Pune-Cities-The Times of India
Old 12th May 2008, 14:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Vayu Vajra

Saw the BMTC Vayu Vajra buses on the ORR near Hennur on Sunday. They are supposed to be the buses connecting the Bangalore International Airport to the city ??

The regular low floor city buses with additional luggage racks fitted, and less number of seats. What does BMTC expect people to do ? Stand for the 1.5hrs ride to the BIAL?

They should look at inducting the regular Volvos - those used for interstate travel - Garuda service ? for the Airport connectivity. Will seat upto 30 people with luggage accomodated in the underbelly of the bus.
Old 12th May 2008, 14:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

every Volvo that is filled with passengers = atleast 50 cars missing from the streets of bangalore. so they are welcome.. except i wish their routes are slightly altered instead of the obsession with majestic.

like someone mentioned Volvo buses are meant to reduce the number of cars on the streets and not to provide basic transportation to aam junta.
Old 12th May 2008, 15:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Strange then, that they should order 240 new buses from Volvo. Volvo to supply 240 buses to BMTC

http://www.thehindu.com/2007/04/16/stories/2007041617500600.htm

but the fact is they are under loss with volvos, check the above link.

Do you have some statistics to back that statement up? or are you just echoing someone else's sentiment?

No iam just echoing these words keeping a common man in my nind, one who earns 3 to 8k per month, and who cannot afford a two wheeler, whose daily merc is BMTC.

No doubt you are correct, however, perhaps BMTC is targeting a different audience for its premium services?

Do also take into consideration that BMTC runs its show depending on normal bmtc services not from it's premium volvo services.

I would be really interested to see some utilization figures to support your assertion that fewer people use Volvos.

If we spend a weekday morning 8 to 9am and evening 5 to 6pm in these following bus stops electronic city, bannerghattta road, hessaraghatta road and you can visualize the utilization figures through your own eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
I think you got wrong information. Please refer my earlier post.

FYI:
  • Currently Volvo has a pending order of 240 buses from BMTC to be delivered within a year.
  • Volvo and BMTC are finalising a deal for opening a dedicated maintenance facility for BMTC at the BMTC premises.
All these were reported in news papers.

cheers:

And also these were too reported in news papers

http://www.thehindu.com/2007/04/16/stories/2007041617500600.htm

Just came across a nice blog about volvo services

http://sathishk.wordpress.com/2006/04/25/bmtc-volvo-ac-bus-2/

Last edited by praJEEP : 12th May 2008 at 15:11.
Old 12th May 2008, 15:10   #14
BHPian

Bangalore definitely needs more volvo buses. If the Govt can ply these buses on time then there is nothing like commuting on one of these volvo's to work and back..
Old 12th May 2008, 15:21   #15
BANNED

I have started using the Volvo bus instead of my Bolero. Makes a lot of sense, is on time and covers distance quickly even in crowded roads. I know of 15 other colleagues who do the same. I see them everyday in my bus. Thats 15 cars reduced.

About the ticket if you want AC, nice music and a cheerful atmosphere in the bus then you better pay for it. What is one expecting, pay 10 bucks for this service?

Most Viewed