Old 26th August 2008, 17:23   #17
BHPian

Guys what about the gurkha ? I believe this one is a capable offroader
Old 26th August 2008, 21:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM440 View Post
For your comparision :
Tata TL : Used by Jungles lodges and resorts for their safaris in the tourism zone in WLS of Karnataka.
Gypsy : Extensively used by deptarments. More of an allrounder that can offroad too.
Bolero Invader: Later day interpretation of the venerable Jeep. Used by Project tiger guys and decided better in terms of servicablity and running costs.
YEah, but jammy, The jungle lodges safari does not have any hardcore offroading, just a nice route through the jungles AND they prefer the PETROL vehicles as they are SILENT and this helps in getting closer to wildlife.

One just needs a fairly good GC, maybe even an SX4 would do the trails but cannot compare to the fun of standing in the Gypsy / Mahindras and being bounced around while spotting wildlife!
Old 13th October 2009, 19:22   #19

TATA TL - Freedom

Gentlemen, I have been following various threads with regards to Off roading. Wherever there was a mention of a Tata TL, everyone seem to be turning down the option of owning this machine. I have owned a TL 4x4 for close to year now and have used it in a very rugged manner.

Though sharing my views on the vehicle should probably clear a few inhibitions for people seriously looking forward to own a 4x4 pick-up. Infact my opinion about a Xenon are not so favourable when it comes to the built quality in comparision to the TL.

- The space in the rear is cramped, but people who are used to the Swift's can live with this. In contrary the rear seat carries the advantage of no bumpy ride, as the seating is positioned right in middle of the front and rear axles.
- A more synonymous word for the vehicle would be an "Elephant". Like in the forest you can witness some lack of grunt to wade through the city traffic.
- On highways it just storms through as if the Elephant is charging, max speed registered 123 Kmph.
- The vehicle strides through any off-road condition given its size. Being a part of the Jeep Thrills Hyderabad chapter, it was a glimpse for all Jeep enthusiasts watching the Beast wade throug slush, thick black soil, water, crossing ridges, rocks. All said and done you still feel like a mahout. The turbo kicks in at 2000 rpm, and it will undoubtedly steer its way in a better manner if the turbo could kick in at 1500rpm.
- Definitely underpowered for the sheer size was my first impression. Didn't believe unless it was seen in some hard-core offroading action. A true surprise for many Jeep enthusiasts within Hyderabad. The TL strides through anything and everything laid in its path. However, given its lenght you need to watch your approach angle while taking short width humps.
- Ride quality is superb. Given its ground clearance and the comfort of a power steering coupled with air conditioning, you definitely feel the King of Roads.
- You need to get used to the size as this is one massive pick-up. The Xenon lacks the masculine flavour as compared to the TL. However for people craving for luxory, the Xenon is the choice.
- It's a pick-up and if you are expecting some driving comfort of a saloon, or a proper SUV (Landcruiser, XC90, Touraeg,etc.) then you may have got your choices incorrect. This is a proper truck and it definitely needs a man to steer this Machine. However some good tires like the one's that I had got Yokohama AT/s the one's that were there on the previous land cruisers make hell of a difference to your driving comfort. It's sheer pleasure to have them on a highway and an amazing traction on off-road.
- The TATA's as always have a poor vision when it comes to the interior quality, evident on the TL. However the Xenon, is a classic example of their comeback with some solid work on the interiors. It definitely looks a class apart (TATA standards).
- This is one vehicle at 8 lakhs where you got a lot, mean machine looks, amazing offroading capability, air conditioning with heater, ORVM's, cigarette lighter, change on the fly 4x4 option, Limited slip differential, auto free-wheeling hubs, space to seat 4 comfortably (if you do not want to use the bench seats and canopy that the bed comes equipped with, which can also accomodate another 6), power steering, load carrying capacity, ability to camp out in wilderness and you if you are a serious RV lover you have loads of options open with the limit. Sky is your limit, and you would never feel bad for abusing it. I cannot take the Landcruiser and abuse the same manner.

With this vehicle, I just love solitude at times in middle of wilderness. I call my TL - Freedom.
rajgoli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2009, 15:02   #20
BHPian

I totally respect Rajgoli's views and am sure the verdict he gives on TL would be immaculate.However,I would anyday prefer a gypsy.
1) Looks good,great in comfort.
2) Good for both offroading and city drive,actually a 4x4 which you can use to take your family out ,too.
3) Maintenance is not a hassle.Maruti service is always available.
4) Its superbly easy to drive.

That will be my suggestion.Ofcourse,the Tata Xenon looks awesome.Infact,we showcased it in our auto expo,here in Bangalore.Its a stunner.
Old 17th November 2009, 09:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy1989 View Post
....However,I would anyday prefer a gypsy.
1) Looks good,great in comfort...
Well all other points about gypsy is definitely very true. But are you sure about the comfort part? I thought thats the single most negative factor against gypsy as a family vehicle.
Old 17th November 2009, 10:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajgoli View Post

Though sharing my views on the vehicle should probably clear a few inhibitions for people seriously looking forward to own a 4x4 pick-up. Infact my opinion about a Xenon are not so favourable when it comes to the built quality in comparision to the TL.

- The vehicle strides through any off-road condition given its size. Being a part of the Jeep Thrills Hyderabad chapter, it was a glimpse for all Jeep enthusiasts watching the Beast wade throug slush, thick black soil, water, crossing ridges, rocks. All said and done you still feel like a mahout. The turbo kicks in at 2000 rpm, and it will undoubtedly steer its way in a better manner if the turbo could kick in at 1500rpm.
- Definitely underpowered for the sheer size was my first impression. Didn't believe unless it was seen in some hard-core offroading action. A true surprise for many Jeep enthusiasts within Hyderabad. The TL strides through anything and everything laid in its path. However, given its lenght you need to watch your approach angle while taking short width humps.
- Ride quality is superb. Given its ground clearance and the comfort of a power steering coupled with air conditioning, you definitely feel the King of Roads.
-
With this vehicle, I just love solitude at times in middle of wilderness. I call my TL - Freedom.
Hi Rajgoli,
Even i prefer TL looks compared to Xenon. There is something in those straight lines. Can you please post pictures of your TL off roading? wish TATA could have plonked in 2.2 dicor atleast as an option.

Waiting for the pics of your freedom
Old 17th November 2009, 14:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

I Would prefer GYPSY. A perfect one if rarely used, a good off-roader as well with hazel free maintenance.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Well all other points about gypsy is definitely very true. But are you sure about the comfort part? I thought thats the single most negative factor against gypsy as a family vehicle.
I would partially agree with you.As a family vehicle,the rear seats may not be as comfortable as a car.However,by comfort I meant driving comfort.I personally feel that the Gypsy is very easy to manouver,just like a car.The gear shift is smooth,even the shockers do a good job.
However,by family if you mean a family of 4,I dont think Gypsy wouldnt score there.its got enough space.
Old 18th November 2009, 09:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy1989 View Post
.....However,by comfort I meant driving comfort.I personally feel that the Gypsy is very easy to manouver,just like a car.The gear shift is smooth,even the shockers do a good job..
If you mean comfort in manouvering, gear-shift and related stuffs, yes you are absolutely right. Had my 1st drive of a King couple of days back and realized to some extent the capability of this vehicle, driving was also so much fun.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
If you mean comfort in manouvering, gear-shift and related stuffs, yes you are absolutely right. Had my 1st drive of a King couple of days back and realized to some extent the capability of this vehicle, driving was also so much fun.
I am glad you did take a drive.As a matter of fact,apart from my own Gypsy,I have driven other Gypsy's also.Including few in very bad condition.Yet,the driving was really smooth.You wont feel you are not driving a car,even in city.And thats why I love it.
Even speedwise,its really peppy if you want it to be.As an offroader,it can compete with the best!
Old 29th November 2009, 13:50   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi Rajgoli,
Even i prefer TL looks compared to Xenon. There is something in those straight lines. Can you please post pictures of your TL off roading? wish TATA could have plonked in 2.2 dicor atleast as an option.

Waiting for the pics of your freedom
Hi,

Appended are a few pics.

Regards,
Raj.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata TL vs Maruti Gypsy vs Bolero Invader-up.jpg  

Tata TL vs Maruti Gypsy vs Bolero Invader-up1.jpg  

Tata TL vs Maruti Gypsy vs Bolero Invader-up2.jpg  

Tata TL vs Maruti Gypsy vs Bolero Invader-up3.jpg  

rajgoli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2009, 16:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

@rajgoli,
For the 1st time i am seeing a TL 4x4 in this kind of action. Amazing is the word. Kindly post some more pics if not a dedicated new thread altogether, as not much of people possess TL and use it for offroading actions the way you are.
-regards,
Old 30th November 2009, 17:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Rajgoli,
Thanks for the pics ..yours is a beauty. Is TL still available?
Old 1st December 2009, 11:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
....Is TL still available?
I guess so. The site for the TL by Tata motors is still active. Though i dont know how interested they will be to promote this model now when the Xenon is there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks