Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:49   #31
BHPian

I must confess to have been in the category of a "Gypsy extremist" (still am some times!), but i will fully concur with rajgoli's post above.

We once went offroading in a certain forest in the Konkan, 2 Gypsies and 1 brand spanking new TL 4x4 and both on the expressway as well as on the forest trail, the TL 4x4 led the way, all through!

Initially we were taking our friends case for having bought a haathi and turned into a truck driver etc etc, but later when we were having our a**ses handed down to us off the road, we were forced to eat humble pie. I for one, am suitably impressed.

It has the advantage of having a more torqueey diesel and I dont know what they have done to the steering but the bitch can turn around with a fraction of the effort and distance as compared to us!

My friend paid all of 6.83 lakhs to get his TL and the amount of metal you get for that is phenomenal! Unfortunately I am already invested in the Gypsy. But the TL is certainly a fantastic proposition.

The main advantage of the Gypsy is that it is a silent performer: very important in forest type environment. THe TL, despite all the refinement of the engine (old Safari IDI unit if i am not mistaken), is still MUCH MORE NOISIER than the Gypsy.

Last edited by COUGAR : 2nd December 2009 at 09:52.
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
....2 Gypsies and 1 brand spanking new TL 4x4 and both on the expressway as well as on the forest trail, the TL 4x4 led the way, all through!.!.....
My goodness, i never ever had any idea that the TL could be this impressive. Such testimonial from an mpfi gypsy owner about performance of TL on & off-road is certainly more than encouraging. Kindly post any pics if you have.

Quote:
......It has the advantage of having a more torqueey diesel and I dont know what they have done to the steering but the bitch can turn around with a fraction of the effort and distance as compared to us!.....
And i had the impression that manouvering such a long vehicle is probably one of the most negative points! In fact that was the 1st major difficulty i could think about the TL.

Quote:
.....My friend paid all of 6.83 lakhs to get his TL .......
Absolutely VFM IMHO. Though the Xenon is much superior in looks and boasts of the 2.2 Dicor, i guess TL4x4 is a better VFM option particularly when the rear cabin space is not too better in the Xenon.

Quote:
.....THe TL, despite all the refinement of the engine (old Safari IDI unit if i am not mistaken), is still MUCH MORE NOISIER than the Gypsy.
Well you can't compare the silence of the gypsy to a diesel after all. But i guess overall the TL4x4 does have the promise of a good highway cruiser and more than decent off-roading vehicle, the long distance camper sort of. I went through the test driving experience of some people when the TL4x4 was launched but majority of them had a negative review particularly about the engine being underpowered and few other points. But now i feel its not that bad at all.

@rajgoli, couple of more pics please.
-regards,
Old 2nd December 2009, 13:18   #33
BHPian

I drove the TL for some time and found it handled quite well. AC comfort is unbeaten! Plus with a 6ft by 6.5 ft rear platform (dual cab version), it is a great candidate to build an all terrain mini Motor-Home!

I have been trying to do that with my gypsy and its 4ft by 4ft rear platform is positively miniscule in proportion! But yeah the Gypsy can also be used for local trips to the Gym or Suruchi. I wouldnt dare to take a TL there!

One problem that i found when driving the TL, maybe it was a defect in my friends vehicle, was that the engine kind of surged suddenly after a certain RPM. This was the turbo kicking in, but on the TL it felt kinda sudden and not smooth as in indigo type vehicles.
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajgoli View Post
Yes it is still available. Here is a short synopsis on the comparision as per my view.
Why dont you give a ownership review of this machine on a seperate thread? Would be interesting!
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:46   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Initially we were taking our friends case for having bought a haathi and turned into a truck driver etc etc, but later when we were having our a**ses handed down to us off the road, we were forced to eat humble pie. I for one, am suitably impressed.

My friend paid all of 6.83 lakhs to get his TL ....
Quote:
I drove the TL for some time and found it handled quite well. AC comfort is unbeaten!....
Slightly , . Was this TL that of Ronnie's? I met him few months ago and was hearing some fond remembrances of this very capable TL. He was getting all nostalgic

Must say that I was very impressed by the pictures I saw with Ronnie of this TL.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:17   #36

Quote:
Yes it is still available. Here is a short synopsis on the comparision as per my view.

Features Vehicle VersionsTL 4x4Safari VxInnova VxCRV 4x4Tuscon 4x4Power Steering √√√√√Long wheel base √√√√√Shift on fly 4x4 mechanism √√×√√Limited slip differential √××××Automatic free wheeling hubs √√×√√Cabin space for 4 passengers √√√√√Air conditioning √√√√√Music system √√√√√Powerful diesel engine √√√×√Rear de-mister √√√√√Front Arm Rests (Driver+Passenger) ×√√√√External Body Maintainence √××××Engine Maintainence √√×××Engine Reliability√√√√√Spare parts cost √√×××Good suspension √√√√√Space to carry load √×√××SUV looks √√×√√Power windows ×√√√√Solid tyres √√√√√Ground clearance √√××√Driving Comfort √√√√√Passenger seat comfort √√√√√Rear seat comfort ×√√√√Overall looks ×√√√√Overall Price √××××Mean machine looks √√××√Amount on road in lakhs7.514.311.816.215.7
Kindly excuse for the inapproriate format, appended below is the actual format. Most of the times, on the trips I have been the official photographer for the troop and hence not too many pics....however will try and source a few that were captured through other lenses.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata TL vs Maruti Gypsy vs Bolero Invader-survey.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2009, 11:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

TATA TL 4x4 on road price chennai is about 7,15,000. Thats less than the Bolero 4x4! Good for long drives and country trails.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

Bolero Would be good and also not to mention Xenon
Old 4th January 2010, 11:41   #39
BHPian

May we all know what was brought afterwards? This topic is getting more interesting after each post.
Old 12th January 2010, 09:14   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_sweat View Post
May we all know what was brought afterwards? This topic is getting more interesting after each post.
None of them :(. I got a 10 year old tata sierra because it was so cheap and ran it aground within 8 months. Currently car less and in the market for a NEW suv. I've learned the hard way that buying used just isn't for me...

Scorpio mHawk is my top choice at the moment, but I won't be buying until the 2nd half of this year at the earliest (going to thailand to train muay thai).

Note From Team-Bhp support: Kindly use a little more discretion in choosing words. Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to.

Last edited by Amartya : 27th December 2010 at 00:04. Reason: Late in the day, but the use of improper language brought to our attention by a member
Old 26th December 2010, 22:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Appended are a few pics.

Regards,
Raj.
The pictures are truly awesome . I believe you've got one of those offroading DNA's in you. Would you mind posting some pictures of its interior. Haven't seen one so far. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil View Post
None of them :( I got a 10 year old tata sierra because it was so cheap and ran it aground within 8 months. Currently car less and in the market for a NEW suv. I've learned the hard way that buying used just isn't for me...

Scorpio mHawk is my top choice at the moment, but I won't be buying until the 2nd half of this year at the earliest (going to thailand to train muay thai).
Are you back from Thailand yet? And what did you finally buy this time, or are you still waiting?

Note from Team-BHP support: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating back-to-back posts.

Last edited by Amartya : 27th December 2010 at 00:02. Reason: Back to back posts within 20 mins.
Old 20th November 2011, 06:33   #42

Re: Tata TL vs Maruti Gypsy vs Bolero Invader

I have been trying to figure out my options between a gypsy and a TL for some time now.

Ofcourse on the lookout for a pre owned vehicle. So between the 2 which will be heavier on the pocket when it comes to maintaining the vehicle. This is not considering the fuel costs but pure maintenance costs.

Is it possible to find a used TL in white plate delhi registration ?? If anyone knows about where to inquire about the TL please do let me know . Because no amount of google research came up with a "on sale" vehicle. plus will parts be harder and more expensive to find for the TL than the gypsy ?

Even though I am more inclined towards the TL I am trying to keep my options open , as a matter of fact so open that I can even consider rebuilding a mm550

But if any one could help me with some info about the TL's , it will be much appreciated.

Most Viewed