Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2008, 04:24   #1
BHPian

Tata TL vs Maruti Gypsy vs Bolero Invader

I'm in the market for a 4wd pickup. The gypsy seems to be the best performer but an awful petrol guzzler. Does the gypsy perform just as well on CNG? Is the tata TL as tough as it is a looker? And what about the bolero invader?

I want good offroading capabilities. Power steering isn't a must but always appreciated. AC I suppose can be retrofitted into most cabins.

I'd really like to buy the gypsy and pimp it out, well suitable for the wallet (if purchased used) & serves its purpose nicely.

Awaiting suggestions.
Old 17th August 2008, 21:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata TL and Invader are too agricultural,i'd suggest Gypsy anyday.
Old 18th August 2008, 18:54   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If your running is not going to be on the higher side, the Gypsy is your best bet. Superb offroadability + reliability to match. If, on the other hand, you are going to munch long miles, a diesel is far more suitable. How about the Mahindra Getaway?
Old 18th August 2008, 19:12   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Tata TL -not popular as an option.Looks good but not much info available on reliability and actual user reviews.
Invader -great product. Not sure if it comes with 4x4 option though.
Gypsy - proven, superb off roader - however, highly uneconomical because its petrol driven.
Like GTO says why not a Mahindra Scorpio Getaway or a Mahindra Bolero Pik Up or even an used Mahindra Bolero GLX 4x4?
Maybe otherwise you should wait for the Xenon!
Old 18th August 2008, 21:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Are you into serious off roading, than TL is out of question, if not and you just want to pimp it and have a statement than go thats the one to buy or you have some use for it for hauling stuff. Reliability wise , it's pretty good, Only bad thing is it's got a IDI engine and is underpowered for it weight.
If you want to off road at higher altitude than Gypsy,or else the Invader is the one, great vehicle to off road in and can be pimped out as you mentioned.
It come with rower steering, and it's diesel. I have had a chance of driving a LPG fueled Gypsy good on road driving, but once off road the engine had to be revved to high to get nay bit of power that was bad for traction on slippery surface. I think with cng it'll be the same case.

Last edited by dinar : 18th August 2008 at 21:50.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Buy a Bolero 4X4, it will be the best option. Tl doesnt do justice in its capablities to its rugged looks. Though I agree it can be pimped to look macho but it would be in looks department only. Invader is a nice option but if you are carrying more than 2 passengers it can get quite uncomfortable in the rear especially with the side benches. Bolero scores on all points. In case you want to pimp it according to your tastes buy an LX 4X4 and modify it.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:40   #7
BANNED

Bolero LX 4x4 doesnt exist
Invader 4x4 can be got on order only
Otherwise its only the GLX 4x4 also which can be got on order only
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Buy a Bolero 4X4, it will be the best option. Tl doesnt do justice in its capablities to its rugged looks. Though I agree it can be pimped to look macho but it would be in looks department only. Invader is a nice option but if you are carrying more than 2 passengers it can get quite uncomfortable in the rear especially with the side benches. Bolero scores on all points. In case you want to pimp it according to your tastes buy an LX 4X4 and modify it.
Old 25th August 2008, 14:21   #8
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra getaway 4x4 is the most suitable if you have a 8L budget
Old 25th August 2008, 15:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Bolero LX 4X4 does exist though only on orders. These days Himachal Government has scores of them in their fleet. They are rugged and sturdy.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:47   #10
BANNED

This LX version is normally given only to Government agencies for some reason. I thought the LX came only with 2WD and not 4WD. It has lower trim specs than even Bolero Sportz I believe.

I used to have a SPORTZ and one of my neighbours who is in the Police Service has an LX (2WD)- I used to keep wondering what this LX was because the chaps at the dealership never talk about it to private buyers.

Then one of my pals in the dealership told me about it being primarily for government use etc.

But now Im glad to read what you've posted about it being available in 4WD too.
And YES, the Bolero generally IS extremely rugged, sturdy and practically indestructible. Great vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Bolero LX 4X4 does exist though only on orders. These days Himachal Government has scores of them in their fleet. They are rugged and sturdy.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th August 2008 at 15:49.
Old 26th August 2008, 05:39   #11
adc
Senior - BHPian

Xenon

Wait for this, only if you can spare 8 L - TATA Xenon
Attached Thumbnails
Tata TL vs Maruti Gypsy vs Bolero Invader-bdepmc12322.jpg  

Tata TL vs Maruti Gypsy vs Bolero Invader-39540_5162322685_thumb_xenon6.jpg  

Last edited by adc : 26th August 2008 at 05:47.
Old 26th August 2008, 13:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil View Post
I'm in the market for a 4wd pickup. The gypsy seems to be the best performer but an awful petrol guzzler. Does the gypsy perform just as well on CNG? Is the tata TL as tough as it is a looker? And what about the bolero invader?

I want good offroading capabilities. Power steering isn't a must but always appreciated. AC I suppose can be retrofitted into most cabins.

I'd really like to buy the gypsy and pimp it out, well suitable for the wallet (if purchased used) & serves its purpose nicely.

Awaiting suggestions.
The Gypsy is fair for ON road and OFF road. The Tata TL might not be worth if it weighs over 2 tons, especially in OFF road situations!

Can you elaborate on the "good offroading capabilities". Thanks
Old 26th August 2008, 14:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil View Post
I'm in the market for a 4wd pickup. The gypsy seems to be the best performer but an awful petrol guzzler. Does the gypsy perform just as well on CNG? ....
Not necessarily true -- especially if you have 6-7kmpl avg in mind. Gypsy can easily give ~10-11 kmpl in city and 13 kmpl on highway. I get these figures and Vikram (headers) also gets these figures.

Yes, 2 of the fellow jeepers here in Bangalore have CNG on their Gypsy. They use CNG for 'on road' and for 'off-road' they use petrol. Works wonderfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The Gypsy is fair for ON road and OFF road. The Tata TL might not be worth if it weighs over 2 tons, especially in OFF road situations!...
I fully agree with headers here. Weight is one of the biggest disadvantage you can have in most off-road situations.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th August 2008 at 14:18.
Old 26th August 2008, 14:13   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

If the need is for a off-roader with some cargo space, then it's the Gypsy.

Else, if you want more comfort but still be able to take some rough roads, it's the TL.

Absolute torture-testing & some cargo capacity, it's the Invader. But I dont think if it has a 4x4.

Another option you missed : the Scorp Getaway.
Old 26th August 2008, 14:40   #15
BHPian

For your comparision :
Tata TL : Used by Jungles lodges and resorts for their safaris in the tourism zone in WLS of Karnataka.
Gypsy : Extensively used by deptarments. More of an allrounder that can offroad too.
Bolero Invader: Later day interpretation of the venerable Jeep. Used by Project tiger guys and decided better in terms of servicablity and running costs.
cheers
Jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Tata TL -not popular as an option.Looks good but not much info available on reliability and actual user reviews.
Invader -great product. Not sure if it comes with 4x4 option though.
Gypsy - proven, superb off roader - however, highly uneconomical because its petrol driven.
Like GTO says why not a Mahindra Scorpio Getaway or a Mahindra Bolero Pik Up or even an used Mahindra Bolero GLX 4x4?
Maybe otherwise you should wait for the Xenon!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks