Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2010, 11:24   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
May be what you say is correct - but that was for the initial days. Its been about 8 years since Volvo came to India, and KaSRTC is still purchasing Volvos. Why so?
Even after 8 years, If you subtract the no of buses purchased by Kanataka Gov, there are not enough volume for Volvo to sustain the plant. Volvo will close down and Karanataka will loose another Automobile manufacturer. How can they be profitable by selling just 500 buses a year? I hope this wont happen, Once again, i like Volvos and like to travel by Volvos. but i dont like loss making RTCs running Volvos at a loss.
Old 27th April 2010, 12:37   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Most of you have been discussing the volvo power to AL tata Engine power . What is missing is the fact that the volvo bus runs the air conditioner off the same engine , where as the AL and Tata have to use an auxilliary engine for air conditioning . Another thing is volvo is inherently heavier than the AL or Tata buses .

Power to weight is more important than the power of the engines .
Torque is more important in CV than power. In this case the diff is obvious. Volvos generate around 100kgs of torque compared to 30/40kgs for AL/Tata traditional buses.
The so called aux engine for the a/c was nothing more than a pumpset/genset 2 stroke engine, fixed to the underbelly, powering a compressor. Used to cause high degree of vibration and noise.

AL cant compete with Volvos or even Kinglongs unless they make some really smooth engines, the current lot are far too crude to compare!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
The reason for the tamil nadu govt to choose traditional AL or Tata over Volvo is that people want cheaper tickets rather than comfort . Another thing is the mileage . An AL bus returns atleast 1.5 kms more than a volvo bus thereby making it cheaper to operate . An AL engine has an expected life of around 5 lakh kms and the engines are rebored and recon work is done in the MTC , TNSTC workshops .
The engines are actually replaced and the time taken for an engine replacement is typically 1-2 hrs . That is why most of the tamil nadu state operated vehicles do not have the engines no . that is mentioned in the RC book .
Bus/Truck operations are not to be judged by fuel economy alone like a car. Its more important to judge running time, time to turn around, availability and average speeds.
I am sure for an average passenger prefers paying Rs 220 for a Volvo rathe than paying say Rs 160 for a AL/Tata globus from Mumbai - Pune, simply because of the comfort
Old 27th April 2010, 18:33   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Bus/Truck operations are not to be judged by fuel economy alone like a car. Its more important to judge running time, time to turn around, availability and average speeds.
I am sure for an average passenger prefers paying Rs 220 for a Volvo rathe than paying say Rs 160 for a AL/Tata globus from Mumbai - Pune, simply because of the comfort

For a transport corporation , mileage is more important . Even .25 kms extra mileage translates to so lakhs of rupees per day .
Old 30th April 2010, 20:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen, anybody know who is offering Mercedes buses on the BLR-Chennai route?

My father would like to try it out next time. Thx
Old 1st May 2010, 19:50   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Gentlemen, anybody know who is offering Mercedes buses on the BLR-Chennai route?

I dont think operators in chennai are so crazy abt mercedes buses .Even the penentration of volvo is not so much compared to other cities .
Old 3rd May 2010, 04:54   #81
Senior - BHPian

What about operators in Bangalore? That is supposed to be a high traffic route with affulent customers.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd May 2010 at 05:00.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:13   #82
Senior - BHPian

I traveled in the Star from Amritsar to Chandigarh.

To sum up: The best bus I have traveled in so far!
Old 16th May 2010, 21:57   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

If there is one operator who would even think of introducing MB buses on the BLR-Chennai route, it would be Parveen Travels.
Old 4th June 2010, 15:41   #84
BHPian

Sharma Transports in now having MB on the Bangalore-Hyderabad route. Just saw this on their website!
Old 4th June 2010, 16:21   #85
BHPian

forget about the pvt transporters , MSRTC or maharashtra's state transport is operating them in between pune and mumbai on regular basis as they have bought plenty of those stars !!!
Old 4th June 2010, 18:45   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
forget about the pvt transporters , MSRTC or maharashtra's state transport is operating them in between pune and mumbai on regular basis as they have bought plenty of those stars !!!
Correction: They have not bought a single "star". All buses have been taken on lease.
Old 4th June 2010, 21:32   #87
Senior - BHPian

Parveen Travels has launched the MB buses in Chennai-Trivandrum sector. Just checked it out in their website. Being a huge fan of the Volvos, I would love to experience the Star as well.

Also, Economic Times had an article about this today:

"CHENNAI: Mercedes Benz India, which ventured into the long distance luxury bus segment, will soon get into the city bus market, a top company official said Thursday.

"We are looking at city bus segment with low foot boards. There will be price difference between the long distance luxury buses and the buses to be supplied for city transport. The price will be competitive," Wilfried Aulbur, managing director of the Germany-based Daimler group's Indian subsidiary, told reporters here.

Mercedes Benz will be competing with Volvo that has made inroads into the city transport segment with its air conditioned buses.

Aulbur expects the company to log double digit growth this calendar year in the luxury bus segment.

"We have sold 43 luxury coaches, two and three axles put together, till date," he said, declining to share the current year's target.

In India, Mercedes Benz sells two and three axle luxury coaches.

"The two axle is priced at Rs.74 lakh and the three axle is Rs.92 lakh," Aulbur said.

Aulbur was here to hand over the keys of two buses to city-based tour operator Parveen Travels.

"On a single shift basis we can assemble 1,200 luxury bus chassis and engines, both imported, at our Pune plant. We expect the 1,000 units per annum market to grow 15-20 percent over the next 10 years," he added.

Asked about the possiblity of sourcing engines from a group company that is setting up a truck plant near here, he said: "There is a possibility. But I cannot comment anything now."

According to Srinivas Chilukuri, general manager, the Daimler group commands 13 percent market share in the 250,000 units per annum eight tonne gross vehicle weight (GVW) bus segment globally, followed by India's Ashok Leyland.

The company is investing Rs.200 crore across the country in upgrading the infrastructure of its dealers and service stations, Aulbur told."

One more interesting fact which I came to know only today was that our own Ashok Leyland is the world's second largest player in the International 8 Tonne Buses Sector.
Old 26th June 2010, 20:11   #88
BHPian

posting some pics of mercedes benz multi axle.
courtesy: Travelling by Volvo B7R bus in India: Parveen travels gets first Mercedes Multi-axle bus

The benz bus have their 6T rear axle behind the driven axle unlike volvo multiaxle.
The website says lifting equipment is standard, in the axle specs. so i think the 6T axle might be liftable type but i'm not very sure about that. here are the pics of parveen travels mercedes benz bus.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz launches Intercity coaches (2 and 3 axle)-banner_new.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz launches Intercity coaches (2 and 3 axle)-praveen-mercedes-multi-axle.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz launches Intercity coaches (2 and 3 axle)-mercedesmultiaxle.jpg  

conjon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 02:02   #89
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz launches Intercity coaches (2 and 3 axle)

A small query: Why does the Volvo multi-axle has its trailing axle (single wheel) at the front whereas the Mercedes multi-axle has its trailing axle (single wheel) at the back of the main axle?
Old 17th October 2011, 03:25   #90
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz launches Intercity coaches (2 and 3 axle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
A small query: Why does the Volvo multi-axle has its trailing axle (single wheel) at the front whereas the Mercedes multi-axle has its trailing axle (single wheel) at the back of the main axle?
There is no particular reason for it to be like that. Volvo's B12B also has the trailing axle behind the powered axle. There were rumours that the B12B will be the next product to be launched by Volvo in India
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed