Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 15:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ideal Vehicle for an Indian Ambulance?

Which is the ideal vehicle for Ambulance?
Old 19th September 2008, 15:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Tata winger/Maruti Omni/Tempo traveller/Swaraj mazda. These are the ideal vehicles. Take your pick.
Old 19th September 2008, 15:48   #3
BHPian

In the Indian context, I guess a decently loaded (with equipment and space for doctors to work) Ambulance, has to be a Tempo (oops Force) Traveller. Having travelled in one (scary experience even tho' I was not the patient), I know it was the best around!

The engine seems pretty powerful too.

Anything else is a compromise. Esp. those Maruti Omni ones. There is barely any place in those. But then you can't discount the fact that they are able to move around quickly in busy traffic areas (this is very essential for trauma victims).

Others like Bolero based or Tata Winger based ones offer decent space (inside) while not being too large outside!

Of course specific applications would need specially designed ambulances like those with 4WD or those operating at airports.

-Co-incidentally I came across a Maruti Omni ambulance today morning that (very rightly) claimed itself to be an "Ambulette"!

Wanted to stop and take pics, but... I guess it was on a call and waiting outside a house. It would definitely offend the sentiments of the people who called it. Hence moved on!

Last edited by Glifford : 19th September 2008 at 15:57. Reason: Added "today morning"
Glifford is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2008, 20:14   #4
BHPian

@Glifford: I agree on the Maruti Omni bit. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the Omni should not be given a license to operate as an ambulance. Its too small to fit the necessary people and equipment and has a horrible ride - an absolute No-No for an ambulance.

I think the Traveler and the Winger will make ideal ambulances in today's India
Old 19th September 2008, 20:39   #5
BANNED

Saw a winger ambulance yesterday. Thankfully, I have not been in any of the ambulance so far.

Should say that the winger looks better as an ambulance than the omni. The rear doors which open to both sides, good length, and power gives it an advantage over the Omni. And a better choice than the Force traveller for smaller size - you can literally squeeze it through tiny spaces in emergencies. OF course, the engine is diesel.
Old 19th September 2008, 20:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari 2.2 or Sumo Grande 2.2, with redesigned rear ingress/egress points.
Old 19th September 2008, 20:59   #7
BHPian

A Tata 407, Winger or a Force Traveller is the best bet keeping in mind the size, inside out.
Old 19th September 2008, 20:59   #8
BANNED

Tempo traveler can be converted into a moving Clinic or ICU, Winger & Omni are strictly for shifting, as space is less for essential equipment.
What are the prices of Winger & Traveler Ambulances?
Old 19th September 2008, 21:04   #9
BANNED

Streetlife - does the 407 come with a pre-built body?

And yes - the sumo grande - worth consideration; but you may not be able to stand up inside it. Looking at the fully equipped ambulances (in films ;0) outside India, I do think that we do not have much choice - except something in the LCV class - Traveller (for options with pre-built body); or the Mini-trucks, like the 307, Swaraj Mazda, etc.
Old 19th September 2008, 21:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Force is usually the best as the ride is suitable for that application.Second choice could be the 407,both these big vehicles,so can take a lot of equipment but quit difficult to tackle heavy traffic and congested road [gallies]. So the choice depend on the service it will be put. Other choices are an Omni or a sumo, these are capable vehicle but can carry very few systems on board, they have sufficient power to drive fast to the locatin and back to hospital.
Old 19th September 2008, 21:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

IMO its has to be either of force traveller(mercedes benz 308D) or the tata winger(renault traffic)
Old 19th September 2008, 21:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Omni is too small and Traveller is too big. The ideal ambulance would be an Innova if they make a cheaper cargo version.
Old 19th September 2008, 21:26   #13
BHPian

Ambulances are speciaised vehicles. In india there are many different types of vehicles used as abulances.
1. Omni - commonest..used in smaller hospitals, also CATS ambulances, diagnostic center and as hearse
2. Tempo / force traveller - this is one of the most popular. most advanced ambulances including of Apollo , fortis, goodman's rescue are these. also these have mobile ventilators etc.
3. TATA SUMO - i think delhi police have few of them Ambulance-cum-PCR vans
4. Some Nissan vehicle donated to CATS, delhi by Japanese govt. these are well equipped with oxygen cylinders etc.
tempo / force travellers ambulances can cost upwards of 20 lakhs
Old 20th September 2008, 00:59   #14
BHPian

Toyota Innova should be a perfect fit as an Ambulance. But hospitals don't spend much on good ambulance packages. Good Deal in terms of emergencies. It is torquish. It can run faster than omni etc. and ofcourse handling much better than tata sumo or omni.
Old 20th September 2008, 01:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

apollo hospital here has a line of mercedes ambulances, not sure what it was based on

edit: it was this Mercedes-Benz Sprinter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by bottle : 20th September 2008 at 01:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks