Team-BHP > BHP India > Commercial Vehicles

Old 25th July 2018, 15:51   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
I was wondering if and when it would be retired and scraped by the army, would it be considered road legal if bought via auction and restored by a civilian for personal use
OT: Sorry to be a nitpicker, but the CISF (who seem to be the users of the Renault Sherpa from the tweet image above) is a CAPF, and is not a branch of the Indian Armed Forces.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th July 2018 at 15:53.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 10:36   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Mr Narayan, would you have some pictures of these ground vehicles we have been using, I am sure there are many Russian and British vehicles we had used - and of course we started making them on our own along with other domestic manufacturers like Tata and Mahindra.
I do not have photos but they can be pulled from the internet quite readily. To best of my knowledge we did not manufacture the Russian trucks. They were purchased as apart of the missile or radar or rocket launcher they carried. Tatra 8x8 we did make in country by BEML. Some photos from the Republic Day parade.

Name:  IAF truck prithvi 1.jpg
Views: 2159
Size:  117.6 KB
Prithvi Surface to surface ballistic missile on a Tatra 8x8

Name:  IAF Truck 4.jpg
Views: 2074
Size:  83.9 KB
Pechora Surface to air missile on a Russian 6x6

The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread-iaf-truck-5.jpg
Old truck from WW2. This was a Canadian made Chevrolet Type 15A produced to a British Army specification. British specs, American design, Canadian made, used in India. These ubiquitious small trucks were phased out circa 1968-70. Towards the latter part of their lives many were put on school bus and other utility duties in the cantonments. As a kid I went to school often trundling in one of these.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2018, 12:30   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
To best of my knowledge we did not manufacture the Russian trucks. They were purchased as apart of the missile or radar or rocket launcher they carried. Tatra 8x8 we did make in country by BEML.
What I meant was we started making our own trucks through Tata, Leyland etc

Old truck from WW2. This was a Canadian made Chevrolet Type 15A produced to a British Army specification. British specs, American design, Canadian made, used in India. These ubiquitious small trucks were phased out circa 1968-70. Towards the latter part of their lives many were put on school bus and other utility duties in the cantonments. As a kid I went to school often trundling in one of these. [/quote]

Thanks for sharing, My Grandfather used to tell us stories about Ford and Chevrolet trucks while he was serving the British Indian Army in North East India.

As you said - I am trying a bit of googling and adding some pics so that - people could contribute with more info against each of them.

Found this Chevrolet again (Canadian) from Wikipedia
The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread-14chevrolet.jpg

Are these the same BedFord we used I can see 2 types while the one with visible bonnet are still being driven around (Source http://pazhayathu.blogspot.com)
Name:  13Bedford.jpg
Views: 2071
Size:  73.3 KB

Another one from Tbhp - I have seen this in front of Kempegowda Bus Terminal at Bangalore
The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread-1947-bedford-bus-tbhp.jpg

This one from the Danish Army Archives (Source : http://www.armyvehicles.dk)
Name:  Bedford  Danish Army.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  25.4 KB

I have seen these Bedford Trucks doing duty as firetrucks in Tanzania, Did we use them?
(Source Wikipedia)
The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread-bedford-1.jpg

What make are these ? Another image from TBHP
Source : Alamy
The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread-1hb748h.jpg

So the Kraz as well.
The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread-2kraz.jpg

Time for some Shaktiman (Source - Tbhp)
Name:  3  ShaktiMan 4x4.jpg
Views: 2020
Size:  96.1 KB

Source : http://www.defenseandtechnologylover.com
The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread-7shaktiman.jpg

Moving to Tata (Source : Tata Motors Webpage)

Name:  5Tata.jpg
Views: 2053
Size:  33.4 KB

A beauty in itself - It says Tata Military Truck used by the Nepal Army
Source : http://www.flickriver.com
Name:  10Tata.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  193.1 KB

Our Workhorse - I think this is the most widely used military truck in this category by our defense forces. The same trucks are being used by the Kenya Defense Forces, and I have seen many there in Kenya as well.

Source: Wikiwand
Name:  11Stallion.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  60.1 KB

Some Jongas - I have read that these are Nissan SUV's made in India - more insights will help.

Source: myjonga.com
The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread-12jonga.jpg

The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread-6jonga.jpg

Not sure whether these are the images of the same Pajeros used by ITBP - but I am sure that they use some Pajeros there, along with a newly acquired set of Fortuners.
Name:  8Pajero.jpeg
Views: 2001
Size:  8.0 KB

Another newbie - beauty from Tata - not sure whether they are in service, probably from some defence expo.
Name:  5Tata.jpeg
Views: 1997
Size:  8.7 KB

And finally the Windy - this is probably the only picture I have seen of this vehicle. Based on my limited knowledge this was an attempt by DRDO for a domestic LSV. Please contribute in adding more info.
Name:  9Windy.png
Views: 2053
Size:  641.1 KB
peterjim13 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 12:35   #109
BHPian

Default The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread

The Indian Armed Forces...Army/Navy/Airforce Vehicle Thread-3a18bbc942a647ca92849bd984930f77.jpeg

Spotted the Renault Sherpa Light Scout tanking up at the petrol pump opposite PMs residence .

Attachment 1832225

Attachment 1832226

A 7 tonne juggernaut with 4.7 litre turbo diesel twisting 800Nm torque and 215 bhp

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 29th December 2018 at 12:47.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2019, 20:05   #110
BHPian

More Sherpas coming:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...6.cms?from=mdr

I remember reading about multiple such vehicles being tested. Those included Tatas and Mahindras. Is that selection over? Renault Sherpas were the winners?
troublemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 18:44   #111
BHPian

I'm rather keen to hear what the folks here think about a recent announcement in the PM's speech that I found most interesting from a defence perspective:
India will get a Chief of Defence Staff (akin to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs for the US)
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pm-n...home-topscroll
It's something I've argued in favour of for a while. I really hope the creation of this position finally starts imparting something resembling cohesion to our famously patchwork defence structure (hopeful I know but oh well)

Mods: Please feel free to move this post to another forum where it'll be more relevant to the preceding discourse.
ads11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 19:15   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
I'm rather keen to hear what the folks here think about a recent announcement in the PM's speech that I found most interesting from a defence perspective:
India will get a Chief of Defence Staff (akin to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs for the US)........
In one way a practical move to better co-ordinate the actions and intelligence gathering of the three forces plus Coast Guard and now the burgeoning ballistic missile force. With networking, cyber warfare and cyber intelligence becoming prominent a more co-ordinated approach is needed. In addition to the reporting line of the three chiefs to the CDS they should also have their reporting lines to the Raksha Mantri kept alive.

This new position of the CDS brings into question of his role vis a vis the role of the Defence Secretary. The Defence Secretary is usually an IAS Officer when it really should be an IFS Officer as Defence is execution of your foreign policy by other means. And that is what was intended in 1947 but the vice like grip of the IAS over almost every top post in GoI at the expense of other services is infamous. As it is the Defence Secretary (most of them at least) behaves as if they and not the RM is the boss of the Chiefs and the layer of the CDS will complicate this bureaucracy further.

One more change the PM should bring in is a fixed 5-year tenure for the Chiefs. The current 3 year one is too little to bring change in such vast organizations.
V.Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 21:31   #113
BHPian

Agreed, the problem in India is the creation of a new rung in the ladder is yet more kindling to the raging bonfire that is the bureaucracy. Ah well, I'd like to think that the operational benefits would be significant enough to outweigh the pitfalls (more wistful thinking maybe..). It should be like a central switchboard from which the CDS can assign whichever service assets or combination thereof are nearest and best placed to deal with an evolving situation. Surely that would make all the services more nimble as a result. Heck it might even lead to more streamlined responses in natural disasters and surely the public can't argue against that.

I can't help but think of Sir Humphrey from the biting satirical political comedy Yes, Minister. It really is true all the tropes they have about the Secretaries and the rest of the bureaucratic class. Sigh.

Surely the model here should be for service chiefs => CDS => Defence Minister => Prime Minister

Also agreed, 3 years is far too short. By the time they'll become acclimatised with the extensive service and structures they'll soon have to plan for their succession.
ads11 is offline   Reply With Quote