Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 12:44   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Folks got some lead...

Otherday had been to KSRTC bustop and when i did some asking around i was told that in the dippo i might be able to find some pics. i might drop in this weekend..

anyone in Mangalore want to join me in this quest?
Wow thats great news, I too miss those old KSRTC bus snaps. Last week was in Mangalore, but his week I dont think I can make it, else I would also have joined the quest.

Lohit please do post the pics on the thread, will be eagerly waiting to watch it.
Old 11th March 2010, 12:52   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Lohith, cant help but smile on reading your post. Only on TBHP can you find nuts like us who go after pics of busses, and even ask others to join in the hunt.
One more bus fan to add to the list....

Many tell I am crazy ... but I tell them.. Its my passion

My Photos (Yeshwanth Live)
Old 11th March 2010, 12:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadri007 View Post
One more bus fan to add to the list....

Many tell I am crazy ... but I tell them.. Its my passion

My Photos (Yeshwanth Live)
Dude your photos atre amazing.
I am totally hooked to your Aero India 2009 album. Sad that you didn't take as many snaps of Sukhoi as I would have liked.
Nevertheless, extreme!
Old 11th March 2010, 13:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

Kadri, sure sir. if time permits am surely gona give a visit to the "dippo" this weekend and click some pics. am so excited about it hehe
Old 11th March 2010, 14:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Kadri, sure sir. if time permits am surely gona give a visit to the "dippo" this weekend and click some pics. am so excited about it hehe
Earlier some of the old buses of KSRTC were kept near Bendoor well depo. Not sure if they are still using it as a graveyard for old buses.

Try getting entry into Kuntikana Depo on NH17. I think here you may find some old buses also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Dude your photos atre amazing.
I am totally hooked to your Aero India 2009 album. Sad that you didn't take as many snaps of Sukhoi as I would have liked.
Nevertheless, extreme!
Thank you, Sukhoi.. just vanished in the air. so could not capture it.

Hope by next Aero India I can take a high end Camera to capture it.

Next time try to make to Aero India, its just amazing.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th March 2010 at 22:43. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 11th March 2010, 16:22   #51
BHPian

Anybody remember the CPC( Canara Public Conveyance) buses that ran on Mangalore-Mumbai and Mangalore/Udupi-Bangalore route. Those Tata-ACGL coaches introduced in mid or early 90s suddenly transformed luxury bus travel on these routes. They were also the first air conditioned coaches on this routes. Service was also punctual and professional. Sadly CPC (a company with a lot of heritage in south canara public transport) just faded out.

Sorry I think I am goint OT in this thread

Last edited by Deep Blue : 11th March 2010 at 16:23. Reason: Not the correct thread?
Old 11th March 2010, 18:26   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Anybody remember the CPC( Canara Public Conveyance) buses that ran on Mangalore-Mumbai and Mangalore/Udupi-Bangalore route. Those Tata-ACGL coaches introduced in mid or early 90s suddenly transformed luxury bus travel on these routes. They were also the first air conditioned coaches on this routes. Service was also punctual and professional. Sadly CPC (a company with a lot of heritage in south canara public transport) just faded out.
I do remember CPC, its office was opposite to PVS and it was the first to introduce Delux bus to Mumbai even before 70's i think.

They came up with a bang with ACGL buses. Same time they also had some 80+ local buses also. All disappeared since management lost intrest and they went on to real estate.

From the older times only Hanuman and Gajanana Motors survived sucessfully, other prominent operators like Shankar Vittal, Mahableshwar, SCS, etc all disappeard. Ballal is still struggeling with few buses.
Old 12th March 2010, 10:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anybody remember the CPC( Canara Public Conveyance)
Sadly CPC (a company with a lot of heritage in south canara public transport) just faded out.
Don't they still operate on goods ?
Recently i had seen CPC lorries/trucks
Old 12th March 2010, 10:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Don't they still operate on goods ?
Recently i had seen CPC lorries/trucks

yup they do, got some stuffs through them yesterday from Bangalore...

also "Bharath" travels buses were very good. i think they were the first to get the body built by "sutlej"... sadly they faded too! i dont see any buses built by sutlej either?
Old 12th March 2010, 11:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry I think I am goint OT in this thread
Continuing with the OT

CPC buses ( I remember them being red in color) were indeed the first AC buses on the BOM-MGL route. They were supposed to be safe, hence ladies if travelling alone or with kids would prefer either CPC or the good old Ghatge Patil.

Do you guys remember the old Shankar Vittal travels that used to travel between BOM-MGL. I recollect during my school days, there were primarily only two companies i.e. Ghatge Patil or Shankar Vittal (this was in the early 80s and Ballal had stopped BOM-MGL services) that used to ply BOM-MGL. Tickets used to be booked atleast a couple of months ahead of schedule to prevent getting seats over the back tire.

Those were some days. Sorry for going OT.

Last edited by f1fan : 12th March 2010 at 11:02.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:37   #56
BHPian

Again OT:

My first travel to Mumbai was in Ghatge Patil, body was buit by Ruby Mumbai. That time the Konkan railway was also not there. It used to take 24 Hrs to reach Mumbai. The drive through Khandal ghat was just scray with many trucks fallen and crushed. But it was a wonderful experience.

Most of the luxury buses of those days were built in Karur. Ganesh Travels, Ideal travels, Canara, Puttur da Muttu, East west, Canara Pinto, Anand, etc
Old 12th March 2010, 12:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
also "Bharath" travels buses were very good. i think they were the first to get the body built by "sutlej"... sadly they faded too! i dont see any buses built by sutlej either?
Mangala had taken the New Sutlej version. Had seen it some time back.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Continuing with the OT

CPC buses ( I remember them being red in color) were indeed the first AC buses on the BOM-MGL route. They were supposed to be safe, hence ladies if travelling alone or with kids would prefer either CPC or the good old Ghatge Patil.

Do you guys remember the old Shankar Vittal travels that used to travel between BOM-MGL. I recollect during my school days, there were primarily only two companies i.e. Ghatge Patil or Shankar Vittal (this was in the early 80s and Ballal had stopped BOM-MGL services) that used to ply BOM-MGL. Tickets used to be booked atleast a couple of months ahead of schedule to prevent getting seats over the back tire.

Those were some days. Sorry for going OT.

Wow ..an interesting thread
yes...GP or CPC were the preferred ones for "safe " travel and they used to take the entire 24 hours to do the Mumbai-Mng trip .

The CPC AC buses were recognisable from anywhere because of their bright colors...but I always used to sit in the drivers cabin and be awake for the entire stretch ..when even the drivers used to keep changing.

CPC and GP were usually Tata/ACGL..while the other popular ones like CPT,Vishal,Ideal used to ALL Viking,Cheetah's with awesome exhaust notes that would be worth hearing when on ghats or in cities like Pune ,Yellapur ...CPT and Vishal used to have 4 buses each in the morning and evening from both directions.

Manish ,Anand and Lobo Roadlines were known for rash drivers and accidents .I was actually in one bus which jumped off the cliff into a dry pond ...luckily all of us escaped with minor injuries...i stopped bus journeys after that for about 10 + years till the B7Rs arrived.

And yeah ..as a kid ..I always used to feel sad whenever I used to see a Mangalore bound bus .
And for many years i had always wanted to become a Mangalore bus driver ...

Another thing that i remember is how everyone in the bus would be silent whenever the bus used to do the Khandala ghat stretch ..and the long jams on the ghats ...

The way these drivers used to overtake each other on the ghats was something worth watching ...Sadly the new GQs with no oncoming traffic and the konkan railway have ended all that :(
Old 12th March 2010, 14:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

On the exhaust note i still remember the buses shooting on the shiradi but i used to like the exhaust note on idle.....
Old 12th March 2010, 14:13   #60
BANNED

I keep coming back to this thread everytime there is an update waiting to see a picture of the bus that lohith is looking for. Sadly not yet.

These buses even did the Panjim - Bangalore trip and I have a mental picture of them etched in the subconscious somewhere.

They were preferred over the Kadamba Transport Corporation (Goa State) buses.

Only issue was when they used to get to Hubli/Dharwad they used to take passengers more then the sitting capacity and then these extra and ticketless travellers (money going to driver and conductor) used to sleep in the aisle.

Most Viewed