Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:10   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmur View Post

This is really insane stretch, newly laid 4 lanes and two wheelers drive in the opposite side in the middle of the road and flash lights at fast on-coming vehicles like they can disappear out of sight in a flash.
Arun,

Remember this stretch was covered in the very early hours of the morn (4-5am), so there really aren't any wrong-side drivers to watch out for. In fact, despite the speed (which I wouldn't have noticed unless I looked), the ride is very calm, overtaking very safe.

I am not an advocate for high-speed driving, but on a drive back to BLR in early Feb, I covered the Thoppur-HSR Layout stretch in 2 hours (ETD-10.15pm, ETA-12.15am) in my scorpio and found that holding speeds of 120-130 wasn't alarming. The night rider trucks (and most buses) are very well behaved and usually stick to the middle lane; while overtaking, flash your beams to indicate you are coming through and they won't get in your way. This was exactly what this Volvo driver was doing.

Cheers,
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:03   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Then how do you think these guys cover the distance from Trivandrum to Bangalore is around 13-14 hours! The good old leylands require 16-18 hours for the distance!

The best (or the worst, as you may think) of the lot are Kerala SRTC guys - they do TVM to Bangalore in just 13 hours! They rip in every possible stretch - but still overtake with utmost caution! I traveled in one of those buses end to end, and I was not scared even in a single stretch! The driver knew the road like the back of his hand, and did every move very cautiosly!

He was surely never below 110~120kmph at most stretches!

These guys even do Trivandrum to Ernakulam in just 4 hours including a break for tea, picking up passengers, etc. Normal buses take atleast 6-7 hours for this stretch!
As long as their buses can handle it, and the braking is efficient I have no problems with them ripping. Thing is, if they have to react to unexpected situations, (they would be driving well, bu the same cannot be said of everyone else) lives of 40 odd passengers is at risk!
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:23   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Then how do you think these guys cover the distance from Trivandrum to Bangalore is around 13-14 hours! The good old leylands require 16-18 hours for the distance!

The best (or the worst, as you may think) of the lot are Kerala SRTC guys - they do TVM to Bangalore in just 13 hours! They rip in every possible stretch - but still overtake with utmost caution! I traveled in one of those buses end to end, and I was not scared even in a single stretch! The driver knew the road like the back of his hand, and did every move very cautiosly!

He was surely never below 110~120kmph at most stretches!

These guys even do Trivandrum to Ernakulam in just 4 hours including a break for tea, picking up passengers, etc. Normal buses take atleast 6-7 hours for this stretch!
I had the best bus rides in Bangalore Ernakulam/Trivandrum routes! Earlier Kalllada (a bus operator) G5 used to run run Tvm - BLR in guaranteed 14 hours. I suppose KSRTC has bettered it now.

Even normal air buses are driven flat. I used to sit awake through the night in the cabin watching the fun! There was a Tata bus with Sutlej body with Rukma from Madiwala (in BLR). That bus convinced me for the first time that Tata buses are not that slow. With poor roads some three years before it did BLR - Kottayam in 11 hours. Anyways we are getting off-topic here...
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:11   #109
BHPian

I just travelled in one of these from Bangalore to Goa. i must say the ride was just incredible. but i hate the 2+2 seat layout, it so uncomfortable.

i dont think there is a sleeper configuration for the B9R yet!
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:21   #110
BHPian

This Bus is Humongous, this is surely changing the way we travel in Public transport on Highways!
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:25   #111
BHPian

What next

What is next from VOLVO after this double axle bus ?
Old 4th April 2009, 18:26   #112
BHPian

On the Bombay-Bangalore route, does anyone know about any other operator other than SHARMA that runs the multi-axle B9R?
Old 4th April 2009, 21:33   #113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post

On the Bombay-Bangalore route, does anyone know about any other operator other than SHARMA that runs the multi-axle B9R?

Blue-Lines, but am not 100% sure of B9Rs
Old 7th April 2009, 19:15   #114
BANNED

Has anyone heard of Kesineni travels ? . I travelled from chennai to vizag . The distance was around 700 kms . The driver of the bus looked like an assian ready for the kill and he looked very confident about his weapon . The bus left chennai at 7.00 pm in the night . I was wondering if I could reach vizag by 8.00 AM in the morn as I had to catch a train to Bhubaneshwar .The bus had Voith retarders and when the bus had reached Vizag in the morning I could see that the driver was not tired or fatigued ,he was still fresh and I guess that is what makes VOLVO a VOLVO .

Before I travelled to VIzag I used to travel by my car anywhere and everywhere ,but after that fateful day , any long distance travel has to be by a VOLVO . It saves me a lot of trouble as I can enjoy my sleep with the thought that I am in a tank which is safe enough .

Why I love VOLVO is because the drivers have to compulsorily attend training programs before they can actually drive a VOLVO .
Old 13th April 2009, 11:50   #115
BHPian

Hi, Great to hear that you had traveled 700km by volvo. How the travel experience? Any rattling sound? Was A/c too cool?
Old 13th April 2009, 12:03   #116
BHPian

I travelled by B9R (Paulo travels) Bombay - Goa - Bombay some time back. The bus is huge and ride is very smooth. But the 2 + 2 sitting is definitely uncomfortable which beats the entire purpose of the bus. Leg room is very poor and cramped. The bus definitely needs 3 TV screens instead of 2.

The bus did have problem maneuvering around the city due to its length. I don't think its a major upgrade from B7R. I guess it is only suitable for busy routes where they can put more people on a single bus.
Old 13th April 2009, 18:46   #117
BHPian

I travelled in a b9r from ahmedabad to rajkot. The swing which we feel higher speeds in a b7r is much less in the b9r.Ideally the bus should have two doors since th became very difficult for the passenger sitting in last row to come out especially in the 2x2 set up
Old 21st April 2009, 19:29   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
What is next from VOLVO after this double axle bus ?
May be a proper Double decker bus with upper story for sitting and lower for sleeping. Something like this (Pics Courtesy Wikipedia)
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo Launches B9R Coach : 9400 6x2-jr_bus_kanto_neoplan_megaliner.jpg  

Volvo Launches B9R Coach : 9400 6x2-nishinihon_jr_bus_mitsubishifuso_aero_king.jpg  

Volvo Launches B9R Coach : 9400 6x2-van_hool_td925_demo_bus_0053_for_nycta.jpg  

Old 21st April 2009, 19:58   #119
Senior - BHPian

awestruck!I am sure our electrical poles will touch these double decker buses most probably in India.
Old 21st April 2009, 20:09   #120
Senior - BHPian

I found the Volvo buses quite noisy even inside and lot of vibrations in the seat back rest. The ride comfortable relative to the regular airbus but I found there is heavy pitching when the driver brakes even normallywould help if these operators also installed better seats. I think after they buy the Volvo they have very less cash to invest in some good reclining seats

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks