Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Alternative to Indica taxi?
Swift DDiS 33 15.71%
Getz CRDi 24 11.43%
WagonR LPG/CNG 46 21.90%
Santro LPG/CNG 19 9.05%
Other (please specify) 88 41.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2008, 21:41   #46
BHPian

I would vote for the Indigo XL.
Old 13th November 2008, 21:48   #47
BHPian

By looking at the responses and from the cars listed by members I think only Logan is there as a sensible replacement for Indica. But still they both are in very different segments.

Indica comes for 4 lk and logan comes for 6 lk
Old 14th November 2008, 08:29   #48
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Enough room for Indian luggage?

Friends, don't you think this would make
for an ideal taxicab for our Indian metropolises?

Sharing parts and after-sales network with what already exists, couldn't it become extremely popular?

If not Indica, what else for Taxi operators?-loganmcv.jpg
Mahindra Logan MCV

Ram
Old 14th November 2008, 10:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

in that case the indigo marina should have filled that niche. i guess the length works against it in small and tight indian roads. the indica is wide enough. longer would make it harder to slot into traffic and small turns
Old 14th November 2008, 10:30   #50
BHPian

I almost completely forgot about Logan !! I agree with Ram it would be ideal cab, but when is the estate making its way into India any news ??
Old 14th November 2008, 10:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

Even now, if Maruti launches a Versa 1.3L DDIS MJD version, they could still be a hit as an AIrport Taxi.
Old 14th November 2008, 10:39   #52

The only other car which will even make sense as a taxi for the owner,driver the consumer would be a IndigoCS TDI as apart from Initial investment in the long run maintainance and reliability is same as an inidca.
Old 14th November 2008, 10:46   #53
Senior - BHPian

Its got to be the LOGAN. Its tailor made for this market. It seems in Romania, they call it the Romanian HUMMER. The car is very tough and can stand any kind of abuse. The only reason I'm sceptical about the LOGAN is that the MAHINDRA-RENAULT patnership is Off. The LOGAN will be their first and last product
Old 14th November 2008, 11:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Howcome the Renault Logan is not in this list. This is the best car after the Tata Indica as a Taxi.

Swift is too small, ditto for WagonR.

Yes the Indigo Marina is a good option, infact many operators are using the same as taxi, but acc to me it has to be the Renault Logan.

Cheers,
AC
Old 14th November 2008, 12:16   #55
BHPian

its really interesting to see majority of members pitching for sedans to replace a hatchback in taxi segment. Thats the benchmark indica has set . It would be really interesting if we can come up with worthy diesel hatchback at that price to be used for taxi purposes and to be very frank i cannot come up with name of any hatchback which can compete with indica.In sedan ofcourse ikon tdci/indigo are worth mentioning at the moment.
Old 14th November 2008, 13:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Anyday its Logan Diesel, very good car for Taxy operators. I am impressed after travelling in that

Ravi.
Old 14th November 2008, 23:42   #57
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvation View Post
its really interesting to see majority of members pitching for sedans to replace a hatchback in taxi segment. Thats the benchmark indica has set .
India is developing fast to take her place among the progressive nations.

No nation in the prosperous developed world uses an economy subcompact hatchback for a taxi.

If not Indica, what else for Taxi operators?-taxisoutsiderailwaystn.jpg

Economy subcompact citycars or econoboxes (as they are sometimes called in Europe) are not for taxis ferrying executives from railway station/airport to hotel...

...rather they're typical for students, newly married couples and very young freshers at the beginning of their careers. Typical econoboxen(sic) are Peugeot 206, Citroen C2/C3, Renault Clio/Twingo, Fiat Cinquencento, Opel Agila/Corsa, Volkswagen Polo/Lupo/Fox, Skoda Fabia, Ford Festiva/Fiesta, Hyundai Getz, Mazda 121/Demio, Suzuki Alto/Fronte/Swift/WagonR, Hyundai Atos/Santro/I10, Daihatsu Mira/Cuore/Charade/Domino, Subaru Justy, Toyota Tercel/Yaris/Vitz/Starlet/Echo, Chevrolet Aveo/Kalos/Cruze...

And there have been bigger cabs, right here in Bombay, in my childhood days...

Ram
Old 15th November 2008, 09:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

The Swift it is for me. The problem would be the acquisition cost. On an aside, almost all the taxi-wallahs (black and yellow and Cool Cabs) I spoke to in Mumbai do not seem to like the Indica/Indigo family - Maintenance bahut zyada hai saab! Also most of the city taxi drivers did not seem to want to trade in their Premier Padminis - not because of love for their cars, but because maintaining them was really cheap.

Nice pictures there Ram! I also agree with your stance on the type of taxis reflecting our state of development. It becomes a bit of a bother trying to explain why in Jakarta and most of Indonesia you will see Toyota Corollas as taxis while in Mumbai it is the humble PremPad*.

*They are used as prem-pads too!

Last edited by typeOnegative : 15th November 2008 at 09:21. Reason: Adding more stuff.
Old 15th November 2008, 10:43   #59
BHPian

Indica/Indigo maintenance more??? thats news to me! of course, it has to be more compared to the Padmini's!

IMO, marina would be the perfect cab for carrying large amount of luggage (from airport etc) and Indigo CS would be perfect for normal city runs with none to somewhat heavy luggage.
Old 4th December 2008, 16:15   #60
BHPian

I am surprised no one has mentioned about the Omni yet. It is already used as a taxi in Goa. With the new rules in place in Mumbai, Omni seems to be the only affordable replacement for the taxiwallah.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks