Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 14:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

I see trucks plying on Bangalore roads. I do not think it is a nationwide strike is it?
Old 6th January 2009, 14:56   #17

Re: Truckers Strike-What Does it Mean to You? Reply to Thread

What it means to me is:
1. my new car will arrive late (was supposed to receive it on friday)
2. I may have to go without a car during the transit period.

thanks
Old 6th January 2009, 15:07   #18
Team-BHP Support

1) wanted to drain as much as diesel possible since i think the quality was not upto the mark, with last fill from kannur, but cant wait now since its just 1/4 tank
2) yday got a no stock board and had to come back
3) today filled up inspite of point 1)

hopefully it will end soon or else long drive later in the month will be a pain :P
Old 6th January 2009, 17:22   #19
BHPian

I drive through KR Puram everyday. It's absolute bliss when I read of a truckers strike in the morning papers!
Old 6th January 2009, 19:42   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mumbai-Pune Expressway seems a bit deserted. Trucks are lesser under normal circumstances too due to the tolls to be paid, but they are scarce now.
Truckers Strike-What Does it Mean to You?-weh-1.jpg

Truckers Strike-What Does it Mean to You?-weh-2.jpg

Truckers Strike-What Does it Mean to You?-weh-3.jpg
Old 6th January 2009, 20:41   #21
BHPian

One good thing to come out of this :
Truck free highways..heaven for driving holidays
Old 6th January 2009, 22:54   #22
SuperSyn

The strike is good. It will let to empty highways and good average speeds for the enthusiasts. This is the best time to go for that road trip.

I do not know why these people are crying about fuel prices. You are a business. Diesel costs are an input. Pass on the costs to consumers. The govt. has reduced prices recently anyway. Whiners.

Old 6th January 2009, 23:00   #23
SuperSyn

The state and central governments have the power in Essential Services Act or something like that to force essential supplies like fuel, milk, food etc. Since the government only recognizes the seriousness of an issue when the elites in Mumbai/Delhi are affected, let us wait patiently till Mumbai runs out of fuel and bollywood personalities start protesting on the streets (with candle lights).

Then the sarkar will step in and break up this strike within minutes.

Old 7th January 2009, 01:24   #24
BHPian

Its sheer blackmailing as the truckers need to understand that we have a wide fiscal deficit .We have a problem of poor quality of fuel which should be updated now as the new pollution norms are to be imposed.The government needs to spend on infrastructure and better security and for that subsidies should be reduced and so lets hope that the truckers understand.
Old 7th January 2009, 16:40   #25
BHPian

strike is killing my business...we aren't getting any supplies from the mills because the truckers unions etc are'nt even letting us use our own trucks to pick up the goods! the trucking mafia is nasty and acts like a stooge for the opposition...BJP wanted Congress to revise the rates earlier but Congress said 'closer to the elections'. Since they dont want the voters to be swayed close to the elections they have opted for 'underhanded' schemes to make sure this gets done earlier. i'm sure huge bribes were used to pressurize the unions....aarrggghhh!!! Indian Politics!!!!!
Old 7th January 2009, 18:08   #26
BHPian

This strike has only added to the problems we are facing. In Chennai the truckers had gone on strike from the 21st to the 30th of December due to the pathetic conditon of the roads here. Production in the factory will come to standstill in a few days due to the lack of raw material. I hope this is resolved at an early date.
Old 7th January 2009, 19:53   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Usually both sides are very adamant till about one week. This has been happening year after year. Thereafter the government people call the truck union leaders for talks bargain with their demands and accept one or one and a half to settle down and resume normal operations. They may now reduce the diesel prices by about Rs 3 a litre and that may end the strike.
Old 7th January 2009, 20:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

For me no production at my vendor's place as they are not getting required raw materials and packing materials for manfuacturing and we are loosing revenue due to non availability of products at our end. The strike should end sooner. If not, then it will be very difficult for all the manfacturing compaines.
Old 7th January 2009, 20:21   #29
rippergeo

I'm just hoping that they blackmail the govt sucessfully and increase the already unfair advantage that diesel enjoys!
Go Truckers!!!!

Old 7th January 2009, 22:15   #30
BHPian

I own a transport business. And my truck drivers were not willing to drive when the strike started fearing attacks like stone-throwing etc. I dont know the position as of now, but i have ordered my drivers to start operating yesterday itself and so far there aint no complaint.

I would also like to inform you that the margin in this business is very less. So if there is a strike, it hits us transporters too or in my case small time transporter with only 5 trucks. Each truck tyre costs 12,000/- (rear tyre 10x20). Isnt that insane?? And a quarterly truck road tax costs 3800/- ...followed with renewal of passing/fitness certificate,insurance etc.
I understand that there is corruption both on the part of transport union and the govt. The govt might bribe the union and keep them quiet, but the real losers frm this are people like me and the industries,traders etc.
So i hope that there is some kind of reasonable settlement.

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks