Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 12:25   #1486
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Travelled in Padikkal Isuzu from blr to kochi yesterday. Left madiwala at around 8.50 PM and reached pipeline, palarivattom by 5.35 AM. Nice comfortable ride and pickup as well.
I had traveled from Kannur to Bangalore in Padikkal Isuzu a year and a half ago. The journey was nightmarish to say the least, partly because of the seat I got and partly because of the driver who was behind the wheels that night!
They have a different kind of numbering scheme for their seats - All left side seats are numbered A1 to A16 starting from the front and right side B1 to B16. My dad who booked the tickets for me happily selected B14, thinking that it would be somewhere in the middle of the bus! Only when I boarded the bus, we realized that B14 is almost at the rear end
The driver seemed to be someone who had never driven Kannur-Bangalore section before! Unlike other regular drivers who are well aware of most of the speedbreakers/major potholes in the stretch, he was failing to even notice any of them! He was seen asking for directions at some intersections near Mysore! Reached Bangalore extremely tired, deprived of any sleep!!

Just noticed that they have withdrawn the Bangalore-Kannur service now !
Old 28th February 2012, 14:11   #1487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Came back on a Kallada B9R from Kerala on Sunday, the bus was brand new, everything in place and working. The front row had lap belts and the seats were rexine type, the good thing is that it doesn't smell like fabric seats although they get a little hotter, but that is manageable in an AC bus. Not sure if all the seats had belts, was sitting in the front row.
Which route was this? Kallada has new buses running on Bangalore-TVM, Pathanamthitta and Kodungallur routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
I had traveled from Kannur to Bangalore in Padikkal Isuzu a year and a half ago. ...Just noticed that they have withdrawn the Bangalore-Kannur service now!
Padikkal has been on-and-off on this route. They would run this route for some time, then suddenly disappear, then appear again, then disappear... and so on. The service was actually operated by Kannur based Pranam travels, with Padikkal managing the show in Bangalore.
Old 28th February 2012, 14:37   #1488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Which route was this? Kallada has new buses running on Bangalore-TVM, Pathanamthitta and Kodungallur routes.
The bus was enroute from Pathanamthitta, I went by cab to KTM to board the bus, only to see it return to Palai(hometown) then - Thodupuzha -Muvattupuzha- Angamaly. I hear they run this route only if there are seats taken in Palai/Thodupuzha, otherwise its MC road from Ettumanoor.
Old 28th February 2012, 14:49   #1489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The bus was enroute from Pathanamthitta, I went by cab to KTM to board the bus, only to see it return to Palai(hometown) then - Thodupuzha -Muvattupuzha- Angamaly. I hear they run this route only if there are seats taken in Palai/Thodupuzha, otherwise its MC road from Ettumanoor.
I guess you are from Pala (going by the description) - How did you book this ticket? Through the website or from an agent? In either case, how come you did not know about this service touching Pala?

Anyways, now you have a direct option to your hometown
Old 28th February 2012, 17:02   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Just travelled couple of days back in a VRL Isuzu from Blr - Chennai. The pickup was punctual at Madiwala while the actual service starts from Anandrao circle. This was my first experience in a Isuzu and I must say I was positively impressed with the best legroom that I ever had in a long time IMO better than even the club class (not exactly measured though) though felt the seat width was slightly narrower. The overhead bins were also very sleek almost aircraft like. There was some blaring movie playing till Hosur. Also I was mighty impressed with the pickup and power the Isuzu engine packed and felt similar to Volvos in road munching abilities.

The driver shot to his destination right from the word go. He was speeding like nobody's business, braking hard and wafting through the traffic. Definitely very jerky drive. He was honking continuously on the trucks in front and here i would say that though the engine noise and vibrations were low for a rear engined bus, the noise did filter through and all the honking did make it an uncomfortable experience to sleep well. Also the driver cut off the A/c around an hour before Chennai making it stuffy for all. On insistance by passengers he again switched it and off again. Don't know who has instructed him to do so!

All this quick drive resulted in the bus reaching Chennai by 5 AM and dropped just before Koyembedu near the Toyota showroom. The bus was maintained ok but had cracked windshields all over. Wonder why do they not change it even after such damage. Will it not be a safety hazard to passengers in case there is another hit on the weak spots.

Overall the experience was good in this bus but for the jerky and noisy driving. Hope there is some feedback mechanism to get this corrected.
Travelled by VRL Isuzu AC from Chennai to Bangalore on 26 Feb 2012 and was a good experience overall...

Departure at 11PM from Central and the bus reported at ~1050 PM - AC was already running (bus came from T Nagar I understand) and seats were very comfortable - excellent recline... Seeing such reclining seats after a long gap.. These were similar to the seats that KPN had in their 2+1 Semi Sleeper Service some years ago on the Coimbatore- Bangalore route, which have now been discontinued to make way for AC Sleeper coaches. The Isuzu was executive seats though and not semi sleeper. Ample leg room and much more space / recline compared to the Volvo seats.

Seat numbers were funny though; I was seated in Seats 12-13 which was actually behind seats 14-15 !!! Some error in pasting the stickers indicating seat numbers I would assume.

Left Central at around 1120PM and headed to Koyambedu from where the bus finally left ~12 AM. The engine of the bus appears to be very powerful and the driver was easily overtaking multi axle volvos and Mercs on the highway. However, there was significant noise from the suspension which was making its way into the cabin. The driver maintained good speeds from the outset and did not hesitate in blaring the horn to get the slow moving trucks to give way. AC was maintained throughout at comfortable (slightly cold) temperatures and a comfortable blanket was provided. No water though. And no halts anywhere even for nature's calls !! No movies / music which was a good thing for me !!

Was dropped off at Silk Board at 5 AM.. Overall a decent experience and will use them again. One grievance is the pick up point at Central - no waiting seats / room whatsoever and everyone had to stand in the footpath to fall prey to the millions of mosquitoes there.. Cant imagine standing there in rains to board the bus. Some kind of seating / waiting arrangements should be provided.
Old 28th February 2012, 17:04   #1491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post

Padikkal has been on-and-off on this route. They would run this route for some time, then suddenly disappear, then appear again, then disappear... and so on. The service was actually operated by Kannur based Pranam travels, with Padikkal managing the show in Bangalore.
Padikkal sold off the two buses which were running on Blr-Pathanamthitta route. Heard that one of the buses was having mechanical issues prompting them to take both the buses off service. They brought out two buses of Pranam Travels (Blr-Kannur) and these buses serve Blr-Pathanamthitta route now. These buses are re-named as Padikkal now.

Also, Two buses of Kallada G4, which were running Blr-Gvr route is also sold to No:1 Air.
Old 28th February 2012, 17:21   #1492
Senior - BHPian

SRM New Bus terminal

This is not exactly a bus travel review. But about the newly setup bus terminal at Chennai.
Its known to all that Omni bus terminal is already crowded (actually it seems crowded but still if managed effectively it can still serve better) and it
takes so much time to enter and leave the terminal. Basic faclilities like toilets and drinking water are always not so good and food prices are very high
for the quality of food available there.

And during rainy season, nothing much to comment as there will always be water (your foot will be completely immersed) stagnant, making a huge irritant for people with heavy luggage.
Also auto's donot go till the Omni busstand and you may need to walk for atlest 500m from dropping point.

Looking at all this, SRM has wisely taken a decision of setting up its own bus terminal for departure of all its services. This is strategically located near
to Mofussil bus stand in the main road.

Sunday, I was there and was happy to see the kind of arrangements they have made.
-Waiting hall with TV and drinking water
-Clean rest rooms -
-Public announcement system to announce departure
-Seperate booking counter.

This seems to be a rented place and so all the civil works are done in a temporary manner(read as truss with metal sheet work). But they serve the purpose better.
From this SRM has a convenience of boarding and may attract a considerable number of commuters.
In past decade KPN was the leader in TN as it had a first mover advantage in connecting many Tire II and Tire III cities in TN with Chennai. Now with SRM pumping lots of money for fleet expansion and other facilities, this is a company to watch in the coming decade.

Intrestingly KPN and Rathimeena have a piece of land just opposite to this and currently its used as a parking lot and as a maintenance shed. This can be turned into a proper bus terminal, but let us wait till something happens.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 11:44   #1493
BHPian

Interesting post rearding the SRM terminal.

KPN I think has a similar set up in WIlson Garden and Kalasipalayam offices in BLR.

One of the earliest "terminals" was actually a multi operator one set up at Jos Junction for buses handled by Ensign Agencies including those of Shama , Conti (when they were operating), Supaa etc. Very professional set up.
Old 29th February 2012, 13:59   #1494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
One of the earliest "terminals" was actually a multi operator one set up at Jos Junction for buses handled by Ensign Agencies including those of Shama , Conti (when they were operating), Supaa etc. Very professional set up.
This was the only professional setup in Kochi. SMP, Puzhakkadavil, EssBee, Kallada G4 etc are some additions. First Volvo from Ernakulam also was inaugurated and operated from here.

I think they use this terminal only for 9pm Bangalore service (Shama) presently as the cops are not allowing buses during day time. Is there any change?
Old 29th February 2012, 13:59   #1495
BHPian

KPN also had such a setup in their Venkatnarayana Road office in TNagar, Chennai. This was way back in 1999 when travelling by Airbus was considered a Luxury when compared to HiTech buses. I always used to look forward to going by their buses which used to be maintained well, were always painted White and most had their Reg No as 9199.
Old 29th February 2012, 14:09   #1496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I think they use this terminal only for 9pm Bangalore service (Shama) presently as the cops are not allowing buses during day time. Is there any change?
Status quo.

Only Shama is handled there. I think Supaa's morning EKM-CBE service also comes here - not sure though.

KPN's Ernakulam-Madurai, Ernakulam-Chennai, Trivandrum-Bangalore and Ernakulam-Bangalore buses also come to MG Road (KPN's office is near Hotel Woodlands). Kallada's Ernakulam-Madurai and Ernakulam-Bangalore (9.30pm Non-Stop B9R) also depart from MG Road (Kallada office near Iyyattil Junction).

Omni buses are not permitted on MG Road during day hours. The common point of buses departing over the day is now at Vyttila. There is another "hub" - near Kadavanthra Police Station. Its a godforsaken place - autos or personal vehicles are the only provision to reach this place if you have luggage. For people without luggage, get off near Indoor stadium, and wall all the way (close to a km).
Old 29th February 2012, 14:32   #1497
Senior - BHPian

SRS travels and VRL have their own terminals at Ananda rao Circle, Bangalore. Both are side by side, only separated by a hotel building. They are pretty big with space for around 10-15 buses and seem to have sufficient amenities like food stall, an ice-cream center, toilets etc. During daytime, they keep the area closed with an iron chain hung horizontally at the entrance so that no other private vehicle uses it as a parking lot!
Old 29th February 2012, 15:08   #1498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
During daytime, they keep the area closed with an iron chain hung horizontally at the entrance so that no other private vehicle uses it as a parking lot!
I have seen VRL gates opened usually as some buses depart during day time. Also the gates are mostly open may be because they have a booking counter and parcel handling at this premises.
Old 29th February 2012, 15:21   #1499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I have seen VRL gates opened usually as some buses depart during day time. Also the gates are mostly open may be because they have a booking counter and parcel handling at this premises.
I pass by that terminal everyday morning on the way to my office, and have found that to be closed most of the times. It is just a crude set up, with an iron chain. There is a portion kept open for people to walk in to reach the booking counter that is inside the terminal.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 29th February 2012 at 15:22. Reason: typo
Old 29th February 2012, 15:34   #1500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
KPN also had such a setup in their Venkatnarayana Road office in TNagar, Chennai. This was way back in 1999 when travelling by Airbus was considered a Luxury when compared to HiTech buses. I always used to look forward to going by their buses which used to be maintained well, were always painted White and most had their Reg No as 9199.
At VN road its not exactly a bus stand but a properly laid office with rest rooms, waiting hall etc.

In fact I used to board from that office till I was in Mambalam and till the service was operated from there (now the Palani/Pollachi service is not operated from there and so I need to go Omni busstand)

The reg numbers are not only with 9199 but with all the combi's of three 9's and one 1.

Infact many of the mobile numbers of KPN manager's ends with these numbers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks