Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 01:18   #1756
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
What are the gear levels mentioned ? Is it P N A M or R N A M. And while I guess P or N could refer to Park or Reverse, what does A and M correspond to ?
Automatic mode and Manual shifting mode?
Old 30th May 2012, 06:25   #1757
Team-BHP Support

I had spotted a iShift Automatic Volvo bus last evening at Madiwala. It didnt belong to SRM travels.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:17   #1758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
What are the gear levels mentioned ? Is it P N A M or R N A M. And while I guess P or N could refer to Park or Reverse, what does A and M correspond to ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Automatic mode and Manual shifting mode?
R= Reverse
N=Neutral
A=Automatic
M=Manual

E=Economy
P= Performance

IIRC, remember reading about Volvo trucks which have a one step further P+ which means extra performance.E is usually engaged when driving constant speeds over large intervals of time and the P is engaged during ghat climbs/hilly terrain drives.The + and - buttons are used to override the Ishift ops and is used to suddenly reduce or increase the rpm
Old 30th May 2012, 11:44   #1759
Senior - BHPian

I think I-Shift can fill the fuel efficiency gap between Volvo and Merc to some extent.

Let us see how many operators prefer to run on P mode
Old 30th May 2012, 12:28   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
M=Manual
But I don't see a gear stick for this mode. Or does it have the pedal shift like F1?
Old 30th May 2012, 12:48   #1761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
But I don't see a gear stick for this mode. Or does it have the pedal shift like F1?
I guess it comes with a pedal shift as there are no clutch pedals on this.
Old 30th May 2012, 12:49   #1762
BHPian

I-shift allows the vehicle to select the appropriate gear depending on the vehicle load and other parameters. Below are the pictures from the i-shift manual and this should clear the doubts.

Intercity Bus travel reviews-ishift.jpg

Intercity Bus travel reviews-ishift01.jpg

Intercity Bus travel reviews-ishift1.jpg

Intercity Bus travel reviews-ishift2.jpg

Intercity Bus travel reviews-ishift3.jpg

I have the manual and the video with me, but cannot upload the entire document due to size restrictions.

Last edited by A350XWB : 30th May 2012 at 12:50.
A350XWB is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 09:12   #1763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I had spotted a iShift Automatic Volvo bus last evening at Madiwala. It didnt belong to SRM travels.
KPN, Sharma and National too have launched iShift buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I guess it comes with a pedal shift as there are no clutch pedals on this.
For the manual gear change, there is a "="/"-" button on the right side of the gear knob (a small grey coloured button can be seen in the image).
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 05:50   #1764
BHPian

Guys, just wanted to know about your toughts and reviews about Volvo Multi Axle Sleepers(2+1) if introduced in Kerala sector. (BKR-TVM, BLR-EKM.)
Old 1st June 2012, 09:32   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold class View Post
Guys, just wanted to know about your toughts and reviews about Volvo Multi Axle Sleepers(2+1) if introduced in Kerala sector. (BKR-TVM, BLR-EKM.)

It will be good a option for frequent travelers.

We all know that Volvo is in the Indian market for 10 yrs. They have revolutionized the intercity travel and is now synonymous for travel comfort. Recently , Mbenz tried to compete with volvo in the market and I feel , they are not able to make an impact.

Do you all feel whether volvo can expect stiff competition from Benz or any other manufactures in the future.

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st June 2012 at 11:51. Reason: Please read rule 5b
Old 1st June 2012, 09:40   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
I have never travelled on the sectors that you have mentioned but travelled Mum-Goa on a Volvo Multi Axle sleeper.
Because of the twisting nature on NH 17 and the ghats en-route, the bus swayed a lot especially folks sleeping in the top berths felt it more and this lead to a lot of people vomitting
This might be bcos of the tall stature of Volvo bus.

If BLR-TVM or EKM is a relatively straight road like MUM-BLR then I feel it would not be an issue.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by f1fan : 1st June 2012 at 09:44.
Old 1st June 2012, 09:41   #1767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
We all know that Volvo is in the Indian market for 10 yrs. They have revolutionized the intercity travel and is now synonymous for travel comfort. Recently , Mbenz tried to compete with volvo in the market and I feel , they are not able to make an impact.

Do you all feel whether volvo can expect stiff competition from Benz or any other manufactures in the future.
Of course.

Mercedes Benz is already into the inter-city bus market and their buses are quite common now. MBenz buses haven't yet been proven to be better than Volvo; probably that's why they haven't made that "impact" yet. But, you see tons of them on the road.

Corona operates luxury a/c buses but most of theirs are sleeper coaches so not exactly a direct competition to Volvo.

SRS Travels runs only Tata Marco Polo A/c buses which are like a poor man's goat.

So, plenty competition there.
Old 1st June 2012, 09:48   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Of course.

Mercedes Benz is already into the inter-city bus market and their buses are quite common now. MBenz buses haven't yet been proven to be better than Volvo; probably that's why they haven't made that "impact" yet. But, you see tons of them on the road.

Corona operates luxury a/c buses but most of theirs are sleeper coaches so not exactly a direct competition to Volvo.

SRS Travels runs only Tata Marco Polo A/c buses which are like a poor man's goat.

So, plenty competition there.
Apart from MB, there is no manufactres with prodcuts which can compete with B7R or B9R. Even MB is not able to compete with Volvo and is clearly shown in the fleets owned by Kallada,Shama,Sharma,Bharati etc.

Is there any plan by Tata or AL to compete with B7R or B9R ?

Regards,
Gopi
Old 1st June 2012, 19:24   #1769
BHPian

The well known KTC group based in Calicut, joins the Volvo league with 2 brand new B9R i-shifts. It seems, KTC has some aggressive plans for the passenger intercity transport segment in Kerala. KTC has become the first Kerala based operator to have an i-shift, meanwhile, SRM had already registered two buses with Trivandrum RTO. Surprisingly, KTC may be among the first to get 9100!
Old 2nd June 2012, 02:16   #1770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Is there any plan by Tata or AL to compete with B7R or B9R ?
Can't remember where, but I've read that AL has plans to revive its Luxura bus, based on the Irizar InterCentury coach.

TM has already unveiled Paradiso G7, a multi-axle bus, in the recently concluded Auto Expo 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
SRS also has Volvo multi-axle buses. They use it in Bangalore-Mumbai route, I guess. Not sure about it though. I have seen one or two of them in Bangalore.

It's not Tata Marcopolo, but Tata-Hispano Divo. I wouldn't even compare it with Volvo, or for that matter any front-engined AC bus. Had just one experience, and that was enough to deter me from travelling in it again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks