Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 09:53   #1786
BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Kozhikode Trivandrum Day services will be a tough one for KTC as now there are two Jan Shatabdi trains with a jouney time of 7hr 15/7hr 30 (via EKM and Kottayam). This will be hard to beat what with the road traffic being what is in NH 47/NH 17during day. Night services should work though.Howver the afternoon train leaves at 1330 both sides. so a 3.30 PM departure may I guess still work if it reaches Calicut/Trivandrum by 11 which may still be difficult. I feel the better option will be Trivandrum-Kasargod or Mangalore one via NH and the other via MC road. Just speculating!!!
Old 4th June 2012, 16:16   #1787
Senior - BHPian

Completely forgot posting about this one:

Had traveled from Bangalore to Thrissur by Shama's Big Bus on May 26, 2012. I booked the ticket on May 25th night (got it just by chance). Shama's portal as well as Redbus was showing that all buses on the route were full - but Via.com showed two seats to be available for Shama (they were selling the tickets as "Sree Krishna Travels" - but the pickup point and timing revealed that the bus was Shama). I booked through Via - the ticket cost me Rs. 1100 for Bangalore-Thrissur (Shama charges only Rs. 1000 when booked directly through their office/portal). These days, tickets to Mumbai (almost double the distance as compared to Thrissur) sell cheaper!!

The bus was to leave Madivala at 2130hrs - I headed to their office directly from Office (in Chikkabanavar - faaar away in north-western Bangalore). I left office at 1730, and reached Madiwala at 2015hrs!! The distance is around 30kms!! I directly headed to the Shama office, just to make sure that my booking was valid - the guy at the office issued me a boarding pass at 2030hrs itself. I headed out for dinner after getting my pass.

When I returned to their office, I found that there was some confusion - their Pathanamthitta bus (2000hrs from Madiwala) had not yet left! Passengers were told that the scheduled bus had a breakdown, and a replacement is on the way from Kalasipalya. The replacement bus came at 2100hrs, and left soon after. There was no sign of my bus even at 2130hrs. The guy at the counter said, it is on the way.

I just walked out of the office to find a Shama B9R parked at the petrol pump near by, getting attended by some mechanics - that was the Pathanamthitta bus, which would now work the Ernakulam schedule!! I was a bit worried - will it make it to the destination without another breakdown??

Boarding commenced at 2150hrs. The bus was KA-01-AA-13 - the first B9R of Shama. It had some 4.5lakh kms on the odo. The interiors did not appear well kept. I took my seat (#30) quickly - my co-passenger also joined in soon. A while after I settled down, another gentleman came claiming my seat to be allotted to him. Both of us had the same seat numbers in the boarding pass! The travels' agent in the bus allotted another seat to him and settled the matter.

WE started off at 2201hrs - 30 minutes late already. The bus was a bit noisy - the engine could be heard clearly at my seat (9th row). There was a lot of noise from the suspension as well.

The driver was fast right from the beginning - but not rash like the Viji guy. The bus stopped for a pick-up near Narayana Hrudayalaya as well, from where a couple of passenger got in. I slept even before the bus crossed Hosur - woke up briefly when the bus stopped for toll at some place after Salem. I vaguely remember the bus stopping for a break in between (not sure where it was).

I woke up just when the bus approached Mannuthy - that was my longest sleep in a bus for sure. Did not even realise when the bus hit those bad patches at Kuthiran. The bus stopped at Mannuthy at 0510hrs. The cleaner shouted out "Thrissur", instead of "Mannuthy" - I smelt something wrong now. Headed straight to the driver and asked if he would drop inside the town - he replied "No".

I had cross checked with the Shama office in Madiwala before boarding if the bus would drop in the town, for which they replied yes. Now this driver was planning to unload passengers headed to the town on the bypass itself. I was not ready to buy his story, and stood adamant that he would have to drop me inside the town. The cleaner shouted back in Kannada - now another town bound passenger joined me, and we both started back in Malayalam. The driver spoke in Malayalam. The cleaner claimed that they (the crew) were not responsible for what their office guys say - waw! whattaa logic

He (the driver) asked the cleaner to send us to the town in some other bus - which the cleaner wasn't ready to. The confusion continued - I was not ready to budge. Finally, he left Mannuthy at 0520 and headed to the town. We (the two of us who protested) we dropped at Thrissur Round exactly at 0530. (There were lots of passengers bound to the town, who did not protest - hence they were off-loaded at the bypass itself!!)

During the journey, I was told by my co-passenger that they were made to take a rick from Kalasipalya to Madiwala. The office guys in Kalasipalya claimed that the bus left from there at 8pm and the passengers were late! So unprofessional of Shama - they had bad repute before they brought the B9Rs. They were nice for some time - and are now back to their old antics.

Their maintenance is really poor, and their staff behave even poor. Promising something when selling the ticket and finally the passenger ends up in something else. Very bad experience - I'll surely think twice before booking Shama again. Kallada and Kallada G4 are better for sure.

Last edited by binaiks : 4th June 2012 at 16:17.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 17:50   #1788
BHPian

Although most operators advertise their originating/terminating point of their buses in Kalasipalayam, if you are travelling to Trichur or Kochi, the only operator you can really be sure of which will do so 100% is Sharma since their headoffice is in Kalasipalayam and all their buses originate/termiante from there. They have a parking area as well nearby. The two other major operators from there are National and SRS neither of whom operate to Kochi. SRS garage is next to KPN at Wlson Garden but all their buses come to Kalasipalayam which is their main office while all except a few late night departures of KPN originate from Wilsom Garden.

With any other operatore there is every chance you will face the same ordeal faced by Binaik's co-passenger, being dumped at the last minute at Madivala or told at the last minute the bus will start from there and to make your own way. I have been dumped twice by SPS (their garage is near Wilson garden) . This is not amusing if you stay in the Cantonment/Mekhri Circle area and your bus from Kerala is reaching Madivala ater 7.30 AM which happens many a time!!! Hence nowadays my preferred operator despite its slowness is KaSRTC since the drop off at BLR is always Majestic (that they advertise their last stop as Shanti Nagar but doesnt go there most of the time is another matter!)
Old 4th June 2012, 21:06   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
With any other operatore there is every chance you will face the same ordeal faced by Binaik's co-passenger, being dumped at the last minute at Madivala or told at the last minute the bus will start from there and to make your own way.
Shama's parking is near Urvashi Theater (near Lalbagh), and their buses originate from Kalasipalayam. This time, what happened was that the bus scheduled to operate the Ernakulam service was rushed to Madiwala to run the Pathanamthitta service. Although it was Shama's fault that they could not pick passengers from Kalasipalya, they decided to put the blame on the passenger for "coming late" - even when the passenger was well before the advertised departure time! It is a different matter as to why the passenger did not create a scene
Old 5th June 2012, 11:12   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Shama's parking is near Urvashi Theater (near Lalbagh), and their buses originate from Kalasipalayam. This time, what happened was that the bus scheduled to operate the Ernakulam service was rushed to Madiwala to run the Pathanamthitta service. Although it was Shama's fault that they could not pick passengers from Kalasipalya, they decided to put the blame on the passenger for "coming late" - even when the passenger was well before the advertised departure time! It is a different matter as to why the passenger did not create a scene
I have been out of the Blore bus scene for a quite a long time and so not really aware of the happenings,I was more than a regular on all the Blore-Thrissur buses for more than a decade till such time when I moved to Hyd,but I would love to know what led to the death of Puzhekadavil?I was on their inaugural service after the Sleigh travels guy booked me on it saying there was a new bus starting service that day.It was one hell of a journey.It was the pre-AC and pre-volvo days and the bus departed on time,stopped for dinner on time and then had a breakdown before Mettur,repaired it and then after Bhavani,a contessa overtook the bus at a crazy speed and lost control and the bus driver went and rear-ended the car.The people in the car got injured but what followed was shocking,they got out of the car and with bleeding hands and faces,they left the car and ran away.We all got down and look into the car and we were shocked at the sight,the car was loaded with cash,choppers,sickles and guns.All of us were shocked out of our wits and with a broken bus we drove all the way till Thrissur,so I would like to know what caused the death of Puzhekadavil ultimately,was it operating losses?Any gossip on this?I always preferred Puzhekadavil over Kallada in their heydays(the days when they had those big designs staring at you painted on their windows!)
Old 5th June 2012, 15:41   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Traveled from Bangalore to Kochi on last Friday. I had to handover a document to my friend at Mysore bus station hence opted for KeSRTC Bangalore - Kottayam Super Deluxe leaving Satellite bus station at 3.45pm.

Bus started late by 10 mins waiting for a passenger and reached Mysore BS at 6.50. Stopped there for just 2 mins to board few passengers and had dinner break at Gundulpet. Entered forest check post at 8.45, Perinthalmanna (diesel) at mid night and reached Trichur bus stand at 1.10am.

The drivers were rash and too fast for the narrow roads. They never bothered about passenger comfort and were looking to reach Kottayam a minute early.

I got down at Trichur and continued my journey to Kochi in Bangalore - Ernakulam SE (1pm dep, via Calicut) at 2am and reached home at 3.15.

Overall, never recommended for someone looking to sleep. The road condition via Nilambur is overall good except for some small stretches.

Last edited by coolclouds : 5th June 2012 at 15:42.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:16   #1792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Traveled from Bangalore to Kochi on last Friday. I had to handover a document to my friend at Mysore bus station hence opted for KeSRTC Bangalore - Kottayam Super Deluxe leaving Satellite bus station at 3.45pm.
I had planned many times to take this service and infact had queried this on the same forum and remeber Binaiks repling that the scheduled arrival at Trichut for this bus is 3 AM. So looks like you reached a whopping 2 hours early!!!

Now I guess I will give this one a miss, since while I am all for an early arrival at home, getting down at Angamaly at 2 AM is stretching things a little too far! The best option still remains the 1815 Thiruvalla Super Deluxe for an early arrival.

Also SRS has started a Non AC 2x2 to Kottarakkara via Perumbavur,Kottayam leaving Kalasipalayam at 1715. Will try this out some time as it shows an Angamaly arrival at 4 AM.
Old 5th June 2012, 17:14   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Entered forest check post at 8.45,
Wonder what would be the fate of passengers if the bus gets stuck in some traffic somewhere and gets delayed by 15-20 minutes? Once the forest gate close at 9, they will have to wait at the check post till the next day morning 6 AM. really scary!! In this context, taking dinner break at Gundlupet also seems to be risky!

Can anyone list out those services of KeSRTC and KaSRTC which have forest permission? Saw a post by Binai (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post2381139) but looks like this needs to be updated.
Old 5th June 2012, 17:30   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had planned many times to take this service
Yes, this bus is too early. A techie sat next to me was regular in this service and as per him, it reaches Kottayam around 4am on weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Wonder what would be the fate of passengers if the bus gets stuck in some traffic somewhere and gets delayed by 15-20 minutes?
I think this is why they break at Gundulpet. We saw the 4pm dep Munnar super deluxe bus passing while we stopped at Gundulpet.
Old 5th June 2012, 19:45   #1795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
But I would love to know what led to the death of Puzhekadavil? Ultimately,was it operating losses? Any gossip on this?
I'm not sure [so technically it could be gossip], but from what I know the group was primarily into 'Abkari' business in Karnataka and/or Kerala. When the Govt. banned arrack in Kar and Ker, they suffered hefty losses which left them with no money to continue their bus services. A friend of mine, had bought 2 of their buses and used to ply them on special days in Tsr-Blore route.

He told me that, during one such trip, the Karnataka RTO even seized one of these buses for some non payment of dues y the original owner , since he was also running them under the same Puzhekadavil name initially.

I'm sure Binai or GoldClass will be to confirm this.

Also at that point one story we heard regularly was that, both Puzhekadavil and Kallada were running the buses not for any gain, but for tax benefits by offsetting losses into their more profitable liquor business (and some evil minds also accuse them of illegal transportation of goods/ sales tax evasion etc). But going by Suresh Kallada's present business portfolio, buses have indeed become one of their top priorities.

Last edited by autotranny : 5th June 2012 at 19:49.
Old 5th June 2012, 20:07   #1796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had planned many times to take this service and infact had queried this on the same forum and remeber Binaiks repling that the scheduled arrival at Trichut for this bus is 3 AM. So looks like you reached a whopping 2 hours early!!!
Drivers from Kottayam are really rash. The other bus (06.00pm Super Express via Hosur) is also very rash - to the extent that they do Bangalore-Thrissur in under 8 hours. Drivers from Thrissur are fast, but not rash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Wonder what would be the fate of passengers if the bus gets stuck in some traffic somewhere and gets delayed by 15-20 minutes? Once the forest gate close at 9, they will have to wait at the check post till the next day morning 6 AM. really scary!! In this context, taking dinner break at Gundlupet also seems to be risky!
This particular bus has a Forest Pass - it can go through even if its a bit late. The Bangalore-Kottayam and Bangalore-Thrissur Super Deluxes (both via Nilambur) have forest pass, while in the opposite direction, Kottayam-Bangalore and Guruvayur-Bangalore have forest pass.

On the Kottayam route - To the best of my knowledge, only the Bangalore-Kozhikode Super Express (2000hrs from either end, IIRC) have forest pass.

About Karnataka SRTC - there is a lot of ambiguity. One Bangalore-Kozhikode-Bangalore Airavat and one Bangalore-Kozhikode AC sleeper passes through Wayanad at night. Not sure about their services through Nilambur (they've cancelled most of their night services on their route.
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 20:38   #1797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This particular bus has a Forest Pass - it can go through even if its a bit late.

On the Kottayam route - To the best of my knowledge, only the Bangalore-Kozhikode Super Express (2000hrs from either end, IIRC) have forest pass.
I know that another service of KeSRTC - the 2345 Super deluxe airbus starting from Satelite bus stand has forest permission. One of my relative had recently traveled by this bus from Bangalore to Kozhikode. This I think is the fastest KeSRTC bus from Bangalore to Kozhikode. Leaves usually by 0000 hrs and reaches Kozhikode by 0630-0700.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 5th June 2012 at 20:53.
Old 5th June 2012, 22:29   #1798
BHPian

Quote:
Their plan is Kozhikode-Trivandrum (day services). They are getting two Volvo 9100s as well (they are among the launch customers). They have not really finalised the routes.
The routes have been announced and they have already started their own website, be it with some plagiarised pictures of Luxuria in their gallery. Here is the link to the site .:: KTC Bus ::.. As of now there are no bookings possible.

The routes are :

Calicut - Chennai
Ekm - Chennai
Coimbatore - Chennai ( this could be the same bus as above)
Blore - Chennai (this is a surprise)

I sincerely hope that they carry on their old red and white colour scheme on their Volvos too.

Last edited by autotranny : 5th June 2012 at 22:49. Reason: updated info obtained
Old 6th June 2012, 09:06   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I sincerely hope that they carry on their old red and white colour scheme on their Volvos too.
The routes are very interesting - am a bit concerned about those routes working out, since EKM-Chennai already has six operators (Kallada, Parveen, SRM, KPN, Sona and Tippusultan - the first two go through Pondy).

I am not very sure of the Kozhikode-Chennai route - that route has only Kallada. SRM ran for a very short time as well.

About the livery - you are in for some disappointment.. they've chosen a golden colour for their bus.

Just a hunch.. may be the Calicut-Chennai bus is via Bangalore. The CBE-Chennai is probably the EKM-Chennai bus itself. They are getting only 4 buses now - 2 B9Rs and 2 Volvo 9100s.

Attaching a picture of their bus - received this photo from a friend, who is related to the KTC Family.
Attached Thumbnails
Intercity Bus travel reviews-ktc-intercity.jpg  

binaiks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 09:32   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
The routes are very interesting - am a bit concerned about those routes working out, since EKM-Chennai already has six operators (Kallada, Parveen, SRM, KPN, Sona and Tippusultan - the first two go through Pondy).
Tppu Sultan operates a non AC service and I recently saw their bus. Looked quote battered from outside. They are one of those operators who are around for a long time but do not seem to have more than one or two routes. During the late 1990s these guys were operarting on Chennai Trivandrum. I think this service still runs as well as a couple of other non ac services to Nagercoil. But they are not a competition for KTC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks