Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 09:43   #2116
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Schedule is on time till now. The only bottle neck is the border and rest will be fine. There will be multiple boarding points at Sulthan Bathery, Kalpetta but mostly it will be done in a few minutes.
She finally reached Kozhikode at 2310, around 25 minutes behind schedule. They had slowed down considerably after Vythiri due to heavy rains, hence this delay. Overall, the journey was quite comfortable it seems.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:05   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Kallada's new Mercedes Benz Sleeper bus...The way the bus has been built/furnished, did not seem very safe to me.
I think the bus construction was a factor in this accident. This bus was not designed to be a sleepr. The double births on top made the center of gravity higher and increased the probability of toppling over sideways. The drivers inexperience of handling such buses might have added to this. Some where read, Kallada is planning to have more such buses. Hope this will be an eye opener for the operator. If they really need a sleeper go for the proven sleepers from Veera/Prakash.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 12:36   #2118
BHPian

Travelled to Kerala over the weekend and here's my review of the journey

Onward: 10 Aug 2012
Bangalore to Kannur; KaSRTC 2000 Airavat

To start with, the bus reached the bus stand only at around 2030 hours on Friday, apparently because it was stuck in traffic. Was held up in the platform behind some 2100 departures and eventually left Shanti Nagar at 910 PM, a good one hour + late. At the outset, the driver was cribbing about the road closure near Iritty because of the rain and hence the bus will go through Mananthavady. He also proclaimed with pride that he did not know Malayalam and did have any clue of the route and hence was asking passengers if anyone knew this route !!

Got stuck in further traffic at Mysore road bus stand and eventually left the terminus well past 10 PM - stopped at Chennapatna Kamath around 1130 PM and reached Mysore by 1230 AM. From here on, the driver did not know which route to take and kept flagging down trucks / buses on the opposite side to find out. The bus took the route which goes through the Nagarhole sanctuary - reached here around 330 AM only to find out that the route is closed in the night and will open only at 6 AM. Wasted 2.5 hours here.. But here's the positive - once the route opened, we went through the sanctuary and managed to see several elephants, deer and other wild animals. A guided tour of the sanctuary in a Volvo !!!

Reached Mananthavady around 745 AM - the driver had practically zero idea of driving in the Kerala ghats and was struggling to steer the bus on hairpin curves and in the narrow roads. Again missed the route to Kannur and ended up in Thalassery and finally was dropped off at Kannur at 11 AM ! Over 14 hours for a 350 odd km stretch.

The bus was one of the first gen B7Rs and was well beyond its good days.. creaking sounds, non functional reclining seats and AC vents were common across the bus. Wonder how KaSRTC sends such drivers who know nothing of the topography or the local language on inter city routes.. Neither the driver nor the conductor were helpful or affable. Overall a miserable experience and will evaluate other options for this sector. Later was informed that the Golden Travels volvo took an alternative route and reached Kannur by 7 AM, on time ! Will reconsider KaSRTC for this sector

Does anyone know if other operators have Volvos on this route - earlier Kallada had a Volvo through Calicut which does not seem to be operational now. There was another operator called KRMS, dont see them anywhere now.

Return: 14 Aug 2012
Thrissur to Bangalore KaSRTC 2131 Airavat Multi Axle

Reached the bus stand an hour early as our other planned activities got over earlier than anticipated and was shocked to see the state of the KeSRTC bus stand at Thrissur. The entire terminus was stinking, no proper seats to sit, no fans, garbage all around, toilets with stench that will embarass even the Indian Railways ! Now I realize how much better the basic infrastructure in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu is. Shanti Nagar bus stand even has AC lounges for Airavat / Merc travelers! The bus stands at Chennai / Coimbatore / Mysore / Madurai etc are so much better and have far better facilities compared to Kerala.

Bus came in at 2115 hours and left dot on time - had ~25-30 passengers and the driving was fast but not rash or sedate. Played some pleasing Malayalam music on the FM for a while till Wadakancherry. The bus had ~1.25 lakh on the odo and was clean. No rattling noises. AC was kept at a pleasant 22-23 degrees. Picked up 1-2 pax at Palakkad at ~2315 hours after which the bus did not stop anywhere. Well driven and was literally able to "sleep like a baby" as KaSRTC advertises. Crew was polite and helpful. Dropped off at Madiwala at 630 AM - Extremely happy with this service and will not hesitate taking it again.

Totally contrasting experiences on KaSRTC's premium services on either leg !
Old 17th August 2012, 13:24   #2119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Does anyone know if other operators have Volvos on this route - earlier Kallada had a Volvo through Calicut which does not seem to be operational now. There was another operator called KRMS, dont see them anywhere now.
Why not check with Friends Travels, Madiwala? I've seen PK and Golden travels' Isuzu buses. Had travelled in PK to Thalassery once, but I don't know if they have services to Kannur.

Quote:
Wadakancherry
Was it really Wadakkanchery - the place on the Shornur-Thrissur route, or Vadakkenchery - between Vaniyampara and Alathur on the NH-47? If it was the former, then your bus took the Shornur route to avoid Kuthiran. Every passing day, I hear about the horror that Kuthiran has become.
Old 17th August 2012, 13:52   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bus took the route which goes through the Nagarhole sanctuary - reached here around 330 AM only to find out that the route is closed in the night and will open only at 6 AM.
He should have taken Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Srimangala-Kutta-Tholpetty -Mananthavady route. Although this route is in bad condition, there are no nighttime restrictions.

Quote:
Again missed the route to Kannur and ended up in Thalassery and finally was dropped off at Kannur at 11 AM ! Over 14 hours for a 350 odd km stretch.
He did not miss the route this time. The Airawats do go to Kannur via Telicherry.
11 AM in Kannur!! Thats way too late. I have never arrived late than 9AM even during the days when Makutta ghat road was closed for renovation.

Quote:
As far as I know, Golden travels volvo is the sole private volvo on this sector now. Ashoka and PK runs A/C buses (not volvos) to Telicherry and Kannur.
Also heard about a new operator - Cauvery travels. Not much info available though. They seem to be operated by Sansui Kannur, the same agency who used to deal with Pranamam travels Isuzu buses earlier.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 17th August 2012 at 13:53. Reason: typo
Old 17th August 2012, 13:59   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
The access to window for a lower berth passenger is a big question in any sleeper. I have traveled in some sleepers of SRM where the entire lower berth is covered and there will be zero visibility.
KPN Sleepers are different. You can open the windows fully from the lower berth in both the sides(Double berth and the oppsite side single one). I have travelled in their sleepers from Ooty to Chennai and am a regular traveller in their Chennai- Madurai sleeper service. I found it to the same design in all their buses. In upper berth, its the opposite, you get the sealed one, but can see through most of the time.

Last edited by RajeswaranK7 : 17th August 2012 at 13:59. Reason: typo in the posting
Old 17th August 2012, 22:16   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Perhaps you forgot the fact that Wednesday was a Holiday, on the account of Independence day. If one takes a two day leave (Thu/Fri), one can enjoy a 5 day vacation at home. By now, you might have understood why did KaSRTC run a special on Tuesday evening.
Yes Biinai - I didnt forget it was a holiday - I was at home for that reason - instead of Thu/Fri, took the previous Mon/Tue off instead and availing the take two get two free offer!! By the way most companies dont allow appending a holiday on BOTH sides of a leave - that is another matter!!!

And as having someone who spent a good part of his life practising (and trying to teach) what we are just talking about, why this Aug 15 was not a bonanza was for the simple reason that other major holidays like Id and Onam are around the corner and people would save their leaves for that generally. esp since this time Aug 15 fell mid week!!!

By the way I do totally agree with your Fri/Sun logic.

Anyway back to the topic

Last edited by bblost : 18th August 2012 at 21:55. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 18th August 2012, 09:22   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
As far as I know, Golden travels volvo is the sole private volvo on this sector now. Ashoka and PK runs A/C buses (not volvos) to Telicherry and Kannur.
Also heard about a new operator - Cauvery travels. Not much info available though. They seem to be operated by Sansui Kannur, the same agency who used to deal with Pranamam travels Isuzu buses earlier.
Cauvery is not a regular operator - they operate an old B7R during weekends. Ashoka is not running AC buses now. PK runs an Isuzu Big from Bangalore to Kozhikode via Virajpet, Iritty, Thalassery, Mahe, Vadakara. Golden is the only regular volvo operator on the Bangalore-Kannur-Payyanur-Thrikkaripur route.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 14:00   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Kallada Merc Accident:
Very bad shape indeed. Extremely happy and surprise to hear no casualty inspite of the fact that bus is half filled with water.
Thank god no life was lost. I have a question though - the inner wheel on the second rear axle seems to be missing or is it that multiaxles have only one pair of wheels on the rearmost axle?
Old 18th August 2012, 14:09   #2125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
is it that multiaxles have only one pair of wheels on the rearmost axle?
The tag axle (unpowered) wheel in the multiaxle buses have only one pair of wheels. In volvo this is in front of the rear powered wheels whereas in the Merc it is the rear most axle.
Old 18th August 2012, 14:19   #2126
BHPian

Quote:
My strong advice is to choose a different seat. Let them keep up their promise but dont take any risk by bringing back your back pain.

There may be several factors due to which your complaint may not be serviced at the promised time. So choose a different seat and check the condition of seat #1 during travel.
@Ashley, I am sorry I didn't heed to your advice as I had booked that seat already. But KSRTC didn't disappoint me. The seat was rectified. Update after this trip:

1. Departure was not on time - Bus arrived at the Shantinagar terminus at 1655 for a 1705 departure and eventually started at 17.30 only.
2. Traffic was thin and the sudden downpour made it an easy drive all the way up to E City.
3. But the driver got on board his buddy who travelled free in the conductor's seat till almost Attibelle. If they had not got into an incessant conversation we could have saved a good 10-15 mins. Till this guy got down, driver never exceeded 55-60 kmph even on open stretches but then started driving his usual style.
4. Driving style was bordering aggression with left lane and half shoulder overtaking and cutting across all 3 lanes in the 6 lane stretches between Bargur and Ambur. Lot of honking too.
5. Around 9 PM heard some carry bag rustling sound from the driver's end. Peeped over and ! Driver was eating his dinner while driving! fortunately the speed was only around 60 for those few minutes.
6. Wi-Fi was completely switched off this trip.
7. Used the loo for the first time - the dust bin door was not secure and there were used tissues littered on the floor. The lock did not also engage properly and another pax could open it even before I stepped out
8. Arrival this trip was 2355 at Koyambedu.

Made it a point to give the feedback on the loo and Wi-Fi
Old 18th August 2012, 14:36   #2127
BHPian

Quote:
the inner wheel on the second rear axle seems to be missing or is it that multiaxles have only one pair of wheels on the rearmost axle?
Sir, Merc multi-axles come with that wheel arrangement whereas with Volvo multi-axles (barring the 9400PX i-Shift) it is the other way around.
Old 18th August 2012, 15:06   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPT2625 View Post
Sir, Merc multi-axles come with that wheel arrangement whereas with Volvo multi-axles (barring the 9400PX i-Shift) it is the other way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autokrat View Post
The tag axle (unpowered) wheel in the multiaxle buses have only one pair of wheels. In volvo this is in front of the rear powered wheels whereas in the Merc it is the rear most axle.
@autokrat, @LPT2625, Thanks for the clarification. Didn't know this till now. What is the technical reason behind such a setup?
Old 18th August 2012, 15:16   #2129
BHPian

Quote:
What is the technical reason behind such a setup?
A singleset of wheels is adequate to achieve legally the gross vehicle weight (18T). A single set of wheels at the rear can also be made steerable which reduces the turning effort. Do not know the specific reason why Volvo 9400XL has it the other way around. Understand the volvo 9900 is also like the Merc with the single unpowered wheel in the rear most axle.
Old 18th August 2012, 19:13   #2130
VKS
BHPian

I recently traveled from Hyderabad to Bangalore and back .

My Onward journey was via Orange Sleeper Bus , I rate this bus highly for the punctuality , Cleanliness and courteous staff .

I returned via Kesineni Sleeper , Even this is better than other operators ,this is no match to the Orange , even the driving was a aggressive side making the journey very jerky .

Most Viewed